iPad Wordspector investigations now under way!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by moidoka, Nov 21, 2010.

1. moidoka

moidoka Well-Known Member

#1 moidoka, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    Word game fans rejoice! Wordspector, the fun and feature-packed word puzzler from Moido Games is now available on the App store.

The objective is to solve "mystery words" with the help of colour clues. It's a bit like mastermind with words (check the video for wordspecting 101). But that's just the main game; there are also three mini-games each with different rules.

All game modes have online leaderboards with Facebook integration and can be played in English, Spanish, French, Italian and Finnish. I'd love to get feedback especially from non-English players!

[hqyoutube]AN-CPsJ4n_g[/hqyoutube]

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Looks quite good.

3. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2010
    You know what it is...
    Washington D.C.
    Looks like a good word game with arcade sensibilities. Good stuff.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

I am having a lot of fun with this game as it is different from the other word games I have. Works well on the iPad as well.

5. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    +1 - Very polished, it scales well, and it's fun.

6. BazookaTime

I see you are number one. I am just trying to stay ahead of my wife.

7. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Different how?

Also, are the leaderboards through Facebook or standalone?

Thanks.

8. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I bought on your rec, so thank you. Way more interesting than Mastermind, IMO.

9. BazookaTime

There are global leaderboards that you can access in game. It is just a different type of word game, with excellent controls and addictive game play.

By different, you are given one letter of a four letter word and must figure out the word. The quicker you do this, the more points you score and then you move on to the next round. Eventually, you don't get any letters revealed and the words get longer.

To aid you, when you place a letter if it turns green it it in the correct spot. If it turns brown it is a correct letter but in the wrong spot. If the letter you placed is wrong, it will not be highlighted and will dim in the letterselection screen.

Sorry for the short explaination but it is late. I highly recommend this if you like word games.

10. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Thank you, will pick this up.

11. moidoka

Thanks everyone for the positive comments! And special thanks to BazookaTime for explaining the rules! However,
    This is just for the time-limited "Action" mode. There's also a "Puzzle" mode, which has no time limit, and the scoring is based on how many attempts it takes to solve the word. I know many people prefer to play word games without the time pressure, and Puzzle mode is designed for them.

Wordspector also has three mini-games, which all have slightly different rules. My personal favorite is the "Betweenies" minigame, in which the goal is to come up with words that use the given first and last letter.

They're standalone, but you have the option to log into your Facebook account and see the scores of your Facebook friends on a separate list. The mini-games in particular lend themselves perfectly for high score competition, as they only take couple of minutes.

12. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

Really nice game. Great variety from the different game modes. Couple of things I'd really like to see, if only as options:

Green letters to be filled in automatically; I know where they go, don't make me type them in. Likewise, for revealed letters after using a hint.

And

Give me the ability to place letters anywhere, not only from left to right. Particularly with longer words, this is quite important, as often a word needs to be partly visualized by placing letters next to the letter that's revealed, and if it happens to be the last letter of a word, I need to be able to place a letter next to it and work backwards.

13. BazookaTime

These are great ideas, maybe they will take a look at this in a future update. Having lot of fun with this game.

14. moidoka

Glad you like the game and thanks for the suggestions! The first one is something we've thought about ourselves at some point but decided against, because it would make it more difficult to form new words.

The second one is interesting, and I can see how it could be helpful in some cases. However, it would require pretty drastic changes to the whole interface, so all I can say is we'll think about it.. ;)

By the way, someone asked earlier what makes Wordspector different from other word games. Obviously the most unique thing about Wordspector is the way it combines word gaming with puzzle solving, thereby making the word gaming more accessible (and less dull, I think). You don't need to know obscure words like "KWYJIBO" to be successful. All the mystery words are everyday words and you can use everyday words to gather clues to solve them. What you do need is a sharp mind for analyzing the clues and figuring out which everyday word to use next!

(I know kwyjibo isn't really a word.)

15. statnut

statnut Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Game Impressions

Really digging this game. Currently #4 on the leaderboard (I think, I haven't checked in a bit).

16. BazookaTime

I think I am fifth or sixth. Am I missing how to scroll up to see the other scores?

17. moidoka

Nope, you're not missing anything. After a game the list is not scrollable. You'll just see 5 players above you and 4 below. You'll also see your personal best no matter how far above it is on the list. Hopefully it'll all make more sense once there are tons of scores on the lists.. ;)

If you go to the high score view from the main menu the list is scrollable.

18. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Need to add that this is a great game - just left you a review. It's quite a challenge coming up with all the words, and a lot of fun. Great interface, though I'd agree it would be nice to be able to place letters - perhaps drag them onto a particular place. I am getting used to it, though ;-). Great mini-games. If you enjoy word games, this is a solid pick.

19. moidoka

Thanks, much appreciated!

Guess we'll have to seriously consider the drag and drop feature then. It might work better on the larger iPad screen, though, because the letters get pretty small once you're up to seven letter words. (The first update will most likely transmogrify Wordspector into a universal app.)

20. secondtime

secondtime Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Universal = Outstanding!! Definitely first priority, I'd agree.

You must be a Calvin & Hobbes fan, too???