Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    BTW, you know that your thumb's touch area determines flapping speed, right?

2. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I am definitely noticing a very affecting issue where in two thumb mode, quite often, using right thumb for control, my slide won't register. And this is without ever removing my thumb. It's as if I've removed thumb from screen. I lift and replace and it starts working again.

I am getting no noticeable touchscreen issues in other apps. This is an iPhone 6S Plus with 128GB.

Any other reports?

bp

3. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    What do you mean by slide, control-input? Have you played on 6+ before? Are you sure no other fingers/palms are touching? Is it both sides or just the one?

I'll recheck my touch-code before next release, but it should be as it always has been when using two thumb mode... :confused:

4. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Haha, that's awesome bro!! #perched

5. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I've also experienced this issue to a certain extent. It happened to me a few times while using the 2 thumb controls, the left thumb would seem unresponsive at times or at least it would seem like it. This also happened with the left thumb control as well, the controlling thumb became randomly unresponsive didn't happen too often though.

Not much else to add to this as I can't explain why it happens :eek:

6. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Yea, it's a huge issue for me. I will take a video this weekend.

bp

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok, I went over all my code and found no problems. But I did do a google search for "ipohne 6 plus touch unresponsive" and there was A LOT of result. It seems like there is a bug somewhere in the OS that makes the phone randomly unresponsive for touch input and it only affected some apps and mostly in landscape mode (from what I gather). So the reason you might not have seen this issue before is because you seldom use your phone in landscape mode, right? It would be good if you iPhone 6(s) plus users could try to replicate this bug in some 3rd party app (in landscape mode).

Anyways this is the suggested fix:

http://www.igeeksblog.com/iphone-6-6-plus-touch-screen-unresponsive/
    http://www.technobezz.com/5-ways-to-fix-iphone-66-plus-unresponsive-touch-screen/

Basically, the following steps can be taken (the next more drastic than the previous)
    Close all apps
    Restart the phone
    Reset all settings
    Update OS
    Reset to factory setting
    Send to Apple

This is a well known issue and Apple is trading in non-functioning phones.

As for what I can do about, I really don't have a clue as my touch code is prettu simple and by the book, but I'll see if I can redo it somehow. I have also migrated the project over to a newer template in Xcode and cleaned up everything. Hopefully that will have an effect.

8. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Ugh.

I've played with it and basically it's like this - I have both fingers on screen. I lift up left flap finger and the right freezes. I retouch on left or lift and retouch on right and control is restored. Every time. No variation.

So unplayable for me.

Your find is interesting.

bp

9. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #1129 gjestland, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    thanks to your video and descrip i'm able to easily reproduce the bug, so it should be easy to fix. I'm a leftie so I usually play with my left thumb. Thanks! :)

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I found the bug and it's so embarrissing I need to post it here. You don't need to be a programmer to see the mistake here:

for (int t=0;t<fingersonscreen;t++) {
    iif (xstart[t]*diagonal<screenwidth/2.0f) {
    if (handedness) steering = t; else camera = t;
    } else {
    if (handedness) camera = t; else handedness = t;
    }
    }

New update is imminent!

11. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Hah - very nice. :)

Glad you found it -- I had just spent some time with several dual stick shooters and was about to report that I had no touchscreen issues there. Nice to not have to contemplate replacing my device!

Cheers.

bp

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It's so strange that nobody else had reported this, as it's a game-breaking bug when using the right thumb control mode. But I think maybe Marco might be affected by the OS bug I described... Update is 5 minutes away!

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.8.1.4 is out!

New stuff:
    metal rendering
    higher draw distance depending on device
    fixed a huge bug with right handed steering
    higher max bird flap speed
    tighter camera
    new animals: red hawk, owl, toucan and black seagull
    pitch adjustments with thumb in tilt
    3X animals on screen
    more and better sounds
    real animal sounds
    adjusted canyon biome

I've had two reports that the update crashes on devices with iOS 8.0 and 8.1, so beware until I can figure it out.

The update is also on the website... :)

14. jaysraptors_to

jaysraptors_to Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Looks like your already know this but yeah there is an instant crash on ios 8. Im on ios 8.0.2 with the iPad Air (1)

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yeah, but thanks for confirming. I need to download an old version of xcode and check for illegal code, but It might also be a metal bug.

16. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    That's an awesome list of features! How big a lift was the metal changeover? Big performance increase?

I found a bug I think: None of the bottom links (options, biomes, animals) work for me -- I just keep starting again with a tap there, as if I tapped higher up on the screen. Tried rotating the device, etc. Same.

( iPhone 6S+, 9.0.1)

bp

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Fugl 0.8.6 is out!

Just two bug fixes:
    - Pre iOS 8.3 crash
    - iPhone 6 plus unresponsive menu

iTunes is processing as we speak, but I've already uploaded a version to the website! :)

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I have an air 2 and the newest update may have made things a hair sluggish while playing.
    Also, I'm sure it's been mentioned before but how about adding some mythical creatures? Like dragons and demons in the cave. Yetis, Nessie?

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hmmm, I had to switch out some unsupported system calls, but maybe i can out them in again for > iOS 8.3 .

Yes, it's coming! Some of the models are already done, just need to put them in!

20. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    It performs great on the 6S+, but I've not tried it on the Air 2 running iOS 9. I will give it a shot when I get home from work tonight.

Thanks for the quick fix on the menus!

bp