Universal Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gwarmaxx, May 29, 2019.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    The Lion is freaking MAJESTIC.

2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Game crashed when I came across the blue frog in the desert

3. Jackaluk

Jackaluk Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    #63 Jackaluk, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Hey Guys, like you said no right or wrong here, though of course I’m right and you’re wrong ;). For me though, the way I see it is, yes I’ve spent a tonne of money on an iPhone XS Max, I also own an iPad 11 as well, so not that I have money to burn, but an extra $50 (I live in NZ, so it actually costs. Even more but we’ll keep it simple) on a controller at this point wont break the bank. What I then get is the ability to play games in the best way possible. That may well be touch screen in some instance, say CIV IV, or a tower defence game. But wherever a controller is an option it’s the controller without a doubt. It’s still easily small enough to fit in a small ‘man’ bag or of course say your school bag. No way does a game say like GRID, or any twin stick shooter play as good a with a controller. And games like this and Grimvalor can’t compete with a controller no matter how good the touch controls. Dont even get into retro gaming with say provenance!!

But you guys both pick up a difference between us. I do have a PC, that’s for battlefield, I don’t have a Console, so for me I actually game quite a bit on iOS it’s probably my main gaming platform . For that reason why would I want to compromise? Yes there is something great about a device that fits in your pocket that you can game on without anything else required. But, it’s still often a comprise, adding a controller makes it far less so. Just finally, coz I don’t think everyone knows how easy it is to combine a controller and phone, in my case a nimbus!

https://www.reddit.com/r/iosgaming/comments/abc2si/though_this_might_help/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

And for my iPad setup

https://www.reddit.com/r/iPadPro/comments/aaeipe/ultimate_gaming_rig/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

I know I come across as a bit of an evangelist for controllers in these forums, that’s because I think iOS is an awesome gaming platform that should be smashing devices like the switch. If more developers add controller support many more of us can choose how we play and we can play for the better with a controller, but of course it’s a commercial thing as well. I love the fact that DotEmu and 10tonnes make all games pretty much MFI compatible. I believe it’s partly because they know their games are best played that way, which due to the genre of many releases they are!

I rest my case Gents.

Lull4by likes this.
  4. I requested for a refund. The control is so terrible

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Just completed the game (iPhone X, normal, touch controls).
    Took me almost 10 hours.

Wonderful game, wonderful port...straight to GOTY.

So many cool mechanics, so many cool details.

I’m super sad....didn’t want it to finish.

Highly recommended.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  6. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #66 Gwarmaxx, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    totally agree with you... it's FANTASTIC!!!

almost finished, 12 hours and counting with all secrets and characters stones
    btw, the Mouseman stone is hellishly hard to take.

Pitta likes this.
  7. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I completed the game but I miss the mouseman stone which is insane.
    Always get up on the rooftop sticky stone but I can’t for the life of me drop myself on the bottom one.
    Not sure if there is something more if you get all stones besides achievement..
    As far as I saw I did everything else but that stone and one item in the shop (I’m not nice looking enough apparently).
    Not sure if related.

GLORIOUS game.
    I really hope they will port Monster Boy as well.
    I’ll be there day one.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  8. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i've tried that level at least 50 times, in a couple of days, before reach the door to the stone!!!
    really insane, but that's the true spirit of the old school platformers, and who was there those days clearly understands what i mean.

Pitta likes this.
  9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I did it!!!!
    I did it!!!!!

If only I had that sword midgame!!!!!

What a game!!!
    Super sad I completed it.

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  10. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I agree with everything here.. I don’t have an Xbox or PlayStation or even pc.. for me my iPad/Apple TV *is* my console. Sure I like playing touch screen games, but if I have the choice between buying a touch screen game or one which supports controllers, I’ll get the controller one every time! :)

11. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    Fantastic game. I made it up to the Fish but couldn’t handle the touch controls any longer. All it needs (for me) is a floating left joystick and it’d be perfect. There was a new update today to do with controls that looked promising, but it didn’t seem to change much at all unfortunately. We know that it’s definitely possible to create amazing touch controls, but implementing them seems to be a secret that not all developers know.

12. jicon

jicon Member

Jun 17, 2012
    My favorite game on the master system. I managed to finish Wonder Boy in Monster Land in ‘88, and where this one picked up at the end of that first game just made it that much better.

I was really compelled to get a Switch a year ago to get the remake, but never pulled the trigger... now contemplating getting a PS4 controller or something when iOS13 comes out for this one. Just love the look of this one.

I found a Wonder Boy bundle on PS3 years ago, with a Wonder Boy 4, but sadly it lost the charm of Monster Land and Dragon’s Trap. Very different game I think.

13. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    On sale $3.99
    This or Pixboy?

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I mean, I love Pixboy, but this by a mile.

CygnetSeven likes this.
  15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Was gonna say buy both. This is a classic but Pixboy is also very very good

CygnetSeven likes this.
  16. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Done and done. Can’t wait to dig into both.