Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    All levels, as far as I can tell. I've sent you a short vid showing the crash in action so you can hear what I mean about the two different pitches of the ambient music on launch.

btw, really love how alive and luminous the various biomes feel with all the wildlife and and drifting clouds.

2. Reydn

Reydn Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    This is a beautiful game. I think it's strengths are:
    - the artwork/graphics
    - the sense of exploration and freedom
    - the expansive worlds
    - simple gameplay that requires effort to master

I agree that for multiplayer a game of tag would be compelling. I think it would maintain the minimalist gameplay and the advantages above, without complicating things too much.

For a single player experience, I think it would be great to include specific objects players must collect, or maneuvers they must complete, to unlock the other worlds. In addition, it would be great if there was an element of 'character building'. I think this could remain simple - again, one of Fugl's advantages is it's straightforward and minimalist approach. Stats that could improve might include speed, and the ability to hit the ground at higher speeds without dying, or the ability to fly in place for scoping out the world around.

As a premium game, I'm guessing the target audience will be driven to continue playing by discovery and character building. It has a great foundation, it just needs a little bit of gameplay to make it extremely compelling. I think the things I mentioned retain and build upon the core elements of Fugl.

3. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    It seems random, but frequent - at start of the app.

I just tapped the icon and I got the bird and a few notes and it quit. Again, then it showed the level and the title Fugl started to rotate up and -- crash. Once again, exact same. Fourth tap, now it's running still. The level happened to be Cave.
    iPhone 6S+

(Cave is my favorite level now.) :)

bp

4. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I found the bug, I was hoping to add some more content before releasing a new build, but I've changed my mind. I'm finalizing as we speak... :)

Finally let go of the canyon? Speaking how which, how do you like the current one? I'm not 100 % happy with it, but it's hard to put it into words...

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.8.2.2 is out!

– fixed random crash on start up
    – added option to choose between first person and orbit swipe-camera
    – added sunlight to volcano-level

more content coming soon! :)

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, I think you sum it up very clearly and I completely agree. I will try to implement some character-building as I already have an idea for this (bird design screen).

7. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    I tested Fugl earlier this year, but it was too difficult for me, my invite expired, and i've nearly forgotten it. But today I played Melodive for the first time in months. I found it entertaining, and I beat my high score twice... So i've just donated 0.99 for Melodive.

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks man, I really appreciate it! Not many have donated even though I gave out almost 400k free copies... :/

If you want a new invite, just send me an email: [email protected]. A lot has happened since earlier this year and the game is much easier to control now...

9. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    New Biome coming soon, Hills! Let's see what kind of tricks you guys can do here!

This is kind of how it looks like when i make a biome model...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    Free Mode for the Inept but Curious ?

Cool, I will take you up on it. I think I spent a bit of time practising in Melodive's free mode before attempting a high score in arcade mode, if Fugl has a free mode, it could be easier to pick up, imo.

11. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Nice biome! It looks like The Land of the Lost!

bp

12. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    On the one hand I like that there are more caves and longer caves, and the more lava-lampy structures are interesting to fly around, but they feel alien somewhat. It feels less like an American Southwest canyon than it once did, I must say. If I could adjust it, I would leave the deeper / longer caves, but make the overall structures less "exotic."

bp

13. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Apreciate it Blake! I think the tall pillars should offer something different and exciting to fly through :D

Also regarding the Canyon Biome I was thinking of flatter tops and maybe adding some trees and bushes to make it more interesting up there?

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Fugl 0.8.2.4 is out!

New stuff:
    - 2 new levels: Oasis and jungle
    - 5 new animals: Cocodile, vulture, bilby, kengaroo, desert rabbit
    - Minor tweaks to canyon level
    - Increased sensitivity on the iPhone

Coming in the future:
    - New UI
    - Rigid body simulation of all the animals (fingers crossed)
    IMG_2378.jpg IMG_2374.jpg

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
  16. SamTheMadRabbit

SamTheMadRabbit Active Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I absolutely adore the new biomes! Oasis kinda reminds me of Morrowind for some reason.

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks, it means a lot! It's just the first iteration, things might change, but only for the better of course... :) Haven't played Morrowind, so idk about that.

18. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I am loving the new Biomes -- most especially the Jungle. So atmospheric!

I am seeing a lot of crashes though on my iPad Air 2. Sometimes mid-game, often shortly after launch, but not during launch like the last bug. Something is definitely up, there. I have only been in the two new Biomes of late, if that might matter re: crashes.

So nice.

bp

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok, keep me posted. Strange, i have no crashes on my iPad Air, I suspect the audio library, it it's a bit faulty (crashes on each error).

BTW: I got confirmation that iPad Pro works.

20. Nskun

Nskun New Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Fugl new updates are amazing !!

Hello everyone,

I just fell in love with the new oasis and the jungle maps ,the screaming hawk sound just gave the speed of flying so much adrenaline :)