Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    if you need some testing on older hardware being done let me now. iphone 5, ipad mini 2 (iOS 7), ipad4 (iOS 6), ipad 2 (ios 5)

cheers ;)

2. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi Mr. Ugly, thanks for the help last time! The game will require at least 400mb of memory, so the ipad 2 will never be supported, but I'm hoping to support the other devices, but maybe only in 30 fps (rock steady though)... I will dm you..

3. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I will dm you with the details!

4. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #164 gjestland, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    I've send out DMs with request for UDIDs. If you haven't recieved one, or would like to participate in the tesing, just send me an email at [email protected].

I will only distribute this build to owners of iphone5s, iphone6, iphone6+, ipadmini2, ipadmini retina, ipad air and ipad air 2 at this time because the game is so unoptimized. Every generation of devices has this incredible leap in processing power, and "Fugl" is very processor intensive because of the continious terrain generation. It's gonna be a huge battery-drain, be warned! :)

The next build (a week or two from now) will hopefully be more optimized. I'm aiming for support for iPhone5, iPhone5C, iPad4, but maybe only 30fps, because of the gpu. All other devices will not be supported because of the lack of cpu and RAM. "Fugl" will require about 400mb of free RAM.

However, I'm working on reducing the memory requirement to lower the requirements. I can't promise anything, but I have some ideas....

5. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
  6. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    same, now waiting for the download link :) my ipad is ready for the colors!

7. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    Can't wait to play it :)

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Since more people than I anticipated have lower end devices, I will try to work on a 30 fps version that supports even ipad2, ipad3, orginal ipad mini, iphone 4s and ipod touch5. The biggest hurdle is actually the terrain generation, not the memory imprint, but I have some ideas to speed it up...

I can't promise anything, but it's worth a go. I want as many as possible playing the game of course!

9. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Tropical Islands! Enjoy flying through the towering hills! Where some animals have adapted to this treacherous terrain ;P

Plenty of obstacles to go through!

Attached Files:

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Good news everybody! I've been optimizing today, and I'm happy to say that iPad4 and iPhone5/5C will be fully supported in 60fps! I've reduced the memory footprint to 340mb, but it's still a long way away from iPad2/iPhone4s/iPod touch5/original iPad mini's available ram of 270 mb ca. I think those devices will be way too slow anyhow, but I will test them after I release the first alpha (tomorrow hopefully!).

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Wow! This is real dedication. Seems noone optimizes code much anymore.

I just wanted to chime in and say that Melodive was playable (barely) on my iPhone4... ;)

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I feel bad for leaving to many people behind! :)

Did you ever get to play it on another device? Beacuse then you would agree that it was NOT playable on a iPhone4, haha. :D

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Yes, after many (many) years I even Mrs. Drelbs agreed I deserved to upgrade to a 6 Plus. :D

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    So, did you notice any difference with Melodive? ;)

15. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Just installed it and played for a coupe of minuts. I'll leave my impressions here tomorrow. But it's really smooth!

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Oh yes! :D

17. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Got v 0.2 on my phone. Super smooth and controls feel really natural.

Right now there's no sound for me. Is this a bug or is sound just not worked into the game yet?

18. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i installed and played a bit. It was without sound, flowed well and quite beautiful and distinctive!

However, i have major issues with the controls. I can't get the hang of it too well, each thumb for one wing. But more importantly, they aren't sensitive enough to me. I like being able to make small gestures for bigger degree turns / yaws/ pitches.

Also, when i crash to the ground (which happened most often) the bird would drag on the ground and white space could be seen at the bottom of the screen coming up.

But really very playable even at this stage, and the birds and the world are really looking great!

19. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I think there's definitely supposed to be some floatiness to the controls, it makes the bird feel quite lifelike.

However, I do agree that the sensitivity can be a bit all over the place - turning feels like there's quite a bit of inertia to it (e.g. when you're turning downwards and switch to turning upwards, it takes some time before your bird will turn upwards)

For now I feel like I can traverse the environment with ease, but for precise maneuvers (to collect animals on the ground in the future) some tweaks may need to be made.

20. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Yeah we haven't implemented sound yet, this build is just to test the controls mostly. Thanks for all the feedback guys! Keep em coming :D