iPad WordPlay! Online

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eggzbacon, Jun 1, 2009.

1. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    [App Store Link, 0.99]

[​IMG]

2. dragon4ever

dragon4ever Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    This is a fantastic game. It's really fun playing against other people online.

3. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Looks great.. Finally a way to put all these new words I've learned from other word games to good use :D

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    This game was free last week

5. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    This looks almost identical to Word Scramble, which is free.

Anyone know of any substantial differences between the two? At a glance, I only see that Scramble offers pass-and-play multiplayer, this game offers a challenge mode, and the price difference.

Any more input would be appreciated, as I'm a sucker for word games.

6. dragon4ever

dragon4ever Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I have never played Word Scramble so I can't give you a fair comparison between the two. However, Word Play Online is a very fun game. What makes it a fun game is the fact that you get to play against four other people via WIFI/3G/Edge online.

The concept is simple, you need to make up as much words as possible within a grid of 16 letter blocks in a 3 minute time frame against other opponents.

7. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    #7 Uhgii, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
    Well, Word Scramble is roughly the same, except you can play against many more than 4 people at once over any connection, and on a 4x4 or 5x5 grid over a 2 or 3 minute time frame, with options to play solo as well. They honestly appear to be roughly the same, with the free game having more features, including Facebook connectivity.

I'm just not sure if I have it in me to spend a dollar for less features. And no, I'm not the developer of Word Scramble (Zynga is) or a fanboy, but I do own it, and am just unsure if WordPlay Online is worth my time, as it appears to offer less while charging more.

Edit: Apparently I forgot to update Word Scramble, and it DOES now offer a challenge mode as well.

8. spursrule

spursrule Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    There are three very similar games of this type: word play online, scramble and shake and spell.

Word play online is very smooth and quick. The biggest difference for this one is it penalizes you three seconds for a mispelled word. Not a huge player base so you often wait to play games, but its not terriably long. The scoring is also different as it only counts unique words. If you remember the old Tangle or Jumbalaya sites this is closest to that.

Scramble is very fast and smooth. Lots of players. Scramble also connects with facebook for friends and challenges. When inputting words you can drag your finger along the letters.

Shake and spell is the slowest of the three. You can drag your finger as well in this one, and it scores like scramble. This is unique in that you actually only play head to head. You can have buddies which also is connected with facebook. This head to head play is more of a "push" gameplay. Which makes this one feel much slower, although still a great game.

All three are great, and worth the paid versions if you like word games. Each unique enough to have all three on your machine at once.