Universal Wolfenstein 3D Classic Platinum (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jchampl, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    what no multi-gesture ;)

2. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    If they implement G-d Mode I'll buy it faser than you can say 3D. If they don't, I won't. I spent countless hours as a child playing his in G-d Mode and love it.

3. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    also the previous 2D episodes would be nice (who remembers them?)

4. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Boss Man
    Mid Michigan
    I purchased it last night and haven't put it down.

Doom will be another good one!

5. idespair

idespair Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    In the notes that accompany the source code, he points out that leaving weapon switching out was deliberate as people rarely changed weapons anyway. Wolf 3D only has pistol/machinegun/chaingun which are the same weapon with progressively faster firing. It defaults to knife if you run out of ammo.

6. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    So what's the relationship between John Carmack and id Software? What's keeping someone from tweaking the open source code a bit and selling an app similar to this? If they don't want people doing that, why release the source code in the first place? Who gets the proceeds, JC or id?

7. BOWB4ZOD

BOWB4ZOD Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Director, Producer, Editor
    Ontario, Canada
    this looks awesome.

8. It's GPL'ed. Nothing is stopping anyone from making Wolf-likes -- in fact, Id encourages it and suggests advertising that it is a Wolf-like in your app description so everyone benefits (though that's not strictly necessary.)

(You'd have to do your own levels, textures, sounds, etc. of course.)

9. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    hmm good point.

10. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Deb..why wouldn't you want a challenge babe? C'mon live a little! The easiest difficulty is "don't hurt me mommy" and IS VERY EASY sweetie :)

11. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I hate getting shot, though. It is NOT FUN :p

12. bakuretsu

bakuretsu New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    So I'm just curious GatorDeb, and forgive my ignorance in matters of faith as I am a spiritual but secular man... It seems that you are someone who takes the word of the Lord seriously, as you have avoided using His name in vain by cleverly replacing the "o" with a hyphen.

I am curious, though, if you are a devout and spiritual person who believes that Jesus Christ has given His life to save us from sin, why you are interested in PLAYING AS GOD IN A GAME WHERE YOU MURDER GERMAN NAZIS AND DOGS.

13. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    G-d Mode was the name given to it. It just means invincibility/no health lost. It has nothing to do with transforming your protagonist into a deity :p

And I don't believe in Jesus.

14. bakuretsu

bakuretsu New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Well at least you've left one of the letters out of the name of your deity so that their omniscient consciousness is completely unaware of your mention of them. Somehow I doubt that a single letter is of any consequence to a supreme, omnipresent, omnipotent being.

Isn't your all-knowing being totally aware of your intentions whether you type an "o" or not? And if they are not aware of your consciousness and instead rely upon reading iPhone arcade forums on the Internet to judge the sinful behavior of their subordinates, what sort of a crappy god are they?

15. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    As interesting as this may be, let's stay on the subject of Wolf3D, save this chatter for the lounge section.

16. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

take your religion elsewhere, be it in the lounge or what not but don't clutter up this thread anymore with your crap.

17. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    jchampl, there is no need to be so aggressive, your a senior member, don't be immature.

BTW I absolutely love this game. Although I am having a hard time setting up the tilt controls.

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

As little sense as this whole "g-d" censoring makes to me, if you want to discuss the finer points of how religion comes in to play when murdering dogs and Nazis with chain guns... Post in the Lounge, I guess.

19. To put it in terms with a little less GTFO attitude (ahem), an iPhone gaming forum where some users would gladly punch a deity in the jubblies for a promo code may not be the best place to discuss theism.

Just sayin'...

20. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    #180 Freeway82, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    Sorry if i may add a few words to your post mate. You just mentioned that he is a senior member and should behave better but i'm sorry to tell you that the so-called senior members on these forums are the most aggressive and self- righteous people i have encountered on any forums. They degrade others and only take words from each other that is why most new members tend to ignore them. The truth is that many of them are actually forum-dwellers who lurk around touch arcade forums which explain how they got their senior member status while ignoring the fact that they were once junior members.
    What i'm trying to say is, don't expect more from them because they can't.

Sorry to derail the thread.