Universal Wizard Quest (By Mana Giant)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mana Giant, Nov 13, 2013.

1. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Lurker is a kind word. I had something else in mind.

2. vahramas

vahramas Active Member

Sep 14, 2012
    "Damn, all the promo codes taken! Now I have to shell out 99 cents and can't feed my kids." You guys .....

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Who said that exactly?

4. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    That was transformed from nicodemus82 who said "Damn! All the codes are already taken".

5. bobehm

bobehm Active Member

Dec 6, 2012
    #65 bobehm, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    I'm not too far in to but I'm liking it so far. It is not your typical match 3 game. Most of the time you are moving objects around to clear a path for the ever advancing wizard while trying to maximize the number of matched things. The time element makes it fairly challenging.

Between this and Glyph Quest my need for wierd puzzle games is filled for a little while.

6. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Haha! Well, I wasn't necessarily complaining about having to pay 99c.. Just the fact that I never luck out when it comes to promo codes that are posted here

7. Endscrypt

Endscrypt Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Or you could just sacrifice your next cup coffee, lol

8. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    #68 Neehan, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    Bought this earlier and certainly consider it a dollar well spent. I've played the tutorial and about 5 levels.

The IAPs are for gems which you can also convert to mana and skill points. I haven't purchased any and haven't had any need to. There are no timers that I can see so far.

The mechanics have me hooked. There's quite a bit of story line in text bubbles that crop up, if your into that. The RPG elements are there but I haven't done much with the runes or skills yet.

If your into match 3 RPGs then definitely smash the buy button.

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Ditto!

Personally I am digging this far more than Glyphquest, which I feel would be the two recently released competing games. I know they are in no way the same but they almost feel similar in some respects. I just couldn't get into Glyphquest (probably because that game is slow to open up which was its biggest detriment IMO) whereas I am enjoying this game right out the gate!

10. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay guys after work I'm getting this. I hope it's as good as it seems to be.

Quick question, is the gameplay similar to GlyphQuest (which I like personally) where you swipe matching items you see? I'm not too familiar with the genre. I don't like match threes where you keep rotating items/rows on a board to try and match, I suck at that.

11. RickyBrooke

RickyBrooke Well-Known Member

May 13, 2012
    Really enjoying this game so far it's definitely bringing back memories of Puzzle Quest 2 and the production values are excellent!

4 out of 5

Please support this game with expansion packs & updates! Love this game guys!

12. bobehm

bobehm Active Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Lawliet, no. The gameplay is much different than Glyph Quest.

13. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Convinced me and...bought !

I followed the thread until the soft launch last year and forgot about it after.
    So i'm nicely surprised to spend my second dollar for the last two release weeks.

14. Artvarg

Artvarg Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2013
    I appreciate it when devs take a step back from F2P (same with that zombie game from the Heroe Siege guys). Guess there are two games to pick up after work.

15. Ruzu

Ruzu Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I don't mean to sound rude or be inconsiderate towards the developers, but I've played 2 maps so far and the game fails to deliver on the depth it promises, at least for me. The actual game play feels so simplistic due to the way the game was designed that I'm wondering if I'm even playing a game or just barely interacting with a automatic-driven story.

All I really did was wait for large groups of one element to appear, then use my unlimited amount of moves to group them together and make them disappear. If there are no extra elements, more spawns which voids the point of strategy.

As for monsters, I just hope that I can connect enough damaging elements to kill it before it reaches me.

Do later levels add more content, or is this how the game feels throughout the campaign?

I'm glad that other people find entertainment in this game, but the store description and actual game play are very different from each other.

16. TheCurrentGamer

TheCurrentGamer Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but 2 maps seems a bit hasty.

17. Ruzu

Ruzu Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Usually, 1 or 2 levels in a game can be indicative of the overall game experience. For me, it was severely lacking and did not deliver what the store description claimed it would deliver. In fact, it felt largely different from what was advertised.

18. Mana Giant

Mana Giant Active Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Oulu, Finland
    Hi Ruzu,

Thanks for your feedback. We've put a lot of work into tuning and balancing the learning curve and the pacing of the game. In our game's case, the first levels start a bit softer and show you the core of the game, but there's certainly a real deal of quest features coming soon after; gates, traps, fizzlers, manawells etc. Even to the extent that some fans have found the pace rather steep. The monsters will also get more and more complex as you proceed. Also, there's the usage of weapons and magic items after you unlock the conjuration system.

There's a huge deal of strategic gameplay and depth when you get a bit deeper into the game. And I certainly hope you give it another try and see if our claims hold true after that. :)

Thanks and keep the spells flyin'!

- Magus of Many / Mana Giant

19. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #79 ScotDamn, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Well... I cracked. Who ever said this was as good or better than puzzle quest is either a shill or high on mushrooms. I have a strong liking for PQ so I apologize if I'm coming off with hostility.

I'm writing this because this thread is badly lacking honest and objective views. Not saying people haven't been, but more is needed.

I'm 8 levels in after the tutorial.

It's an interesting concept, but between the extensive existence of IAP, Facebook logos and questionable balance, I'm undecided at best.

I really like the art style of the game which between the genre (match 3) and art is what ultimately made me cave.

One thing that rubs me the wrong way is if you die, you can use premium crystals to continue. Thus far I've died 4 or 5 times so it's hard to tell if it's balance or just me being new and sucking. Also there are a total of 3 currencies. Crystals are the premium which can buy SP (skill points) currency and mana currency. The only way to gain crystals is by purchasing. Actually you can obtain some by completing quest but so far it doesn't seem to be at a reasonable rate.

Game play wise, not as much depth as it should have. Match objects in a row as you walk, clearing a path for your Mage. If you can't find at least 3 elements to match and the path is blocked, you die. It changes up a tad when there's an encounter. That's when the objects have some meaning to them by representing different elements that enemies are either weak or strong against. You can conjure weapons before a mission by spending the mana currency, the result of what weapon you conjure is random and it can only be used once per level.

Personally I'd say pass - if you're curious wait until it's free. With the amount of IAP ranging from $2.99 to $49.99 and the way it's all structured.. no doubt this is a f2p structured game.

I'll play this some more and post an update tomorrow (today?) because it's late here.
    I also hate typing on my phone :p

20. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Well, I was just about to buy this and thought I'd pop back in here to check if there's any more opinions of the game... I must say I'm back to being kinda hesitant on this now.

Sounds like the f2p structure is still intact and that's a big turn off for me.