Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    iPhone 6 Plus here, would love to alpha test this if you're still looking for it!

2. secredut

secredut Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Awesome! It seems you just got one more iPhone 5s tester. let us know when it will be! :D

3. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Polar Biome! Home of penguins and polar bears! ... among others hehe...

Thank you guys for your interest in testing the game! We're working hard to get it ready for you, thank you for your patience! ;D

Attached Files:

4. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Polar biome just looks spectacular.

5. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks a lot icoker! Currently reworking the mountain biome, and later on the desert biome as well :D thanks for the support!

6. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    #146 icoker, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    That bone-tinglily cool glacial hue is one heck of a biome :)

Aside from that, it would be equally lovely to see all sorts of biomes like the desert and mountain you are currently working on.

Here's one suggestion - Do you see adding a beach biome as a valid option? Sort of like a paradise island beach or even harsh unrelenting shores with dark rocky cliffs? I think it would be interesting to see the charismatic and extreme side of nature in addition to the zen-like relaxative quality that it possesses.

7. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that is a great idea! Tropical islands, Thailand-style, like the famous james bond island:
    phangnga-bay-phuket-james-bond-island-thailand-thailand+1152_12942598113-tpfil02aw-29366.jpg

8. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Tweaked the colors in the Polar biome a bit, for more realistic hues... Currently working on the Tropical Islands, should be done with that one around monday or tuesday ;D

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

Attached Files:

9. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    I didnt think about altering hues but the emerald screams authenticity. Nice touch!

10. Kangtakang

Kangtakang Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Good idea :D and some kind of overpowered reward after you beat the final boss will be super cool ! Like Super speed buff , it make the game has good replay value :D
    Andddddd 400 mb !:eek: im so excited ! The bigger the better :D

11. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I'm liking all the ideas that people post here, and the reception of them by the devs! So i will make one more : will a night setting work? Like, night over Rio, or something, with lights and torches and sounds of carnival etc? :)

Can't wait for the alpha test!

12. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    If constructing a big city like Rio de Janeiro becomes too much of a work, it would still be a great idea to add in a night setting. Add a moon and its moonlight in the biome.

13. Bhuynh987

Bhuynh987 New Member

Feb 7, 2015
    The game looks very nice. Are you beta testing yet?

14. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Pretty good idea! That sounds pretty interesting. We were originally thinking of having some sort of tribal looking structures, keeping it sort of nature oriented.

The night and day aspect would be pretty nice assuming the moon provides enough light to see. And additionally maybe a basic weather system could be pretty awesome too! But alot of it boils down to making sure we keep the game play smooth as possible (60fps)

Alpha testing's not yet, but it should be available very soon.

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #155 gjestland, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Yes, it might work! I've decieded to keep the biome-transitions pretty simple, so it would be possibe to go into a night setting, where the moon takes the role of the sun, but with tweeked colors of course. My lighting system is pretty basic Minecraft stuff so torches and city lights are easy to put in there. The main focus of this game is creating a beautiful flying game with a lot of different scenery, so we're looking for fresh ideas. Keep them coming!

I'm finishing it up as we speak, just need to make it a bit more playable. I've recreated Marco's Canyon-biome (see earlier post), and it's looking great. A lot of fun flying in the slot canyon systems, with lots of caves to go through. It's going to be a cool little test, just too see how easy people will adjust to the controls and get a feel for the flying (even though I haven't implemtented a proper wind-system yet, and the animals are just window-dressing for the moment!

The game will not be finished for a couple of months still (at least), but I think it will be a fun process for you people to test it out in it's rough form, and I'm hoping the feedback will make it a truly great and unique game.

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks! No beta yet, I'm sending out the first pre-alpha build in a few days, beta will come much later (the game is very much a work in progress!). You are most welcome to participate from the start, as I'm looking for as many testers as possible...

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm aiming for a lot of replay-value, as it's basically going to be an endless game, but with a very hard end-goal. The fun is really in the flying though!

Bit I like you're idea about super speed. I want to implement a kind of tuning of the bird so instead of adjusting settings, you can adjust the look of the bird to customize the flying-phyics. A jet-pack after completion shouldn't be too much too ask, haha (even though I must make an disclaimer on all features, as I have my hands full just implementing the basics, I want the game to be as simple as possible, but still fun for all skill-levels.)

No matter what, it's very important to get a dynamic going between going very slow and very fast, that is an integral part of the game!)

It's the first time I've heard somebody asking for a big file size! Remember most of it is procedural, so it doesn't take a lot of room. The finished game will probably be less than 20 mb, but it will have a lot of things to see.

We plan on adding more content after release also, like new animals and new biomes too keep the game fresh and replayable. We have this idea that even the 1000th time you play the game you will suddenly see something new as some stuff will only rarely make an appearance, and some stuff will have snuck though the backdoor (automatic updates).

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, everybody is welcome. I'm finishing up the first pre-alpha build as we speak. I just need to fix a few things, but I'm dying to get it out there! I even have a domain ready for over-the-air distrubition, so you can just install it from a web-page. (still need UDID's though...)

I will send out a dm to everybody in this thread within a day or two with more info and request for UDID's. Please don't send it to me now, as I'm registering a special e-mail account for all testing purposes! :)

BUMMER ALERT:
    I will have to do some more testing also, because I'm afraid now that "Fugl" will be a little bit too intense for devices older that the iPhone5S/iPad Air/iPad Mini Retina. People will iPhone5 and iPad3/4 are still welcome to test, but the biggest problem is the processor speed, and that's hard to circumvent. There is a lot of terrain-generation going on in the background, so it might make the game unplayable. I use iPhone5S and iPad Air to develop the game, so those devices will be golden for sure. More testing needed! Marco and me are really commited to both making the most beautiful voxel-game possible and also 60 fps is very important to us, because of the immersion it gives. So I hope people can forgive me for being a bit discriminatory against the older devices, I'm hoping to support as much as possible, but I must also be realistic. The gap between 5 and 5s is huge, between iPad4 and iPad Air likewise... :(

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I have found an alternative (see above). There will be over-the-air installation from a web-page! Still need UDUD's though... :)

20. mriman2002

mriman2002 New Member

Feb 8, 2015
    I'm sorry to bother you but how can we test the game? Will you post a website. Again sorry if this has been al ready asked