Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe.. :)

Hopefully it will be back in the release after the next one.

This is so cool, just the experience I'm hoping that Fugl can provide... :)

Thank you for understanding and appreciating it, it really means a lot! :)

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe, that's great that you feel that way, but there is still a lot of things that needs to be done... Some kind of tutorial is needed and I want to put in more content and the bird customization screen. But, we'll add stuff after release too, to keep it fresh, so release will be sooner than later.

3. applicattura

applicattura Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I only have iphone 4s, but prolly for this game i will buy new phone :)

4. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe, Fugl is a good reason to upgrade, can't deny that! ;)

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.8.1.10 is out!

Fixed a bug where you would get stuck trying to land
    Fixed a bug that would cause unpredictable behaviour when taking off
    Made the floating birds take-off when you approach
    Added water skimming particles to birds taking off
    Made the other birds try to to avoid you
    Fixed a bug in the rotation of the birds
    Reduced sensitivty of the camera
    No need for terrain generation with this update!

Update is live on Testflight and it's also on the website... :)

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Looks like the iOS 9.1update fixes the random lag issue that was bothering Fugl under iOS 9.

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
  8. q8phantom

q8phantom Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait
    The video looks fabulous!

I'm new here, congrats for making such a quality game, and unique!

9. applicattura

applicattura Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Video is great. I would like to ask what is the purpose of the game, is it flying and discovering of the world :)? I pm'ed you hope you'll find time to response :)

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you very much! :)

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    No purpose yet, struggling to find some relevant gameplay. Lately I've been thinking that each level should have it's own objective...

12. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
  13. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    <3!!

14. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    The 3D spatial audio is awesome! I just tried it with headphones for the first time in months. And did I hear a bit of atmospheric tone sequences? Not exactly music. More of that! (I often don't hear it.)

The waterfalls are amazing. Adds so much.

I often can't really see so well in the Volcano biome (slightly more gamma might be nice), my least favorite I must say -- but nice steam from the lava rivulets.

FYI: Screenshot corners on crashes the app when I tap the corner on my 6S+ (at least).

Awesome stuff tho.

bp

15. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    #1195 popjam5, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    For the objective of the game, (if there really needs to be one, I think it's fine as it is) maybe there could be a little notice before each biome stating 'catch 5 eagles, 2 rabbits and 1 dragon', once these requirements have been met in one go, the player progresses to the next level, which would be randomly generated (maybe popping up in the corner during flight). This way it doesn't break the immersion like huge rainbow sky-hoops would and the player can choose whether or not to participate. Also this way you don't have to limit the altitude the bird can go to (I think you said before you were thinking of adding wind or something above mountains so it's not too easy).

I really love the game so far and even if you sold it on the app store right now it could easily be disguised as a finished product. It's seriously the most atmospheric game, I could see it helping people to relieve stress etc. In fact I don't think you should market it as a game, more of a bird simulation program or something :)

Two questions:

Is there anyway to increase the draw distance?
    and
    Have you ever thought about mutliplayer Fugl?

16. Nskun

Nskun New Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Fugl test summary

Hello,

After trying Fugl 0.8.1.10 in iphone 5s with Ios 8 for the last couple of days I found out that is a captivating game already, there are no goals yet and if there will be then it will make it more interesting like to travel around the globe and experience different weather conditions, this game is definitely a virtual reality oriented game, the tilt option gives you a sense of smooth control of the bird with a lot of curves between mountains.I noticed that the corner screenshot option crashes sometimes,no choppy animation the fps is running smoothly, I also noticed the missing of a pause option while flying maybe that is coming later, the wind,sensitivity and gravity option are so great to play with,I don't know if this sounds ok but I can be great if the bird isn't blocked by trees leaves, this will make it fly through vegetation therefor more speed and adrenaline can be added to the game.

I hope this can help a little ,I will try to post more notes in the next couple of days while testing it :)
    This game rocks already, can't wait to get the final commercial version.
    Thank you !!

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, there is some atmospheric tone sequences, and there will be more of them, I'm just gently testing them out now. Each biome will have it's own set of tones in the end I think...

Yeah, it's the most unfinished of the biomes, also a little bit more fog here so that might grey things out a bit. I'm soon adding the dragons to it, so then it might be a bit more interesting...

Yes, I completely forgot about them when swtiching to Metal. They try to read the openGL framebuffer so it's no wonder they're crashing. Hoping to fix this is the next release!

Thanks, happy you're happy, and I love your watch! Tell me if you need a higher resolution version of the icon? I could send you the psd.

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I'm leaning more and more towards an open structure, but maybe with some optional biome specific goals, like saving the penguins from polar bears in the polar biome for instance.

Absolutely, very good point. I will work on the app store description to refelct that this is first and foremost a bird flight simulator and good for relieving stress and just relaxing and not a hectic "twitch"-game.

I'm continously working on increasing the draw distance, and I have some optimizations still to do, but I cannot promise any huge gains here.

Yes, it's my dream and I will do some testing on it before releasing, but there is numerous problems with multiplayer. First of all the players needs to be on the same map, and that's a problem since every map is unique. But there is of course solutions to this. I would really love some kind of multiplayer though, as I think it would add a lot to the game...

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm glad your enjoying Fugl! I want to add some weather effects for sure, but it will come at a later stage. The screenshot corners will crash the game for now, but I'm hoping to fix that in the next build. There is no pause button yet, I really don't want to clutter the screen with any UI while playing so this is a problem. Maybe it can auto-pause if you don't touch the screen for x seconds, i don't know... I might make the whole bird be able to fly though vegetaion, not only the wings, good suggestion!

Please do! :)

20. sortris

sortris Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2015
    Male
    Warsaw, Poland
    #1200 sortris, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    Voxel graphics - that is what we have in common! :)
    I didn't find any information about Game Engine you use. Is it Unity3D maybe?
    Did you see PixWings game? It is an indie game from Poland. Maybe it will give you some gameplay inspirations :)