iPad WordFu good game but....

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Alf101, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Alf101

Alf101 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    I picked up WordFu and I think its a great game and fun but...
    I would really like to see either something to set it for more time or even better a timeless mode. I really think thats all this game is missing to move up in the ranks...Maybe TouchArcade will review it and that may help also.. But like I was saying a timeless (Zen) mode would be great.

2. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    #2 rpb1975, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    Yeah..when I am in "zen mode," I love to hear Hiiiiiyaaaa! Hiiiiiihaaaaa! Yaaaa! Chaa! Hiiiiiyaaa! It is SO relaxing!;)

3. Alf101

Alf101 Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    lol

ok so maybe just a "Timeless Mode":p

4. greyscot

greyscot Active Member

Dec 25, 2008
    WordFu: a great concept, but limiting game modes

I agree, a "timeless" or extended time mode would really add to the game. I have bought it because of the game style and perceived strategy, but I am unfortunately getting limited play from it and turn to my other word games (Moxie, word jong, etc.) If I feel like a fast paced game I don't turn to a word game.

5. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Timeless would add to the game, but I love competing with friends for high scores in the limited time, and if you use the power ups, you can make the time much longer. You can also e-mail your friends your score and they can e-mail you back. It is fun. My dad and I both have this game, and we keep going back and forth in the "honor e-mails."

6. mmadden2

mmadden2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    i agree

here's another vote for timeless mode

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
  8. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Word fu is great and all but you need to search before you post.............

9. preuve

preuve Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Word Fu is a great concept and for $1 it's a bargain. However, for me the big problem is that there way too much emphasis on getting a decent set of first characters and too little on skill and strategy.

10. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I've come to find that ngmoco is mostly hype and not product :p

11. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Already found out about that after dropship. I must say their games are okay, but seriously they need someone there to actually play the games they made. Oh wait, they didn't actually make their own games, other indie developers made it for them. Ouch.

12. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I just don't like the fact you can use the word ass but you can't use the word balls...

13. ip0dt0uch

ip0dt0uch Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I kind of wished it showed the definition of the words that you put, but i know that would be hard.

Also, words that you have used before, i wish they somehow blocked those out or something so you dont waste your precious time :)

Otherwise, it is a fantastic game!

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    yep i have a hard time playing a game or 2 back to back, Mainly because I forget which word strings I already used...

15. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    I like this game, but if I see Mr. Young online, I'll pass the 'Timeless' suggestion onto him. It's a good one.

We're (PlayScreen) have this word game in the works:

http://crickler.com/crossword.html

Use the menu on the upper left to select the puzzles of the day.

16. Elio at ngmoco

Elio at ngmoco Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Timeless/Zen mode is definitely in our update plan from the responses we've gotten so far. Keep the suggestions coming as we're listening!

17. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    I wish it just kind of played the entire game for me :p

18. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    you can use ass because thats a donkey and you can use balls as well. you can use testes a nad along with those

19. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

The word ass has several meanings (see this page).

As for the game, I would like to see:
    1. "Timeless" mode
    2. Ability to set the timer for longer rounds
    3. Random mode (quick start), where the game picks a set of random letters for you to use, no chance to improve your letters.

20. preuve

preuve Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Difficulty Factor

I really think that a difficulty factor (like multiplier) should be applied to the score, depending on the initial selection of characters.

Letters "E", "T", "A", "S" should keep the difficulty factor low, whilst keeping 2 or more uncommon letters should add to the difficulty factor. A quick dictionary scan would also reveal how many short words, long words, words are available in total, which would modify the difficulty factor.

This would give far more reason to keep some tough letters, and really try and get to the threshold to be able to flick a die and keep trying.

It might be that my suggestion works better in a strategic timeless mode.