Universal Wonder Blade (By Puppet Depot Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PuppetDepot, Aug 9, 2018.

1. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    I found a little trick for easy gold (500-600 per attempt), it's really helpful when you unlock the shop after Level 2 and are able to buy max potions + feathers whenever you want.

You know how there are challenge bonus games after each level (smash the car, break the barrels)? Turns out, you only have to beat the last section of a level to get another bonus game. I've found that Level 1's pig chase is pretty easy and only takes about a minute or so, and each successful run gets you a bonus game.

Considering how easy it is to abuse this, I'd almost go as far as to say this should be nerfed a bit :p

PuppetDepot likes this.
  2. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    #142 sakara214ever, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    I really liked this game's look i said i would not but i took the risk and bought it because i trust the "general" judgement coming from toucharcade's players (Reviewers and players like me hardcore or not). I myself like many other players have played a ton of easy difficult medium hardcore etc games. I know when to call a game hardcore difficult etc.
    But let's be honest. This game at the second boss (which i beat after two hours of grinding and 4,5 hours of playing against it) is just BAD design. I do not know why some people are just "afraid" to call it that way. There is a huge difference between "hardcore game" and "bad designed game".
    The dev said that he will fix it and that is a good thing i trust he will. Here in toucharcade the vast majority of the forum members and staff appreciate honest devs and try to support them in any way possible. So yeah congrats on this amazing gem you made sir keep up the great work.
    To anyone looking for a reason to buy this game i am telling you that it is worth it till the 2nd boss. When you reach it you will possibly die A LOT before defeating it not because you are playing bad or you are playin a hardcore game but because at that stage the design is just bad. Nothing more nothing less. After that things go better (at least till you win the third boss) so i have not gone any further to judge.
    Couple other things i noticed.
    The cutscenes are annoying because you have to see them over and over when you die without being able to skip them
    A floating virtual stick would be welcome for some players especially when playing on iPads.

stubbieoz likes this.
  3. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Not all players want a hard as nails brutal game experience, actually the majority don’t. A challenge yes, but not something that you feel you are knocking your head against a wall. Some do of course, but they are the minority. That’s what difficulty levels have been invented for, to offer the choice to either group. I really want to love this game but the 2nd boss needs to be really pushed back in difficulty - a lot. He’s actually the first boss, and those are supposed to be rather easy - that’s why games have a difficulty curve by modern game design. I also agree to a previous comment that the pig escape at the end of world 1 is also too difficult, I was able to pass it on like my 3rd attempt, but less experienced players would for sure find it too hard, be frustrated and quit.

4. PuppetDepot

PuppetDepot Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Hi guys!

The 1.01 version will submitted to Apple tomorrow, and soon you'll be able to update it.
    This version weakens Boss's difficulty, improves the ability to dodge and capture enemies, and fixes bugs. Hopefully you won't lose enthusiasm because of the current difficulty. Thank you for love this game :)

Cheers!

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i'm glad for the coming update as well. The second boss is screaming "grind your butt off" which is only ok on optional bosses imo.
    Like L., i am untouched against the boss itself with chipping away and dodging, until one mob attacks and locks me in place for the one seond the boss needs to pummel 1/3 or 1/2 my health.
    That would take more patience and nerves to beat than Ornstein&Smough solo and underleveld.

6. Stag

Stag Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Can''t wait for the first update. How about the ability to skip the cutscenes. Will that be in this update as well

Wulala and anthony78 like this.
  7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It has to be said again, in its current state, the second boss does NOT require grinding at all. Make dodging your religion and keep a few health potions around and you'll be fine. Again, I'm not saying a few tweaks wouldn't benefit the game, but PuppetDepot's said it a bunch of times...changes will/have been made. His last post should be the end of the wild boss complaints.

GiHubb, the balcony bomber enemy at the end of level 1 is actually the first boss.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Frankly, metalcasket, you are wrong. You may have found a way to beat it easily — good for you. But I’ve spent over three hours trying to beat this boss, and the way it ended up for me (read my story above) made me lose confidence on this developer’s ability to create a balanced, enjoyable experience.

And that’s the thing: this is not a fun boss, or a fun challenge. It actually put me in a bad mood, which is exactly the opposite I want from gaming. The reason we are making a big deal of this is that the rest of the game is so good, and this is the kind of thing that will kill a game — which would be very, very unfortunate.

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  9. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Skip cutscene need more time, but I think that after the balance adjustment at least you don't have to watch cutscene many times.

10. lboldham

lboldham Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 14, 2015
    Hi @PuppetDepot, I want to congratulate you on making a fun, and visually impressive game.

I can’t imagine that the incredibly low price of $3 truly reimburses the amount of time and resources your 2-man developer team put in to provide iOS gamers a great gaming experience. I think some forum responders have lost perspective on the massive undertaking of game development and the experience they are getting for such little money.

I have most all of the same constructive criticisms as others regarding difficulty. Yet, I recognize and appreciate that you have been heavily responsive on the forums, have kindly listened to both appropriate and unnecessarily harsh feedback, and taken suggestions for which you have already submitted an update. To me, that lends great confidence in you as a developer.

So, thank you for all you have done and continue to do for what appears to be your first iOS game release. I wish others here would be more patient and pleasant when responding with their criticisms. I just want to sincerely offer my appreciation.

11. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    #151 PuppetDepot, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Thank you, the opinions of the players I will listen carefully, and try to make up, many people like my game I am very happy. There must be a lot of imperfections in this game, and even a lot of updates to follow, but I want to say I will try my best, if the future really does not satisfy everyone, maybe just because I can not achieve. And Sorry for my poor english.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Trust me, considering how angry the game made me, I was very, very gentle. In any event, my comments all come from a deep appreciation of what these guys have accomplished.

13. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Take a break and relax, you'll not be angry after updating :) Thanks for your trust and concern.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I know — thanks for all your efforts!

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Has anyone reached the fish boss yet? It takes a while to reach him so I haven't been able to test out too many strategies. I'm not sure how to dodge his leap attack out of the water. It hits me 100% of the time and the boat is so small that I'm not sure how you would dodge it. Jumping doesn't seem to work to dodge it either. Hmmm...

@PuppetDepot I think you should put a checkpoint at the giant fish boss instead of on the beginning of his area. Having to redo the mini fish attacking scene to reach the boss over and over is bothersome. The other boss checkpoints are placed fairly but this one makes you redo a long battle scene to reach the boss.

16. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    #156 PuppetDepot, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    After update you can easy to dodge it, just notice to the exclamation mark.

17. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Hi guys,

Version 1.01 has been submitted and waiting for review.

*Difficulty and balance adjustment.
    *Enhanced performance of dodge and capture of enemies.
    *Combo hits is easier than before.
    *Fix the UI display bug on iPhone6s/plus.

Thank you for your positive suggestions over the past few days.:)

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm struggling to find the part of this thread where I said I'm right. While part of me has been pro-current difficulty in the game, I've said time and time again that the game (or specifically the wild boss) would benefit greatly from some tweaking. I understand that you are (nay, were, based on your most recent posts) frustrated and pissed off having put so much time into that battle, but I know exactly where you're coming from...I spent literally every free second of mine over the course of 24 hours trying to beat that thing until PuppetDepot's video, as Jared so eloquently put it, showed me how much I underutilized the dodge button up until that point. Hell, even when stepping up my dodging game, I had to resort to using multiple health vials.

All I'm trying to say is just as much as the wild boss has been pissing people off...look, I ****ing love this game, and it's been equally frustrating watching people write it off and stop recommending it because of this one boss, especially when these concerns have already been addressed. With what happened in your case specifically, however, I'm more than certain it was a freak accident and it was never in the intentions of the developers for that to happen. No matter how much restraint you had in your initial pissed off post, trust me...you can sense how much anger and disdain you had toward the developer at one point.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  19. Koemi Bear

Koemi Bear Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 25, 2017
    Female
    United States
    Hmm, got about half way through the game, sixth boss or so before the update, which is a shame, I was trying to finish before the difficulty changes. The second boss stumped me as well, but I learned and adapted. To grind and fight the second boss for four hours and still not pass is absurd in my opinion. I haven’t died against a boss after the second. None the less, great game, and happy to hear that the difficulty has been lowered as now more people can enjoy the game.

PuppetDepot likes this.
  20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I honestly think it's up to the play-style of the person playing on which boss is "easier". They all have a different kind of strategy. The 2nd boss everyone hates took me 4 tries, the 3rd boss took me 4 tries, and now the 4th boss I think is the hardest one yet since I can't figure out how to dodge it at all. I've hit 5-6 tries on the fish. Imo the 2nd boss is not the hardest, even though he is not easy.

But I'm not mad or anything because I'm grinding and as a huge RPG fan, I love grinding (given that the gameplay is fun and not dull). When I'm leveling up I'm getting more stat points, new skills, and on the way more money. The skills are the best part because you get really awesome, game changing upgrades, like the fire burn that has been so effective on many of my battles. Since the bosses pack a punch, I've elected to put the most points into health instead of an attack / crit build - so it comes down to preference again.

So I don't feel bad about failing at all unless I've been fighting the same boss for a month then maybe that might annoy me. But that hasn't happened yet.