Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Custom engine, made from scratch! :)

Yes, I bought it, but couldn't get into it. I would like to avoid the "going through rings"-mechanic as I think it's super tired, but I might have missed something?

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.8.2.0 is out!

New stuff:
    - Fire-breathing dragons!
    - No crashes while generating terrain (app uses 80-90 mb less memory).

3. SamTheMadRabbit

SamTheMadRabbit Active Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Does that mean there will be larger levels?

4. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Not at the moment, as I will need to redo how the levels are generated, but I'm considering it. Do you feel they are too small now?

5. SamTheMadRabbit

SamTheMadRabbit Active Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Not really, but there's always room for improvement.

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe, always... :)

7. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    does that mean we will have playable dragons in another game / or in this one? :D ahahhaa

8. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I am so liking the evolution of the game. Even enjoying the Volcano biome now. :) Cave with the new waterfalls is the most beautiful. You've gotta re-enable video capture!

One thing I do miss is the ability to left swipe and look at the bird from all angles, recently replaced with zoom look. I might suggest zoom look when the bird is perched, but rotate bird-centric view when in the air. Or an option toggle for that? Was really liking panning around the flying bird cinematically.

bp

9. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Yeah the dragon game idea, not sure Fugl will have a playable dragon other than an awesome customizable bird but maybe the some of the bird customizations could make it look like a dragon? :eek:

10. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    I agree with the option to toggle it, they are both so different and so good.

I think eventually we'll have to add a lot of options and make it as customizable as possible to be able to create the best experience for each player. The experience is one of our main goals, more power to the player!

Glad you're enjoying the volcanic biome more!
    What other animals would you like to see there?
    Also do you think the dragons should be more "hot colored" (red,yellows... etc?)

11. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I think the dragons should be brighter, to stand out better. I had a hard time determining what was a dragon and what was a flying ball of lava at times. And hot colored might look more eye catching, yea.

bp

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    So far I am really enjoying this.
    One small cosmetic suggestion.
    When it generates a level, could you perhaps turn the level name into a progress bar?
    For instance: pixel column by pixel column it turns into color until it reaches the last column on the right of the last letter? :)

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I think Ramzarules thirst for dragons is more about the setting things on fire part... ;)

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #1214 gjestland, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Great! I tried to re-enable video capture in the latest release, but now it only records black, so I need to check my code...

Yeah, I agree, something got lost. I'll add the option in the next release! :)

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It's a problem with the lighting concept for the level, might have to adjust that as there currently is only light from the lava. Should probably be some moonlight also, like in the cave, but a bit dimmer.

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Glad to hear that! :)

Great idea, thanks, I'll implement that for sure! :)

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I’ve decided I want to give multiplayer a shot. It will add so much if it works and the problems are not unsolvable. There could for instance be a special multiplayer arena that is shared among all players, but switched out every week.

I’m thinking multiplayer could both be used as player vs player combat, but also mating, were you would search for a perfect mate to advance the desired traits of your bird. There could be seperate leaderboards for combat and mating.

Free roam would of course stay the same with the planned bird designer screen. What do you guys think?

18. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep that in mind, I've brightened them some more (not in-game yet) I can also try to tweak the colors a bit to fit the biome better as I feel green, blue and purple aren't fitting so well. Work in progress :D

19. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    I see :eek:!! The new particle effects will be of great use here ;)

20. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    This sounds amazing. I was just thinking local 2 player multiplayer, but this, this is a whole new level. I definitely recommend persuing this idea. So you mean a single worldwide server that anyone can drop in and out of? I guess it depends on the popularity of the game.

You could limit the colour selections to what the user first sets it as, and mating could unlock new colours depending on your partners colour or something, I don't know. Leaderboards could be birds eaten/mated with in a day, week, month.