Wolf Classic / Doom Classic controls (Poll)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by John Carmack, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Keep "Tilt-to-turn" Controls in Doom Classic?

1. Yes

79 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    62.9%
  1. Marconelly

Marconelly Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Tilt to aim worked perfectly in Doom Resurrection. I don't know how well it would work in a 3D game where you have to control movement though.

2. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Wow...he walks among us earthlings!
    To answer the question: I don't like to tilt! :(

3. Danzach

Danzach Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    please give the option of tilt

I play the itouch becuase I can use the tilt and the touch, that is why I love it so much. I have been gaming my whole life, and really found a love in the itouch. Please dont leave out tilt.

4. anthonybsd

anthonybsd Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I didn't use tilt-anything controls in Wolfenstein classic. Tried to make it work, tried tweaking sensitivity, never really felt satisfying. My favorite control scheme was two joystick-y one - one for moving, one for turning and a separate shot button above the turning joystick.

On a separate note: I love Wolfenstein. I think I've completed Wolfenstein(on PC and IPhone) from the beginning to the end in excess of 10 times now, not counting the shareware version. This is one of my favorite games of all times. BUT WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK of Commander Keen for the IPhone? Please Mr. Carmack, & ID, include it in your .plan or something. Make it cost $100, I will still buy it.

5. QQQ

QQQ Member

Jul 26, 2008
    #25 QQQ, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    Hi,
    i find the tilt usable but in my opinion you should add 2 things to them:

- an "reverse" option (when you tilt to right the player straff/turn to left)
    - tilt to shoot (experimental, its just an idea):
    imagine using your index finger to tap the iphone, i mean taping it the way that the accelerometer "sense" it as an input. This idea is free of charge.

I think more options the game have better it is. The "advanced" tab is here to not confuse the casual or newer player.

6. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Is this the real John Carmack?! I aspire to be as great as you. Only reason I work hard in physics and ICT...

It's great game. I play everyday even for maybe 10secs. I do not use the tilt as I prefer all touch.

Welcome :)

7. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #27 ImNoSuperMan, Jul 25, 2009
    *Faints*
    (Thats twice in one day. cant be good :eek:)

On topic. I hate onscreen controls. RE was way too bad. Loved the tilt control in Doom resurrection. Yes that was a simple on the rails shooter but still. Please keep them as an option atleast.. Pretty Please.

And just in case it was a prank and he`s not JC:mad::mad::mad:

8. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

I'll stick my neck out and say that this does not read like the first post of a renowned game developer. Weird that anyone would do this as a hoax, but stranger things have happened.

9. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    It's real. The account is legit.

arn

10. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    #30 ImNoSuperMan, Jul 25, 2009
    *Faints again* looses count :eek:

I`d like to reemphasize that touch only controls will not be the best option. They hide up too much of screen making it hard to see around things. But I have faith in you. And will accept whatever you come up with as long as its playable. Gonna buy the game on day one only if for nothing then the cool move you made by posting on TA only. :eek: :)

EDIT: Thread moved??? JC posted in the wrong forums with his first thread.OOps :eek:

11. Pain

Pain Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Really?!

Wow, Anyways Yeah The Basic Controls From Wolf 3D Were Perfect, I Never Bothered With The Tilt To Move Ones

Also, When Is Doom Classic Gonna Finally Hit The App Store, I've Been Waiting FOREVER For This One Game. When This Comes Out It's An Instant Buy For Me Already.

12. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Honestly I hate accelerometer control, If there's an alternative I'll almost always use that.

13. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Well first off I'd just like to say it's your fault I'm addicted to
    games :)

I did use the tilt controls for straffing.
    They do take some getting used to tho.

For me wolf classic on iPhone was the first time fps controls
    worked. I'm sure though that newcommers
    would prefer a non tilt option.

Does this mean doom classic is still quite far away from release?

14. Hudson RL

Hudson RL Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    England
    i never used that option, but i like how i have the choice to choose it though, and with doom classic's multiplayer option the tilt to turn option could be a better choice if it allows you more room too see on the screen

15. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    It's him?! No way! I just want to say everything you touch is gold! Thanks for making the shooter genre popular! I'm only 16 like but still I respect you :)

16. MrPeanut

MrPeanut Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Who's John Carmack?

17. Pain

Pain Member

Jul 15, 2009
    GASP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Carmack

He's A God!

18. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
  19. pixelman

pixelman Member

May 17, 2009
    tilt to turn could have possibilities

I actually haven't tried tilt to turn because I automatically assume that by tilting the iPod I lose some control and visibility. Now I've got to try it.

If by holding the iPod Touch or iPhone in front of you and turning your body in one direction or another and having the screen turn or rotate in relation to your body, that would be cool (hard to describe - not sure what that would be called).

20. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Looks like you've got some fans :D

To answer your question, I hate tilt-to-turn.