Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok, great. Wonder if i can increase the draw distance further... :)

No problem, I just assumed it would render in the strange 3X format, but it turns out it acutally renders in native res, which is a very good thing. 1080p must be pretty amazing for such a small device, would love to see it running on it. Well, one day I guess... :)

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Well Fugl is very simple render-wise, with very few state changes, so it didn't do a lot since I'm bandwidth bound anyhow. But it opens up some possibilites for further optimizations and instanced drawing was much quicker (hence the 3X animals). Now i just need to make the animals move a little smarter, and it will be very fun just to watch. I have some ideas in that department...

3. Aravon17

Aravon17 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Loving the plethora of birds and new sounds! Keeps getting better and better!

4. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I loaded the latest build on my iPad Air 2 (hadn't touched it in a week or so ... ahh, the iPhone 6S Plus is so lovely!) and Fugl is as smooth as glass, as smooth as it ever was. Even while it was rendering out the other biomes there was no slowdown whatsoever. I played across 4-5 biomes for 25 mins and I saw no slowdown ever. I'm not sure what the other poster here was seeing on his iPad. (And I don't have multitasking shut off.)

I do prefer the experience on the iPad more than the iPhone, just because the larger screen makes for deeper immersion.

So, I was flying in the canyon and taking in the sights of the clouds shadowing the walls and hearing the much improved animal sounds and noticing all these thing happening. I then landed on a tiny island in the middle of an open water area and just looked around and listened. Wow - the world has really come alive. I felt "right there" in that biome that feels so very alive. It's a magical experience. Fugl has headed in so very right a direction over the past year. It's wonderful.

(Canyon is still my favorite. :) )

bp

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks you! :)

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok, good to hear. My latest build is a little more optimized and I'm working on some further optimizations like collapsing similar voxel faces (greedy meshing).

Yeah absolutely, but it's pretty ok on an iPhone6 screen also.

Thank you, that's the feeling I'm aiming for. I'm currently working on enhancing that further with general ambience sounds and more interesting animals behaviour (like the predatory birds will go after fish and animals on the ground and flee you). Did you try with headphones? The 3D sound is pretty cool....

Yeah, and I've worked on it some more since last version, trying to get those caves just right. I also redid the mountain biome as I was never very happy with it. Now it looks more like the "Frozen"-version of Norway, haha! :D

7. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Did you adjust the colors again?

I loved the original orange-ish color of the Canyons, then I noticed the coloring went more towards a pink in an update. I quite preferred the orange, but now it seems the color is somewhere in the middle, and I'm liking it.

...or am I just seeing things? :)

Also, the Cave is _way_ better than it was originally, now.

bp

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Haven't tocuhed those in a long time, but of course the colors are a bit procedural, and they will be re-generated every time you start up Fugl.

Thanks, it was a huge rewrite!

9. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    *New Biome* Valley! With an alien-like exotic twist. Hope you guys like it :p

Attached Files:

10. Aravon17

Aravon17 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2014
    WOW! That looks wonderful!

11. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks alot Aravon! The formations seem sweet to fly through :p

12. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    loving the new biome! will you add diferent colored sky to go with it?

Edit : if you google : "zangarmarsh from above" in the pictures, maybe you will find some more inspiration towards this biome's final form ;)

13. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Will do! Thank you friend

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.8.1.7 is out!

New stuff:
    Completely revamped Mountain-biome (inspired by Norway!)
    100 % faster tesselation
    Tweeked canyon biome (more caves)
    Biome specific ambience sounds
    Shorter startup-time
    Bird shadow is back

It's at the website for UDID-testers, Testflight is processing now (could take an hour or two or more)...

Next release I'm fixing the crashing that might happen when generating the levels. Turns out loading all the sounds and models at startup was a very bad idea! :)

Also more animals, more interesting movement and more biomes!

15. jaysraptors_to

jaysraptors_to Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I'm running the most recent update of fugl: Getting an immediate crash with a notice in the middle of the screen saying if game crashes due to low memory... It crashes too quickly for me to read the notice. iPad Air 1 running iOS 8.0.2

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Damn! It must be the < iOS 8.3 problem again. Did you try a clean install?

17. jaysraptors_to

jaysraptors_to Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Just tried this, when I first opened it it showed the loading bar and loaded for about 25 seconds then crashed, I tried again, the notice appears for a brief second and it crashes again. Same problem as before.

18. Sr.Watson

Sr.Watson New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Stockholm / barcelona
    I attach a couple of images where it looks like the bird tail got stuck somewhere.
    Then when I start walking the tail was few cms away. After that the whole bird turned into a flat thing and then the game crashed.

Attached Files:

19. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    How do you like this one?

Attached Files:

20. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Wow!!