Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Mostly my iPad is online when playing games, so this sounds a like a fantastic idea and fully willing to test and brainstorm on this one.
    Especially the mating idea sounds truly unique. I am all for this!

2. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Could the dragons glow to a degree? Generate their own light.

bp

3. Nskun

Nskun New Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Fugl 0.8.2 snapshot option

Hello,

I don't know if somebody else experienced this or it is just in my iphone, the snapshot option doesn't crash the app any more but all it does is taking blank snapshots, the throwing fire dragon in this version freaked the hell out of me while flying haha
    I noticed that the bird can fly through some beautiful colored forests in the mountain level, I don't know if this was an update or it's just me again imagining stuff while enjoying flying freely.

Looking forward for more from this game, I like it soo much

4. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Yeah, it's all done through gamecenter, so you can invite friends, search for nearby players or be matched with a random bird.

That's excactly my thinking. In free roam mode you can customize as you wish, but in online-mode you would start of with a selection of only a few birds and you would need to find people that wants to mate with you, so you can get new birds based on the combined gene-material. The genes also determines the physics of bird of course You would actually not know if the other bird wants to mate or kill you before a little into the match, haha. It doesn't have to be two seperate leaderboards either, a mating could be +1 point to each player and a kill could be +2 and a death -2, for example.

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    They actually do now, but I could make them brighter of course. I think some kind of moonlight would be better though, as the glow won't interact with the terrain, so it looks a bit fake... I'll do some tweeks and we'll take it from there... :)

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Haha, that's great! :D Yeah, the snapshot function is not working at the moment, haven't had any luck fixing it yet...

Yeah, I recently re-did the mountains... :)

More content is coming soon. Working on the desert-biome and jungle-biome as we speak!

7. Goosepuse

Goosepuse New Member

Nov 3, 2015
    #1227 Goosepuse, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    I have only played about 1.5h but so far it has worked great for me, only once did it crash on startup but then i closed it and reopened it and after two times it worked again.

The ingame screenshot doesnt work for me, the screen flashes(Edit: nvm this, tired and delusional) when i take one but there is no screenshot to be found.

Other than that the flight mechanics are great and i would say the game/controls are easy to learn and hard to master, which in my opinion is the way it should be.

My only gripes with the controls are that when i try to get max flappning speed on a dime i accidently zoom around instead and makes me crash every now and then when i have my highspeed cave/tunnel runs. And when i am perching i sometimes get stuck on edges and have to move back and forward til the bird jumps over to the block i want.

My little brother sat down next to me and started asking me questions about the game yesterday.

lil'bro: What are you playing?

me: Fugl, it's norwegian for bird.

lil'bro: What do you do in it?

me: Fly around, do bird stuff.

lil'bro: That seems boring.

me: *Lands on the ground and starts perching*

lil'bro: WHAT!?! YOU SAID YOU COULD ONLY FLY!? :O

me: i said bird stuff too ;) *flies through tunnel and crashes*

lil'bro: you suck at flying.

me: Why don't you try then :D

I just told him the controls and then he started flying around, me and my brother are huge gamers so we have a tendancy to get into games quickly but i think that anyone could pick this up and be flying as long as they get a simple tuturial.

I think multiplayer is a great idea, especially with the nonviolent way to "score ;););)"

8. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    So, with the Apple TV 4 out now (I'm really enjoying it)...what are you thinking? Is 50-inch, widescreen Fugl in the cards?

Controls are the question, I suppose. I guess you can't commandeer some of the control buttons on the unit to be app-controlled. There's just tilt, swipe, and tap/click. Holding remote flat could soar, angling it down could enable flapping, further down the faster the flapping, with a thumb on the touchpad controlling flight direction. Hmmm... Might just work.

bp

9. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Do you remember when it crashed excactly?

Yeah, it's not working at the moment.

That's great to hear.

Ok, I'll fix the camera-thingie in the next release, but when do you get stuck excactly? Are you close to a wall, or just the edge?

Great story, but did he think about it? Did he still miss objectives?

Yeah, I'm hoping to keep the game as non-violent as possible. Shooting will come in later games with the same engine.

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Not Fugl as it is, because there is no local storage for apps, so there can only be pre-generated levels. But I want to release some kind of variant of it for the Apple TV of course, just need to think a bit more about it...

11. Goosepuse

Goosepuse New Member

Nov 3, 2015
    It crashed when i started the app right about when you see the titlescreen. I don't know if it has to do with me orienting the phone in the opposite way, what i mean is that when i start fugl the app orients itself in landscape mode with the home button to the left, and i like having it on the right.

I did some testing and if i hold the phone in portrait mode and let it orient itself it crashes anyway, but it only happens 1/5 times if i have force closed the app in the "recents"(dont know what it is called on iOS, im coming straight from android.)or multitaskingview whatever it's called.

I havnt played in a few days so i did some new testing, and i didnt really have i problem now with it now. I noticed the times i get stuck is when there is two blocks down or up to the next block, so in that way the bird won't jump down or up and stay on the current block which i assume is intended.

But it has happend that i get stuck in corners where their is a wall, and that makes the camera clipp through the world.

He thought it was fun, he mostly flew around and tried to do tricks, he had a hard time trying to land tho. But then i told him to try to slow down before ascending to the ground, and he eventually got it.

I dont think he missed having objectives, he's more the kind of person who only does objectives in games is you really have to, or if you get some new gear/weapons doing so, and also story missions.

Oooh are you making more games with this engine? Interesting ;)

12. Goosepuse

Goosepuse New Member

Nov 3, 2015
    #1232 Goosepuse, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    I got an idea for an objective, maybe you already thought of this but here it is.

What if you could build a nest?

First you have to find a nice tree or other location for a nest and then you have to collect parts(sticks) to build it. And to find the nest you last slept in(or laid eggs)you either land and get some kinda pointer to where your nest is or you press some corner on your screen and you get a pointer whilst flying.

And maybe you could tie that in with other ideas like mating.

How about it? :D

13. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    #1233 Shaun C, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
    I've been playing this off and on for the past week. Love the feel of swooping through canyons and skimming low over the water, as I'm sure others have remarked many times.

The flying in feels very natural. It didn't take long to get a basic familiarity with it (and the process of doing so was enjoyable), yet there's a sense that you can become much more skilled with practice. This alone adds a pleasing sense of reward to the experience as you start pulling off increasingly impressive flights.

Mind you, I only play on the default setting with auto-levelling. I briefly tried tilt to roll, but apart from one amazing (and accidental) barrel roll through a canyon, I tended to run into to trouble with that. And by trouble, I mean 'the ground' :)

Generally I like having objectives and defined challenges in games. Yet even so, I've had quite a bit of fun setting my own challenges. For example, trying to fly from peak to peak to perch on each one, or simply finding a nice spot next to a waterfall.

Taking off again after perching feels a little fraught with danger, though. I usually try to take off from a good spot, but it seems that just clipping the ground under you as strive for altitude often results in a crumpled and dead bird. Perhaps a second or two of leeway after taking off could help beginners?

Anyway, I've been trying to think of possible gameplay elements, but it's tricky, because it'd be nice to avoid anything too contrived that would undercut the core experience of being a bird free in this lovely wildlife-filled world.

You mentioned the possibility of multiplayer. One option that could be fun might be a 2 player tag mode, where one player chases the other. If you catch the other player, the tables are turned and the chaser becomes the chased.

Possibly the pursuing bird (the hunter!) could be given a very slight speed advantage, while the one being chased (the prey!) would have the natural advantage of surprise due to being the leader -- weaving around peaks and hugging canyon walls... suddenly changing direction to throw the hunter off, etc. Basically a bit like the Millennium Falcon trying to lure pursuing TIE fighters to their doom. :)

Given that one of the central thrilling experiences in Fugl is those high speed breathtaking runs, the excitement of a chase could play nicely into that core experience while increasing the tension and giving a sense of purpose/reward to the act off pulling of risky feats of flying skill. You could tie it into a very simple scoring system: catching your prey earns you a point; crashing and hence failing to catch your prey earns the other player a point.

Apart from that, I haven't had any ideas about gameplay elements. When I play Fugl, I am a bird, and birds don't think about such things.

Btw, I experience a fairly frequent problem with the app crashing on launch on my iphone 6+. It shows the launch screen, then crashes back to my home screen at the point when the title should appear. What's interesting is that I've noticed that as the game launches, the background ambient music starts with an initial note -- sometimes that note is a lower pitch, and sometimes it's higher. Every time it's the higher pitched note, the game starts fine, but every time it's the lower note, the game crashes. So... hopefully that gives you something to go on.

14. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I am experiencing basically the same thing on my 6S+.

bp

15. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    How soon will you be targeting the iPad Pro?

bp

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok, maybe you can notice if it happens on a specific level?

I'll look into it... :)

Yeah, landing needs some more work I think...

Good point. Objectives is like chores you do so you'll get an reward afterwards. The objectives in themselves might be pretty boring, but that's ok as long as the rewards is good enough. This mechanic I would like to stay clear of for sure... :)

Absolutely! I've planned a space shooter, dragon sim and golf game. Most of the work with Fugl is getting the engine to work, it will get much easeier after this release...

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yeah, I've been thinking about it and I like the idea, but I'm not sure about it's use though...

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok great, I think this is the game right there... :)

Yes, I like this, it's a bit like like minecraft or old games, when you need your imagination to play along, there is something beautiful about that I think. I sure wouldn't any objectives that feels boring, but maybe there might be some that can play along with this bird role-playing bit, like the nesting idea above...

Yeah, I'll look into that some more...

Yeah, that's a good idea... I'm not sure if I can pull of multiplayer though, but I'll give it a shot!

Hehe, well put Shaun. Thanks for your detailed feedback! :)

Interesting about the sound, i'll look into it, but have you noticed if it happnes on just some levels or all?

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hmm.. Try to notice if it happens only on some levels or all of them, or if it's totally random?

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hmm, hard to tell. I won't be able to buy one until at least a month from now. If anyone one of the testers bought one, I could probably fix the compatibility pretty fast though...