Universal Wolfenstein 3D Classic Platinum (by id Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jchampl, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

No one cares, the membership levels are completely insignificant and are tied solely to post count. You can become a "senior" member in two days of posting "omg lol" in the Pocket God threads. Unfortunately, this thread is about Wolfenstein 3D for the iPhone, not religion, membership levels, or anything that doesn't in some way pertain to the game.

So it would be great if we could go back to discussing the game. [​IMG]

2. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    It's neat that you can select new game and just pick which stage and what level you want to do :cool:

3. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

yup you can pick all but the secret levels, you must find them in the game before you can select them

4. jchampl

tilt to move seems to be the way to go.

fyi since i started the thread, i didn't want it getting closed and sidetracked like the numerous off topic and heated pocket god threads. my level has nothing to do with maturity. it only takes 50 posts to get senior level, this is very attainable for anyone. the fact of the matter is i hate useless ramblings. i understand your point and i will try to take it to heart but i tend to dislike people that come to a game thread to debate, spread rumors, or show people wacking off, so usually it comes out strongly.

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Wow...lotta pages.

Anyway...does this version have the exclusive weapons that were in the Atari Jaguar version (and, yes, I own a Jaguar and Wolfenstein 3D for it).

The exclusive weapons in that version were a flame thrower and rocket launcher.

6. jchampl

no only the knife, pistol, machine gun, and chain gun

7. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    Not that I know of anyway. I have not picked up these weapons.

Jc, have you?

8. jchampl

nope they are nowhere to be found, i've looked ;)

the chaingun is badass enough :D

9. danc4498

danc4498 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    What I want to know before I buy this is, how good of a game is this? I hear a lot of people who sound like they enjoy it for nostalgic reasons, but does this game really hold up?

10. jchampl

what do you want to hold it up to? halo? call of duty? then you probably won't like. If you want the first good fps on the iphone as simple and old as it may be, then you will like it. there are quite a few people that have posted saying never played the old but I'm liking this, I think this would be a general liking.

11. It's an FPS. The grandaddy of them all. 3 weapons, low-rent textures on the walls, no textures on the ceiling or floor, low-fi sound effects, FM synthesized sound, 2D objects, single-floor levels, orthogonal walls ... it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect given the criteria. It is, in effect, every first-person shooter stripped down to its absolute barest essentials. It's Doom without stairs, angled walls, fancy lighting, etc.

Make of that what you will.

12. jchampl

4 weapons: knife, pistol, machine gun, chain gun ;)

and don't leave out the secret passages :D

13. cass

cass Member

Mar 25, 2009
    console

Just FYI, 4-finger touch toggles the console. You can type "god" (and <return>) for god mode.

14. Forgot about the knife. :) And yes, secret passages -- but that goes without saying...

Nifty. I guess it must use the Quake II codes then?

15. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Oh sweet and I can confirm this :D

16. jchampl

good work cass, I knew I should have gone back and looked at the code more. i'm sure a lot of people will be happy.

17. jchampl

i wonder if we have clipping now. haha ;)

18. Alan150

Alan150 Active Member

Feb 28, 2009
    England
    Nifty. I guess it must use the Quake II codes then?[/QUOTE]

Yeah it does use the quake II codes.

19. jchampl

Deb, you can buy this now ;)

20. inferi22

inferi22 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I like original quake doom and quake live but never really played this one when it came out so no nostalgia factor I also like doom but I really don't like the gray ceiling but controls look pretty good