Wondering

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dannys95, Nov 7, 2008.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I was wondering; is it hard to port a Android app to iPhone? Hold on, don't freak out. I do not develop at all. But if google let u use sketch up to build the graphics for apps in android, then you can make good graphics. Add some code you have a good app. If it's easy to port to iPhone, work is almost done and you have awesome graphics. then u don't have to buy other 3d engines like unity, you just use sketch up. anyone know if it's hard to port an app from android to iphone?

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

your looking at java (android) to Objective C /Cocoa Touch (iphone)

it can be done, i'm not saying its easy, most likely from the ground up, but will apple accept it, is it worth the risk?

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Nope, that's not how it works at all. Also, what app you use to make graphics is irrelevant; the only thing that matters is skill. High skill = good graphics, low skill = bad graphics. There are no apps that make awesome graphics for you.

--Eric

4. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    I highly doubt that Google is giving people a 3D loader and engine. People are just using Sketchup and exporting to a 3D format. Probably OBJ or FBX. Besides it's easier to convert a model to OBJ or FBX and use that. Much more universally known.

5. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    You might wanna check our http://anim8or.com/ for an easy free 3d modeler/animator, which I think is much better than sketch up for making games.

as far as going from android to iphone its probably easier to go the other way, but still hard. Given the specs of the G1 are also about half as good as the iphone your going to have to make some cut backs if your game is hard on resources. we are working on a java binding package to make programming on both platforms much easier.

6. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I meant IF google let u use sketchup. Like I said I do not code. I am on a PC. I was just wondering.

7. bovinedragon

bovinedragon Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    It sounds like you didn't get what some people said. Sketchup is a 3d modeler, not a game engine. What program you use to make your models has absolutely no relevance on how you app looks. It like how you create a photo in Photoshop, but you do not use Photoshop on your phone to display it, you have to write that part yourself.