Wolf Classic / Doom Classic controls (Poll)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Keep "Tilt-to-turn" Controls in Doom Classic?

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. UTWarden

UTWarden Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Voted no. I've seen issues with the tilt issues if your at certian angles. I have the same issue with a said controller so usually 6-axis is turned OFF. this is a game I have been on the lookout for, and nide to see that it hasn't been forgotten or swept under the rug.

2. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I'll add my "wow, it's John Carmack!" to the list. :) It's an honor seeing someone with your reputation on these forums.

I definitely use the tilt-to-turn control scheme in Wolfenstein because it allows you to strafe and fire at the same time. If you're having to move forward/back and left/right at the same time with your thumbs, then you need to take one thumb off to fire, and I don't like having to sacrifice one control for another while playing.

Frankly I don't think there's a perfect control scheme for FPSs on the iPhone, but so far yours in Wolfenstein is one of the best I've seen. I especially like the fact that you can move any of the buttons around anywhere on the screen! I haven't seen that feature in ANY other game so far.

3. NakedFaerie

NakedFaerie New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    JC, the legend himself.

Why dont you add both and let the player decide?

I prefer to use buttons but you cant see whats happening as your fingers are on the screen so a tilt is better to see more.

It all comes down to how its designed. I've seen games that are crap at tilt but I've seen other games that are good at tilt.

If everything is coming at you from straight on then I'd say use buttons, but if its coming from the side then its the tilt.

The iPhone either needs a proper controller or video out. Till then there will always be these control problems.

I did read something about the ibone? a bone shaped controller for the iphone. Should look into that. Might be the answer your looking for.
    Ship a free download voucher of the game with that controller sounds like a good idea.
    But will Apple like it? Probably not. F them, they dont like anything anyone suggests. They just like to steal ideas from other smaller homebrew devs.

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Nearly 40% of voters want both so I think it is likely we will get both.

5. carrom

carrom New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    One very last thing :D : take into consideration not to remove USE button because in DOOM it's too important to have it.

With an approach like that in Wolf 3D Classic it would be way too easy to spot secret areas! :p

Thank you!

6. Ryan4454

Ryan4454 Active Member

May 22, 2009
    John coud you please hurry and submit Doom to the app store with any controls (idk i just wanna play doom :p) as now that resident evil 4 is out im temped to spend my $12 iv been saving for 2 months...

Im sure you will be very sad if you miss out on my money

7. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    yea please dont remove. I dont feel its overkill to give the players customization. and by giving us an OPTION to use tilt to turn it in no way affects players who dont want to use it. Tilt to turn frees up a lot screen space,

and btw guys, I also HATE accelerometer based controls in games. But after a couple days of playing this way you get REALLLLLLY fast with it. Wolf3d is almost too easy right now.

8. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    I use tilt to turn but...

I do use the tilt to turn so I can both move/strafe as well as turn while still being able to fire. Truth is, I chose this option as a 'good enough' as I would have preferred being able to use four way tilting to strafe and move and a touch area for turning.
    I was surprised this option wasn't afforded given the wealth of other configuration options.

9. Kyoshin

Kyoshin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    I hope they don't think they made THE controls for the iPhone, it is FAR from perfect.

10. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    WHEN is doom classic coming to the app store!?/????!!!!!!

11. pierrick

pierrick New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I find tilt-to-turn great.

12. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    is this really the holdup? seriously?

13. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Wolf3D controls and the ability to edit where the buttons are were perfect. I liked the left Virtual Stick straffing/moving side to side and the Virtual Stick on the right to control looking left and right with the Fire button right above the right Virtual Stick. That control works absolutely perfect for me. I would love to see the same controls implemented in DOOM Classic. Tilt controls may be a bit iffy, but if you want to implement them, go for it. I wouldn't mind trying it at least, as they may be better or worse than the original controls. At least just give us the option between the 2 is all...

14. CyberData4

CyberData4 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    More control options is never a bad thing unless it confuses the user resulting in poor user experience. That being said, nothing about Wolf3D's control options confused me in the slightest.

Personally, I hate hate hate motion controls. I typically play on a train and just don't have room or the energy before or after work to go flailing about.

Touch pad, ftw!

Can't wait for Doom Classic. I check for it nearly every day, LMAO.

15. digisax

digisax New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Doom Classic

I really like the controls in Wolf Classic and i don't think tilt to turn would be a good option.

16. drgroove101

drgroove101 New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Nah to tilt

Mr Carmack,

I don't use the tilt to turn or the tilt to strafe controls. I tried both out and found them to be a bit clumbsy.

In my opinion the best control scheme my friends and I use are the move forward-backward strafe left-right control on the left side of screen, the the turn left and right control on the right side of screen. This allows for easy and accurate circle strafing, which is definitly a nessecity on the higher difficulty levels. This control combined with your perfect tilt to aim control would be perfect for a 3d fps.

I'm happy to hear that this project is not canned, i was very worried that it was put on long term heitas to not conflict witht he sales of doom resurection. I hope you release doom classic soon as I am dying to play it! I would gladly shell out $9.99 for it.

Congratulations to you and your team on the release of doom resurection, it is the coolest game on the app store by far! I look forward to a new iPhone exclusive FPS off rails with your innovative control schemes

Thank you for your hard work, and godspeed releasing doom classic!

David Synnott
    Fan and loyal customer

17. joshpjones99

joshpjones99 New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Controls

I didn't like the tilt setup. And found that your ability to modify the entire HUD was the greatest feature and one that i which all the other iPhone apps would use.

18. Lost Cipher

Lost Cipher Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Personally I vote to keep the controls like they were in Wolfenstein Classic.

19. Yoshi 1080

Yoshi 1080 New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I sometimes use Tilt-To-Turn to get a feeling like in Doom Resurrection. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel the same and only slows me down, so I don't really need it. I usually have the normal controls on the left and strafe on the right, with fire above it.

What I would really do like, however, are longer forward/back buttons. The virtual d-pad works great when I am running. But when I don't move and I just want to go forward or backward, I often accidentally turn or strafe as well. So it would be great if I could tap above or below the d-pad and then go only in that particular direction.

20. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    John how about a sale on Doom Resurrection?