iPad Woohoo i did it!!! Blue attack no 1 in world!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by writingsama, Feb 13, 2009.

1. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #1 writingsama, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
    6,197,991! I BESTED TOSHI@JP!!!!! I am so proud of myself that I feel ashamed because it's just a videogame.

Nah nevermind WOO WOO

screens for proof its me OrgnlDave:

#246 with 5.931 million, two before my final wave (I went down a bit from that to the next...)
    #251 with my name highlighted as it highlights your name on the top 10 for you!

Toshi@JP has fallen!

btw I play with touch controls, one-handed, because I'm disabled. Maybe that's why I'm so proud! Great job designer of game, btw, allowing a disabled person to do that!

Attached Files:

2. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Congrats, quite the accomplishment. ^ ^

3. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

Congrats! Man, I wish I was that good at one game! :)

4. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Stop lowering my self-esteem. :(

5. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Congratulations! That requires a lot of skills! I'm not even close... :)

6. gootch12

gootch12 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    I'm struggling to break 2 mil! :eek:

You're Yoda. :D

7. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Wow....that is all I can say. Well done! I haven't topped 2 mil either. 6 is crazy good!

8. gootch12

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    I mean...how long was that game?!?

Didn't you get...hungry? :)

9. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    That's amazing! Congrats! :)

May I ask how long that took? :p

10. Seien

Seien Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    This is amazing. Congratulations are definitely in order! Now, like most others, I'm off to try to break 2 mil....

11. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Great job! :D I am very happy for you!

12. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    That... is.... insane.....

Good job though!

13. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #13 writingsama, Feb 13, 2009
    Thanks everyone!

I broke the game up...into like 3 sessions or something?

Hard to concentrate perfectly more than 30 minutes...you know, they've done studies...

I payed attention and the enemies actually start being worth LESS per core each wave over like 4.5million or something...even though you're maxed out, can't upgrade the ship, and it takes longer and longer to kill them, so you don't get as many x10's...it really becomes a different, more challenging game, where you have to change ALL of your strategies...i.e. letting your carrier take 20 hunter impacts so you can kill an oncoming capital/not lose 200k in wingmen...etc. You really have to know when to cut your losses and take certain risks because you're SO outpowered

I was sort of lucky not to run into any of the waves that its physically impossible to defeat before they blow your carrier because they are so much more powerful than your maxed out ship near the end...until I did and got that score :p...though I must note most of my score plateaus have been broken by discovering more optimal strategies for those specific waves, so maybe there is hope to go further, with even more optimal strategies...

also the big bosses seem to shrink together so its harder to maneuver inside them :-( I never max acceleration, I think it makes it too hard to maneuver precisely, but I do everything else, in this order:

1) After first wave, 1 wingman, 2 lives, so I can upgrade guns...and STRAFE
    2) focus on GUNS GUNS GUNS to get 10x multipliers
    3) when I max out the # guns per ship/wingman, so that wingmen go from 1 to 2 guns each, I start getting more wingmen instead of bullet damage/speed as its more effective than extra bullet damage up to like 6 wingmen...
    4) I _always_ have at least 2x the number of wingmen in extra ships...IMPORTANT RULE!...best is ((# of wingmen) x 2) + (2 to 4)...so i.e. 7 wingmen, 17 spare ships...
    5) when it becomes convenient I start maxing out ship specs such as speed boost and speed...
    6) though turn rate is maxed in the first few waves, and speed boost gets its first level soon too...to get over to those x10 multipliers and (up above 4.5 million or so) escape hunter swarms that would devastate wingmen
    7) Never more than 20 spare ships...even when I have 1mil+ unused...losing more than 20 ships (300,000) off my score would be rather self-defeating, by the time I have 8 wingmen...
    8) I don't bother with bombs past wave 8 or so...until I have spent all my money elsewhere and maxed it all out, I then max them, and they are useful for like 2 specific (but important) situations, I keep 20 on hand each wave then
    9) At the very end, when its inevitable, just let the carrier die so you don't lose the aforementioned 300k in score...
    10) also, if I have 150k during the gun buying stage, I may max the # of shots/second, then next wave sell that to help upgrade bullet damage...whatever's mathematically optimal

PROTIP: the pushy thing can be good (fully upgraded, later on, after guns are nearly maxed) to get hunter swarms off your back when you're attacking a captial ship...and help with the capital ship too!

basically you try to do so much damage that everything dies immediately before you for the first 3 or so million...focus on that. you'll get lots of 10x multipliers which helps tons. I think that enemy difficulty increases independently of score, so it's very important to score as much as possible as fast as possible...I could be wrong though.

also I use formation #3, "wedge", the one right after the snake that is, and no others. Important later for when there's no room for *all** the buttons: formation I swap in at the start, change, then swap out...

I strafe, reverse is only used rarely/for hunter swarms or orbiting baddies at times, but careful flying and speed boosting at times (to save wingmen!) avoids the need for either mostly

Anyway, I hope the screenshot answers your original question

Attached Files:

14. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Good job man. I just purchased blue attack because I got so frustrated that the global high scores weren't working for blue defense that I stopped playing it and I needed a new game for down time.

15. gootch12

Dec 30, 2008
    New Orleans, USA
    #15 gootch12, Feb 13, 2009
    Incredible.

Almost an hour and a half! :eek:

That is insane.

Thanks for the tips. I will try to employ some of them this weekend when I get a serious chance to play. :)

EDIT:

Now it is no 6+mil, but...

I just played one last game for the night (actually my only game for tonight), and I just broke 2 mil!

I even broke 3 mil!

3,359,336 :eek: I'm feelin pretty good about that. :D

Again, it's no 6 mil, but I just doubled my previous high! Game was over 40 minutes long.

Thanks for giving me some of that good gris-gris, writingsama! :)

16. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    Sorry to anyone just reading this thread right now - I'm having some server issues, so you won't be able to see this amazing high score first hand!

Blue Attack's online high scores have been temporarily disabled. They should be back up tomorrow, but if not I'll post here again.

If you manage to get any more awesome scores, they'll be held on your device until the server comes back up, and they'll be submitted at that time.

Sorry, guys!

Blue Defense had a similar problem, and I started fixing it first because the database table is simpler than Blue Attack's tables... so I've just now managed to fix Blue Defense, and I need SLEEP. so I know where the problem is, for the most part, and all should be well later on tomorrow. give me maybe 16 hours. :p

17. jakooistra

jakooistra Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Video Game Designer
    Canada
    As a side note, I think I still haven't broken 1.5 million in infinite.

You guys are insane!

18. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    #18 Donburns99, Feb 13, 2009
    Jeez... nearly 90 minutes. :eek:

Hopefully the database issue wasn't something as silly as setting the table's ID type too small and having it stuck at it's maximum range/boundary. I remember running into that problem a few years back making a web game for fun.

19. stanny

stanny Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    6 million? Thats madness. Good job buddy.

20. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Congrats!

Getting your name on any high score list always feels good. Unfortunately, after that is done I usually put the game down as it happened to me with Burnball most recently.