Universal Wonder Blade (By Puppet Depot Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PuppetDepot, Aug 9, 2018.

1. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    thank you for this labor of love and masterpiece!

and hey, content updates or DLC’s doesn't need to be free at all. i will pay literally any price you’ve put on them. just saying. :3

PuppetDepot likes this.
  2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    So I played for a bit and... wow. Like WOW. This seemingly random game out of nowhere imo should be in the runnings for Game of the Year if it keeps up this level of quality throughout.

I have so many good things to say about this. First off, the art. It's spectacular. All the characters show so much goofy emotion, the enemies down to the backgrounds all have detailed art. Everything looks alive. The bosses included are varied and awesome. Everything looks fantastic. The humor definitely reminds me of Castle Crashers which means lots of crazy fun.

The gameplay itself is extremely smooth. I didn't even expect this. This is probably the smoothest hack and slash I've ever played right next to ICEY. Once you play it, you'll feel it. It just feels good. You can attack with regular or magic attacks while also learning new moves that may require you to hold down the attack button. Additionally if you see a Y prompt you can instantly execute the enemy. The gameplay has lots to upgrade and unlock through the story and that includes costumes and weapons. You can go back and play the old levels if you want. There's random mini games right on the first level from dodging obstacles to smashing a car just like Street Fighter. I'm in love. One positive for me is the game isn't too easy. I failed quite a few times on the first level but it wasn't to the point of frustration. I like a little bit of challenge in my games but not too much. This feels good imo.

Overall, it feels like playing Castle Crashers on mobile with a mix of Kingdom Rush flair. Hell, why ain't Castle Crashers on mobile? This however could be the next best thing!

-------------------

It's actually hard to find any critiques to this game but I guess here are few things that I wish for:

I would hope that you could hit enemies while they're on the ground. It just feels weird to have to wait for the enemy to get back up to finish them off. This also conflicts with the Y execution, because even if you see the Y prompt, you can't execute them unless they're standing upright. So that's a "error" in a way since you can't use the Y unless they are in fighting position.

The charge attack moves have to be done before you ever hit the attack button which makes them often hard to use in mid-battle. You should be able to hold down the attack button to charge up an attack in the middle of a combo to make the battle smoother. Often times when trying to charge attack I would end up having my character stand completely still because the game doesn't recognize the input of a charge attack if you are in the middle of attacking. I think changing this would make the game even better.

My other more wishful dream is to have a more complex fighting system. This one isn't bad and is even better than a standard hack and slash game, however, my favorite hack and slash fighting system has to be one similar to "Dynasty Warriors". Basically you hit the "standard attack" button a certain number of times, then hit the "special attack" button to trigger a special move. The number of times you hit "standard attack" before the "special attack" dictates what kind of move you will do. I think this adds complexity to hack and slash games so the tapping doesn't turn too repetitive. I would hope some people could take advantage of this kind of system.

-----------

Thanks for the awesome game dev :)

TLDR: Buy this game and support good games

solarnya, dukat111 and nyanpass like this.
  3. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    This isn't the kind of game I normally go for but was intrigued by the art style and animations from the posted videos deciding to give it a try.

I must say that I am blown away!
    Everything about this game is premium from the art, animation, humor, skills abilities and even surprisingly excellent touch screen controls.

I can't wait for additional content, particularly hoping for more quests/stories to greatly extend the game and echo other posters comments that I'd be glad to pay for additional content to support you.

Would it be possible to add Cloud Sync support?
    I'd love to be able to go between iphone and ipad depending on where I am.

Also looking forward to Mifi support.

Great job, hope to see this on Apple's editor's pick list soon so it can get the publicity it deserves.

4. PuppetDepot

PuppetDepot Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Maybe I will add rogue-like mode in next gen Wonder Blade 2 :D It can greatly increase playability, which is really a good idea.

5. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Good job, I think you can change a cool weapon! that can help you a lot, whether fighting or feeling. :) Remember often use jumping and dodging in the battle is the key! Especially in the face of powerful enemies and boss! There are many horrific boss behind you. Challenge! Don't be scared!:D:D:D

solarnya likes this.
  6. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    T
    Thanks for warm comments and suggestions! :)

Please understand that for a game developer with obsessive-compulsive disorder, making a good game is a salvation to himself.:) and it's also a respect for the players who support them.

I'll keep a record of your suggestions and hope to make changes in the future, but there are lots of interesting ideas to do in the future. We only have 2 people and we'll try our best.

7. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Cheers! There are lots good ideas to be updated in the future. Sometimes I even wish I had 8 hands Lol

I sent emails to Apple editors but no reply, but I think they might have noticed.:)

8. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Big Thanks!

9. Wulala

Wulala Member

Aug 10, 2018
    I already download it and do have lots of fun. However, can u do help support the MFI controller? It can only use the movement but ABXY.
    Thank you to create such wonderful game.

FamilyThatGames likes this.
  10. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Okay so I’ve been playing it for a while now. But can’t seem to clear even the first boss. Is it supposed to be this hard? Or am I missing something.

One suggestion: Since this seems more of a hardcore beat-em-up. Please add a option to skip the cutscenes. Thanks.

dukat111 likes this.
  11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Try using jump attacks. That really helped me evade a lot of his attacks.

12. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Alright. I’ll try that. Thanks.
    That spinning roll attack hits hard. And it’s very hard to move out of its way fast enough.

13. Rocksaint

Nov 29, 2013
    Nah. Tried jumping and attacking. Still keep getting hit. It’s almost as if the jump isn’t high enough.

14. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Hi, you can tap jump and dodge at any time during attacking to stop attack (Besides EXECUTION
    and ULTIMATE TECHNIQUE), So that combat changes are more abundant, even unlimited combo.
    Hope can help you :)

15. invulse

invulse Well-Known Member

Amazing game, but the balancing of the bosses and regular stages is pretty bad right now. Bosses attacks are very hard to dodge at times because your movement speed / roll distance can’t move all the way through them and the bosses cause damage even if you’re mostly behind them during an attack. The second bosses roll attack is completely unfair and can kill you in a single attack. That combined with a high time to kill makes them seem very unfair.

16. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Thanks, it's in the plan list :)

17. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Well this is a nice surprise. Wasn't expecting this, but based on all the comments gave it a go. Much deeper than I thought it would be and excited to play more later.

PuppetDepot likes this.
  18. dragon4ever

dragon4ever Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    It’s rare that a fanatic game such as this comes out of the blue with no hype to surprise everyone. I hope you take the App Store by storm.

PuppetDepot likes this.
  19. PuppetDepot

Aug 3, 2018
    Male
    Hi guys!

There are some useless fun sketches, maybe someone like it :)

Lots of interesting ideas have been abandoned for some reasons, maybe they will be re realized in the future.

c1.png
    c2.jpg
    c3.png
    1.png
    2.png
    3.png
    4.png
    5.png
    6.png
    7.png

sebgo, tex32, Chief_x2 and 2 others like this.
  20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I kind of agree. The first boss was okay, but the second one is a steep jump in difficulty. One issue is a particular pet peeve of mine: when you die and restart the section, everything resets except your consumables. That makes the second go around even more difficult than the first, and forces you to grind every time you take on the boss. I find that very, very frustrating — and not in a fun way.

It’s too bad, because this is otherwise a fantastic game.