Wolf Classic / Doom Classic controls (Poll)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Keep "Tilt-to-turn" Controls in Doom Classic?

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. sesquipedal

sesquipedal New Member

Jul 25, 2009
    #81 sesquipedal, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    Strafe

I find that strafing can be made much easier by adding only that to the tilt.

Since you are going to take away the option anyway (as the replies to the forum suggest, and I agree), why not simply add a checkbox that is default unchecked, that allows you to turn on tilt-strafing.

The up and down motions do nothing (so that it doesn't get in the way), but this way you can circle-strafe with ease.

The one thing that bothered me with origional Doom, was that I had to edit it to add strafing in a proper manner.

It was much more difficult to be good at multiplayer without it, I thought. I am 100% sure that there were many people who didn't do that, and can play this game amazingly well, but I was not one of them.

2. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    And, John Carmack, no need to delay the release. We promise we will not confuse Wolf RPG with Wolf Classic* ! :)

*which I used to call "Wolf 3D", but now that I see John Carmack is calling it "Wolf Classic" I'm changing my ways!

3. personally, you can either keep the controls or not, but I just kinda figured the app would've at least been submitted already. Hurry John!!!

4. Ventura

Ventura Well-Known Member

While I think it's fair to say the majority don't use tilt-to-turn, you know you're going to annoy a few if you remove it.

The ball's in your court then, but personally, I wouldn't miss it atall.

5. AaronEl

AaronEl New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    John, I know this thread isn't the place to post this, but after a quick google search I couldn't find any contact info for you or this project, so I just registered to say:

Please consider allowing users to import custom .wads for Doom and Doom 2! I don't know how I will survive without being able to play faux Half-Life in Doom 2 on my iPhone! I've been waiting for this moment since I first converted from my Doom 2-running hacked iPod to the iPhone!

6. wildcardd

wildcardd Member

Apr 16, 2009
    *fixes hair nervously*
    Leave tilt out Mr. Carmack, sir.
    *disappears back into the crowd*

7. Joseph Blazkowicz

Joseph Blazkowicz New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    #87 Joseph Blazkowicz, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    Yes for me

Hi John,
    I think the Tilt-to-turn is very funny and i used it a lot with Wolf 3D classic.
    So, if possible, keep it in (the best way to play it's the classic control, for sure, but t-t-t it's a must for a device like the iPhone).
    Thanks for asking. :)
    P.s. A pray, submit DooM Classic as fast as you can! :D

8. powersurge

powersurge Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    I'm not a big fan of the tilt controls myself. I prefer to use the directional pad on the left (up/down and strafing) and turning left/right on the right side (with the shoot button above it).

I think it could use some minor tweaks though. Make the controls a bit larger and either more transparent or a transparency slider bar in the options.

9. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    #89 Somerandomdude, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    As much as I don't use the tilt controls, they are a pretty useful option sometimes and they remove the clutter on the screen. I'm sure Doom is going to have more buttons on screen as there's alot more going on in that game compared to Wolf3d. So I say keep the tilt controls, but make the on screen buttons the primary control option.

And while I'm here I'd just like to say that if you added a few things to the game like new weapons or enemies, many people would have more incentive to buy this game. As of lately I've been playing Doom and it's many mods like crazy, and I think this would definetly be a must-have if it has some added features, especially a deathmatch mode offline and online.

EDIT: One additional feature that might give me more reason to buy this would be the ability to play custom WAD's. As AaronEl said, it's a must have for people who have gotten into this. I have a ton of weapon mods and would love to be able to easily run one of them, along with the ability to be able to play Doom 1 or 2. This only thing is I'm not sure how this would work without using the in-app purchase thing of OS 3.0, and how would it be able to cover all of the great custom WADs out there. I'm sure with what you've done with gaming over the years this wouldn't be too big of a problem to work around. Maybe a way to sync WADs through iTunes? Either way this would be a huge deciding factor and would make it to instant purchase to have an atually playable version of Doom on my iPod (the jailbreak one is just too hard to use and change WADs).

10. Gizmoe

Gizmoe Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Student
    Texas...(not really)
    u dont look up and down in doom... :)

11. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Do any type of controls, but don't make them exactly ike Wolf. 3D or Doom R., otherwise it'd be toooo similar. Make it unique, and think outside of the box. I know you can do it John! You are talented. :D

12. qdave

qdave New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I am not a big fan of tilt-controls so it think leaving them would be ok :)

13. ObsidianKt

ObsidianKt Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I say KEEP tilt and here's why:

From my personal experience playing Wolf 3d Classic on the iPhone, the most effective control set up is 3rd option in from the control menu, with "50% tilt to turn" and "30% sensitivity" I highly recommend it to everyone and here's why:

1. Control set up lets you maximize your strafing and turing options (something that all great players will tell you is a must)
    2. Activating the "Tilt to Turn" in this format allows you to fine-tune your aiming when you pull your finger off the turn controls to fire the gun.

Awesome set-up that works wonderfully; plays almost as good, if not just as good than on the computer.

All in all, I say leave them in. The options aren't really that cluttered or complicated, and it sounds like enough people want to keep them.

14. sjoekie

sjoekie New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Seems I fight a losing battle but...

Keep the tilt controls!
    Combining the tilt-to-turn with onscreen strafe buttons is just the perfect way (for me) to play a FPS. It only costs one thumb so you have one left to shoot.

I don't know of any other way to achieve the same kind of control with the same ease.

15. carrom

carrom New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I voted for YES but i never used it in Wolf 3D Classic, tilt controls are not comfortable for me but I think that it is always better to have more choices in customizing commands.

I played the whole Wolf 3D Classic with the classic 'forward\backward\turn left\turn right' scheme on the bottom left of the screen and the strafe on the bottom right just upon the fire button and I found it a lot easier to master. :)

Oh, and don't forget about the possibility to use also a bluetooth periferial in the near future. :D

16. carrom

carrom New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    One last thing: I need DOOM Classic asap, hurry! :p

(you promised it for june...)

17. degroot2940

degroot2940 New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks for letting us feedback

'Love the ports to the iPhone!.
    I personally do not use the tilt controls when playing WOLF, finding that the on screen 4-way pad works much smoother and better.

It would be wonderful though if there were some way to use the old cheat codes for WOLF and for the upcoming port of DOOM classic.

Thanks for your consideration!

18. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Actually, I have one more question. How would we go about using cheats? It's not like we can just hit idkfa on the keyboard to get all weapons, which I use alot just to play around with the weapons, which are half the fun for me in Doom.

And is there any way to cheat in Wolf3d? It's just fun running aound killing nazis with the chaingun.

19. Why fix what ain't broke? Wolf's controls are perfect. No need to try and reinvent the wheel when you've got a vehicle that runs like a dream..

20. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    whoops. take back my "yes" vote. I actually use tilt to strafe