Universal Wolfenstein 3D Classic Platinum (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jchampl, Mar 25, 2009.

1. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    What the ? 10+ years ago...you should have some respect IMO. If it weren't for ID, were would the FPS and action games be where they are today? We have the creator himself talking about Wolfenstein and ID's best work and it's just as relevant today! At least ID HAVE these classic games that gamers still talk about and get to play now on this new idevice!

2. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Yes, the game was forbidden in 1994 because of the Nazi symbols. Actually it's therefore pretty unknown in Germany (you are not even allowed to mention the name of the game in German publications!) and the nostalgia for German players should be very restricted.

Besides the Nazi symbols it's a FPS with blood and therefore 18+ in Germany. It's not allowed in Germany to sell 18+ games via download. So you will NEVER see Doom, Quake oder Duke Nukem 3D in the German iTunes store. Of course unless they make special German versions with green blood and aliens instead of human beings.

3. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    wow, germany is strict. I don't think I'd last long there without my COD:p

just curious, do they allow Halo over there? halo has blue blood...:D

4. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    The problematic games are all FPS ones. For now most of these are 18+. But as you might have heard there was recently a terrible killing spree at a German school and politicians blame this on FPS games (in German media known as "killer games"). So there is currently a huge discussion going on in Germany to ban all "killer games".

Wolfenstein 3D is a different case because it is banned for the Nazi symbols. Even Pac-Man would be banned in Germany if there would be a swastika in it.

5. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
  6. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    What supremely irritates me is that in each and every one of these cases, at least one of the parents was a gun-nut and trained the sprog in use of the firearms as well as provided easy access.
    Because whatever the politicos would like to claim, anybody who ever shot a weapon knows that the skills required are quite different from the mouse/gamepad-fu an avid gamer would have.

7. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    omg.
    i'm a small kid one more time :D

8. Freegoo

Freegoo Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Agreed. The genre didn't even exist prior to Wolfenstein, Id software invented it and look at it now. And unlike many companies they embraced their users and allowed for custom modifactions that were unheard of for the time. And just to top it all off, they release the source code to their works. Had Carmack walked off with his bundles of money after all that success nobody would have blamed him, but he continued on and even pushed the genre forward at times.

And everything after Quake wasn't "shit". Quake 2 was pretty good, and caused John Romero to start over on Daikatana and threw that whole project into turmoil. Quake Arena was very good, and I also enjoyed Doom 3. I've pretty much quit playing FPS, so can't comment much on the latter games. I was under the impression that Quake 4 and Enemy Territory were developed by someone else though?

9. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I don't see how people could be displeased with Doom III :( That game was awesome for me and I'm looking very forward to the next iteration of it after Rage comes out :D

That said I might actually get this thing downloaded off the Edge network :eek: dang wireless is down but 10mb is going slowly but smoothly. What's 5 bucks for a piece of gold ;)

10. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    so is this game any good? The graphics look kinda bad.

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Read -> Comprehend -> Post

12. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    yea i know................

I'll wait for Termantor Salvation.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Probably a much better course of action than reading the thread.

14. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Guten Morgen
    I am glad to see that it wasn't all just a dream. I really do have Wolfenstein 3D on my iPhone. :)

15. Gamingfun

Mar 23, 2009
    Ah good times :)

Well sure the graphics are what they were from back in the day but is that such a bad thing in the end? You have 4 types of control style one that has your forward/back and turn left/right on one side and shoot on the other, or you have one side that has forward/back and strafe while the other side has the turn left/right with the shoot button on top. Plus two other options that switch places of the turning and shooting locations.

The game moves at a smooth rate and I see it even allows motion for turning. You don't have to worry about up and down as your always pointing at the same level if you didn't know already.

Was a well made game so many years ago and still is even with a new device to run it.

16. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

My Twitter feed has exploded overnight with people talking about how fun Wolfenstein is for the iPhone. I must say, I'm pretty surprised. I haven't picked it up yet, but I was really expecting the game to not have much appeal for anyone other than nostalgic gamers.

Either way, it won't quench my nostalgia unless it can run at 320x240 limited to about 6 fps. ;)

17. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    @Gamingfun
    The game translated better than I had expected, indeed. I am getting used to control scheme #1 with tilt to strafe at 10%. My only real concern is that there is no way to switch guns. It would also be nice if the border of the virtual D-pad was a little more forgiving: I often come to a dead stop because I slide my finger too far one way or another.

18. Gamingfun

Mar 23, 2009
    #138 Gamingfun, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    lol yeah if only :) well that's cool many people other than nostalgic gamers are enjoying the game!

edit: starjimstar yeah I'm going with option 2 for I like the movement on the right side for some reason. I haven't gotten to the dead zone yet but I suppose I'd just need to give it time lol. Good point on switching guns! Didn't get another gun yet to notice that mis-step

19. Dude, what did you run it on, a 386SX/16? :D

20. Crimsonpaw

Crimsonpaw Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Looks good, but I've already got my $5+ games picked out and the one I'll add to the list is Doom when it comes (unless I see a video and it makes me want :)).

Good to see that Carmack has officially thrown something on the iPhone though.