Universal Wizard Quest (By Mana Giant)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mana Giant, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    #81 Card, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    My character made it up to Level 4 playing offline. (~8 locations in)

There's definitely alot going on with the 3 currencies. Like Minigore there's 3 quests to finish, but my first one will always be "Sign into Facebook." It would be great if we could say No to that one to open up all 3 options.

I was excited once I unlocked Weapons and Spells but it costs mana to conjure them. And I take it you lose that mana spent if you die? If you don't use a weapon/spell does it carry to the next level or do you have to pay again?

I'll have to test that out.

I've found myself not conjuring anything because of the mana cost, since you need the mana to transform into the other currencies to progress your character. At least I think that's how it works.

2. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Same level here and it seems i lack skills. I keep dying as things get hectic and some frustration came over me. I was playing on my iphone (cos it's always on me) but the screen is way to small. Though it's intentional of the Devs, it feels like playing on an iphone 4. I will give it another go as soon as i have my ipad mini back. So far, my hopes were set too high, my mistake.

Concerning the prices...i predict the same - soon f2p

3. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #83 ScotDamn, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Yeah, definitely structured F2P.

_____

These $.99 games with extensive IAP are unfortunate. In some cases, you get a lot of game for $.99 and optional IAP. In other cases it's designed and embedded within the game play like this one.

I'm not against IAP. I'm against IAP ruining game play. I feel Mage Quest is one such case. It has potential, but I don't think it will ever see it's game play potential, instead staying optimized for IAP potential.

The way F2P profits is by having a ton of downloads by being free, with a fraction actually spending on IAP. So it's confusing to see games like this go for $.99 with IAP embedded within its design. To me this method removes a ton of potential customers that would have otherwise downloaded the game if it were free and possibly spending on IAP.

4. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yep, same here. Things get a bit hectic and I die. :D

Unfortunately I don't have an iPad, but definitely let us know if it helps.

5. Mana Giant

Mana Giant Active Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Oulu, Finland
    Wizard Quest Economy and Gameplay

Just wanted to post some information for folks about the game, and to answer some of the questions people have been posting. We appreciate all the feedback we are getting from you, we hear you and are making changes to make Wizard Quest a better product.

Crystals can be earned a variety of ways:
    -Completing a quest with enough mana for a crystal key
    -completing goals from Quest Journal
    -cracking special crystal chests in quests
    -and from leveling your character.
    We are currently working on an immediate update and we will be tuning the 'crystal drop' rates and more of the economy in the game.(We will be offering the character enhancement items using crystal spending which can be entirely earned in game) We'll be adding more ways to earn crystals in the future, including more levels.

Skill Points are earned by leveling your character normally like in most RPGs. We offer transmuting for -extra- skill points beyond what the normal game offers. There is no lack of skill points, only more available to users that want to 'buff' their character in ways they choose.

Mana is indeed earned in the game through performance. So if you are low on Mana, go back to an old level and revisit it. Early levels that score 150-200 Mana, can be scored far higher as you become skilled at the game (in the thousands for each level return). You can then use that mana to conjure the weapons and items. Again we'll be tuning the mana rates and bonuses for level completion so there is an ample of amount of mana being returned for good spell casting.

The game does indeed get harder as more mechanics are introduced. However no main line progression levels are walled or blocked on purpose to be more difficult than necessary. Some side path levels are quite challenging, and that is on purpose for the more experienced players who want the bonuses hidden in those levels. Some enemies mirror your attacks, have strengths that cause them to heal, and some levels have "fizzlers" that cause spells to dissolve during combat. However, we will be looking at player progression and if there are particularly hard levels that we didn't anticipate being as hard as they are, we will adjust them to be easier.

Please keep the feedback coming and we will continue to improve Wizard Quest. We have some great features and content planned for the future and we want to make improvements to the game along the way.

-Magus of Metal

6. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    #86 bobish, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    After reading 148apps review and reading other comments in this forum, I'm glad I held off on this. Seems like the Devs are having an identity crisis on if they wanted to have a FTP or a purchase game. I don't like seeing this trend of .99 or 1.99 games that end up having IAP. Go one way or the other.

I like the comment earlier about how having a price on an IAP game could be turning away a money source for the Dev anyway.

7. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I am also sitting on the fence on this one.

I am intrigued by the pre-release demo and trailer. Likewise, I am impressed that the developer is attempting in earnest to engage with this community and to address the shortcomings in this game.

Nonetheless, it is very hard to ignore the very negative impression by 148apps and other users about the IAP.

I wholly encourage the developer to continue to update us about the game's rebalancing. There is no need to repeat the troubles experienced by the developer of KR2 when that game was launched, regardless how good intention the developer was originally about the IAP.

8. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I appreciate addressing this thread and the concerns that have been brought up. That's pretty respectful.

I also respect your willingness to change the balance of the game, but I can't help but feel you'd be better off just dropping it to free since it's current state matches that model near perfectly. I spent $.99 on the game, but the framework screams F2P. And F2P isn't necessarily a bad thing for most people out there, it just isn't for me.

In my mind, for it to feel like a "premium" game a lot of reworking would need to be done.

Maybe you could have a few difficulty modes where Hard would reward you more and have a faster pace and Easy would reward you less but have an easier, slower pace.

I like the art style. I think the story is interesting and makes me want to know what happens. But the game needs some changes for me to continue playing it.

I'll definitely keep my eye out for any updates.

9. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm really interested in this game it sounds pretty good and I like the dev being active but after just reading all pages it does sound like a f2p game with a price tag which is off putting to nearly everyone I'd imagine.

I'll watch the game and see what happens.

10. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Well, I decided to go ahead and get the game. Probably put about 2 hours into it so far.. The thing is, I'm still not sure what I really think about it. There is a certain "charm" to the game, and I'm really liking the visuals, however it's very clear that this was intended to be a F2P game.
    It follows the same F2P structure that we've all become accustomed to.. multiple in game currencies, Facebook integration etc.

It really feels like this game is having an identity crisis. It doesn't know if it wants to be a F2P game or a premium one. It's kinda sad because underneath all the F2P crap, there does actually seem to be something enjoyable there.

In my opinion the devs need to make up their minds about what direction they want to take the game. I'd say drop the app to FREE as it's already structured to be that. At least then people will go into it knowing to expect the typical F2P stuff, and then they'll probably be pleasantly surprised to find that there's actually an enjoyable game amongst it all.

11. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    The highlighted statement nails it. Definitely an identity crisis going on here. I agree there is some potential underneath it all.

But I can't recommend the game to anyone in its current state. Especially when prices drop on the reg in the App Store. Only time has the answer.

12. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I decided to pick this up and will put some time into it while using the treadmill tonight. I like the palette/art style and I'm happy to see there appears to be an attempt at a slightly off-kilter story.

13. WizardsTMC

WizardsTMC Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Creative Director,A man with many hats. Game Desig
    China
    Game looks awesome !
    Good idea..love it ! Very old style..reminds me of Elemental Master somehow !
    Thats a good thing !

14. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I played for quite some time until the levels just got too hard to complete unless
    you used a blue crystal to continue.

Of course, I ran out of the few crystals I had. The game is fun but ,not that fun to grind and grind
    to finish a level. This game looks nice but just was not as enjoyable as it should have been.

In the end, I decided that I had other games that were more fun to play....so this one went
    into the "D" bin .

This game had great potential but, for me , it fell short of the mark.

15. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    I had much the same experience. The controls are a little finicky too I found. I would click on a tile only to not have it selected. As the pace gets quicker it gets easy to make mistakes. I had only earned 9 crystals by the time I reached the point and would need 1 or 2 to finish the level. I will take a look at the game again when they make their balance patch.

16. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Controls much easier on ipad mini but still, i'm stuck at the exact same level again.
    Back on hold until a helpful update comes out.

17. Mana Giant

Mana Giant Active Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Oulu, Finland
    The update is just behind the corner, we’ll keep you posted once it goes live!

In the meanwhile, If you’re struggling with the Crystal Tower and wondering how to kill that son-of-a-monster at the very end, you might find this gameplay video very useful.

If, for some reason, you do not possess Wizard Quest just yet - here, have a promo code! :)

WNP6X7L7PFFR
    WMA7JRXRY7E3
    RA7HNWFNAFXH
    Y37KW7MK4HJ4
    KH4RWNAM3LL7
    K64FHPE4MPWP
    373T6LPEFF9L
    AHKPRM3JTMMJ

Hanna / Mana Giant

18. bobish

bobish Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Took 373T6LPEFF9L. Thanks. Will give you some feedback as soon as I can.

19. Artvarg

Artvarg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    WMA7JRXRY7E3 Taken. Thanks.

20. jaaaws

jaaaws Active Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Took KH4RWNAM3LL7. Thank you, looking forward to play this game.