Universal (WIP) Obsessive Collecting Disorder

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SuperSmithBros, May 6, 2015.

1. SuperSmithBros

SuperSmithBros Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Cornwall, UK
    #1 SuperSmithBros, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    UPDATE 10th JULY 2015:

Hey guys, so I've been working hard on getting Obsessive Collecting Disorder ready for iOS, so far I've redone about 90% of the (non animated) graphics in hi-res so it looks nice and crisp on retina.

Ive also been trying to improve as many effects and animations as possible without changing the core game too much, the stickman will have new skeletal animations which blend together smoothly and there are a variety of new dynamic particle effects.

Heres a sample of the new player death effect, the blood clumps together and drips dynamicly:

[​IMG]

Heres a WIP of the new coin collect effect and dust trails:

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think... id also love to hear whether you would prefer this to be a free title supported by adverts or paid at around $1.99? The final game will have 80+ levels across 8 stages, online leaderboards, achievements and more.

//////////////////////////////////​

ORIGINAL POST:

Hey guys, so I'm currently in the process of porting our platformer 'Obsessive Collecting Disorder' to iOS as a universal app.

Obsessive Collecting Disorder (or OCD for short) is a hardcore punish/rage platformer designed to test players to their collecting limits. The goal is simple, collect every coin in each of the 80 test chambers to advance.

The game is currently available on Windows Phone and has amassed a following of over 1 million players, which still amazes me as it was my first ever game release (I've released 3 successful games since then).

Since this was my first ever game release the graphics were pretty basic and im currently deciding whether to upgrade the graphics so its all sparkly and new for iOS or whether to release the same version thats available on WP... obviously art costs money so its a bit of dilemma whether i should upgrade the graphics for this release or make a sequel later down the line instead which uses a whole new engine with realistic physics, proper lighting and just generally more advanced.

Anyway heres the original trailer from Xbox Indie games back in 2012, let me know what you think:

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    It looks freaking awesome and a lot of fun to play. I actually like those graphics. As long as they are retina it should be fine.

3. SuperSmithBros

Sep 13, 2013
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Cornwall, UK
    Thanks man, it currently runs in low res 800x480 but at the very least I will be upscaling everything so it looks nice and crisp on retina :)

Feedback from Windows Phone has been really good but I've found its a very marmite kind of game, people either love it or hate it because of the rage element... I often see reviews where people tell me they've thrown their phone at the wall in a fit of rage. lol.

4. SuperSmithBros

Sep 13, 2013
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Cornwall, UK
    //updated original post//

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Do adverts with a 1.99 ad removal iap.

6. SuperSmithBros

Sep 13, 2013
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Cornwall, UK
    Definitely doable but I always think IAPs need to offer something more than just removing the ads? Another option is to offer 20 levels free with ads and then IAP for the remaining 60?

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I already have Obsessive Collecting Disorder! My obsession with collecting games and apps, that is! Haven't found a cure yet. Just gotta keep on doing it, then I feel better!

8. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California

I think you have a lot of company with your Obsessive Collecting Disorder! We are legion. :)

9. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    This game looks like a lot of fun!

As for pricing, I don't care if a game is premium with no further purchases needed, or ad-supported with an IAP to get rid of the ads. If I have the option to lose the ads, I will always purchase that option happily.

10. Sponggy

Sponggy Active Member

Jul 11, 2015
    It looks like been there done that
    Nothing new our exciting, about this one for me

11. SuperSmithBros

Sep 13, 2013
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Cornwall, UK
    Thanks, yea i'm leaning more toward the ad supported route at the moment since its less of an entry barrier, plus the game is extremely hard with a lot of content to keep bringing people back.

Thanks for your comments and appreciate you taking the time to have a look.

OCD is sort of a cross between N+ and Super Meat Boy, the basic premise is that stickman has become obsessed with collecting trinkets in video games and is now under going treatment. The treatment is a series of extreme and deadly test chambers to see just how far he'll go to collect every coin before he rage quits or dies :)

I'm not aware of any other platform games on mobile that are hugely similar, there is a also a huge amount of variety in the game with each stage introducing new traps and mechanics.