iPad Wooden Labyrinth 3D now on app store!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by eVp, Feb 11, 2009.

1. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    #1 eVp, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
    Hey,

[​IMG]

My second iPhone game after the Finnish smash hit Pajatzo is a bit more familiar concept to also people living outside Finland. It's probably so familiar that some of you might be put off by it. :)

Why did I make a game that's been made many times already? Well, I didn't like any of the former entries enough. I thought Labyrinth wasn't tapping into the iPhone's power as much as it could (and was too expensive) and that the rest of them were just weak imitations. After completing the the 3D effects in a week I figured Illusion labs' guys should really make good on their promise to update, or face some competition. ;)

So what do we have here? Wooden Labyrinth 3D a three dimensional version of the beloved childhood game wooden labyrinth. You tilt your iPhone to move the marble while navigating around holes. As an added twist, Wooden Labyrinth 3D allows you to "jump" the ball by shaking the iPhone vertically. By jumping, you may traverse over obstacles or even land on some of the lower walls. There are plenty of levels however that do not require/allow you to jump. (jumping can get annoying on a bumpy bus ;) )

Oh, and the camera's perspective is based on the tilt of the device. This really gives you a fun feeling of having a real wooden labyrinth stuck within your phone. There are plenty of custom recorded sound effects in the game and an original acoustic soundtrack (or your iPod music, if it's playing). There's 100 levels with par time and developer time challenges that grant you silver and golden stars. A level editor will be made public some time soon. (the price will jump to $4 after that, so be quick).

I'd like to tell you more about the seamless menu system or the way you can calibrate the accelerometers any time during the game, but I'm thinking this is getting too long to read. Head over to App Store to check it out. Wooden Labyrinth 3D is going for a suitable $3. ;)

App Store Link

[HQYOUTUBE]lipHmNbi7ss[/HQYOUTUBE]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

Elias Pietilä

2. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    #2 monk666, Feb 11, 2009
    woah, is this the start of the labyrinth cloning season? We just had the Sudoku and TD cloning seasons not so long ago...

Anyways, the graphics look crisp and clean. Having a 3rd dimension to "jump" the ball is a cool twist to the formula. But i guess i'll only buy it when i run out of new games to play... I'd already spent $7 on labyrinth, can't justify more cash for basically the same game... sorry. I'm sure others will like it.

3. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    wow! looks loveely with the 3D

4. Blaqkie

Blaqkie Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Wow. Your application looks so nice. It doesn't have the level editor like Labyrinth on the app store already, or the bigger space, or TONS of levels, but I think we can managed with the awesome possum 3D!!

I love it. Would a level editor be possible? Like Labyrinth and all that jazz? :p

5. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #5 salsamd, Feb 11, 2009
    " A level editor will be made public some time soon. (the price will jump to $4 after that, so be quick)."

Still, how do you effectively market this very polished product when Labyrinth is still #91.

1. Lite version ?
    2. youtube video ?

6. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I still haven't finish all the level packs on the original Labyrinth app.

7. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    This looks really great, but before I spend any money on it, I'd really want to try a lite version with just a couple of levels — including a level or two with the "jumps" rather than just a couple of rolling-only levels.

And I'll tell you why I say that... I've tried Labyrinth and the physics of the ball rolling just feels so perfectly natural and great and realistic. I've also tried a couple of the other ball-in-a-maze type games and the ball-rolling just felt wrong. It rolled too slowly, ie: it didn't emulate real gravity situations, or it rolled too fast, etc.

So whilst Labyrinth *feels* great, it's a boring game in that, although there's so many levels, they're all pretty much just the same thing over and over and over again. And it's over-priced for what it is.
    Having jumps, like in your game, or sliding blocks or bouncers or sticky patches like in some other games, adds a great twist to what could otherwise be a very boring game.
    These advantages that these games have though soon amounts to nothing though if the ball-rolling doesn't feel right.

So... any plans for a lite version?

8. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Agree with others: you need a Lite version and YouTube video to turn curiosity into purchases. Especially if there's already a strong leadrunner already.

9. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Ahh, there's a whole set of pre-made youtube material. Too bad the App popped online while my youtube guy is sleeping. Darn time difference. The youtube clips are private at the moment. Hopefully they'll be online later today.

Lite version is always a possibility, seeing how well some of the apps have done with one. (and hey, supporting a starving college student is never a bad idea - that reminds me.. I'm starving because I didn't eat lunch yet.. got to go!)

And by the way, the physics are pretty sweet let me assure you. You'll likely get a good idea once the youtube clips come live!

10. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Another question, about the proposed level editor...
    How will this work?
    Will you be able to design your level and then submit it from within the game?
    And more importantly, will you be able to download other levels that other people have submitted from within the game?

I ask this because I have recently seen another game that came with a level editor, but it only allowed you to design your own levels and then keep them in your own device. That's it. The way to submit them to the developer was to take a screenshot and to then email it to him. Then, if he liked it, he would have to manually re-create the level and add it into the game himself, and release it as an update to the game, to be downloaded through iTunes.

11. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I've done an editor in Flash, which will pop online once I've added the needed support into the game and to the server. It will work by you creating a level pack online, for which you get an autogenerated code. Then you download the pack on the device with that code. You may then send this code to your friends or post it on forums.

For apparent quality concerns, a direct distribution to all Wooden Labyrinth 3D players is not possible. However, some of the user created levels will start appearing built-in into the future updates.

I feel an online editor is much more pleasurable for the users to use. Sure, you can't do it on the go, but the interface for making pixel perfect maps on the iPhone would be a burdensome task to design and develop.

12. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    ok.

I've played it briefly. and it feels good. feels "right" as Brett mentions the original does. There are settings to change also. Jumping adds a nice twist to it. And the 3d-aspect is nice. Pseudo-3D with tilt is a bit exaggerated but still interesting/nice.

so, a very good version. If the screenshots appeal to you, it is as you'd expect. I'll spend more time with it.

oh, and the ball rolls nicely/realistically when you hit a hole.

arn

13. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    OK a suggestion and a question.

I suggest you do a lite version. Look at all the sucess stories. Labyrinth by Ilusion Labs is ok. But people will be doughtful just to buy an app from a indie dev (yes it's sad) without trying it out first.

I can review the app if you want. But arn's review is what you really want. ;-)

So the level editor will be like SlotZ with codes?

14. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    It seems there is demand for a lite version. Hmmh. ;)

I'm not sure how SlotZ works since I haven't played it. However, the system is quite simple. You create a pack online and get a ten digit code. The editor saves an xml on the server which your game accesses based on the code. The level pack loader already supports off-site level loading, so the changes that are needed are not too great.

Here's a quick gameplay clip. It doesn't really showcase the jumping though. (nor the in-game calibration)

[HQYOUTUBE]lipHmNbi7ss[/HQYOUTUBE]

15. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    SlotZ u make the track and email yourself a 4 digit code. I don't mind 10 digits.

16. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Oooooooh, that *does* look nice... :)

Sorry, another question though: On the Options screens, what's the difference between Friction and Sensitivity?

17. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I like the game play video. From the look of it I can tell that the game play is smooth. The music need some change though I think.

18. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Sensitivity tells you how much tilt is required to inflict a certain force to the ball. Friction determines how this force affects the ball and how the ball moves when there is the force is removed (inertia).

If your friction is at "casual", the ball stops almost instantly, if you remove the force (very easy to control). If you have it at realistic, you will have trouble holding the ball in place, as the smallest force will move it and it won't stop moving until you tilt the other way. (you can go faster, but it's challenging)

The music does seem somewhat annoying based on the video, but it's quite relaxing when you use earphones. And as stated, if your iPod is playing music, it will continue to play it. ;)

19. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    I suspected as much. Thanks for the answer. :)

20. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Man!! Why can't I see the video on my iPod? Anyways; I'll look at it from my computer later. I really must go. Let me knownif you are interested in a review.