Universal Wolfenstein 3D Classic Platinum (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jchampl, Mar 25, 2009.

1. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #541 thewiirocks, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Never saw that issue myself. It was probably caused by the save-file issue. I haven't done a complete analysis of the issue, but I suspect it was reading in too many bytes from the save file, scribbling all over everything.

Specifically, a byte of data was saved for each level. Adding Spear of Destiny effectively doubled that amount of data. Since they do a simple read into the array, all the file offsets were thrown off when the data was read back in. Guess which levels got the garbage data? ;)
    ________
    Starcraft 2 replay

2. Th3R3n3gad3

Th3R3n3gad3 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Anyone notice that wolfenstein 3d is gone?

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    That's exactly what happened with Doom Classic and Rage HD before they returned with widescreen and iOS 7 updates. Fingers crossed for widescreen on this :D

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It's back! iOS 8 and widescreen support. YAYYYY! :):):)

5. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Oh wow! MFI support?

I actually never played it on PC, my first wolf3D experience was on... wait for it... Atari Jaguar!!

6. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Sadly, no controller support :(

I also played the crap out of Wolfenstein on my Jaguar, and Doom! Despite it tanking I loved that system :)

7. BuckeyeAvenger

BuckeyeAvenger New Member

Jan 17, 2016
    How to use IPad controls? No instructions

Hello. I just downloaded this game for my iPad. I loved playing this on a PC. Now that I have it on my IPad, I am unable to play it due to a complete lack of understanding of how to use the controls in the game. Their appear to be zero instructions of any kind. For example, how do you move, shoot, look for stuff behind walls, etc? Can anyone please help? I really want to play, but I am just floundering with no instructions. New to iPad games. Thank you.

8. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    haha, you really must be new! :)

if you go into the settings menu you'll see options for different control schemes but basically you control movement by sliding your finger around th eleft bottom corner of the screan and shoot by tapping yr finger on the right side somewhere...there should be icons on the screen for the buttons iirc...

9. jabz

jabz Member

Dec 19, 2011
    So considering this is in danger of being culled due to not being updated to 64bit like Doom.
    Is there a possibility of building the game for 64bit via the source code and signing the cert if you are a dev?
    I don't know why many people aren't up in arms about it, this and Doom are the best iOS ports.