Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Yeah, the bigger screen size really makes a difference I think. I can fully enjoy Fugl on my iPhone 6 as well... :)

Good to know that you like to go after the animals, as it's can be expanded upon. Marco has made some special, rare animals that you will have to seek out, but I haven't put them in the game yet. Maybe that can make the pursuit even more worhwhile. Regarding dinasaurs, I think it's a great idea, but I'm a little afraid on how to move them properly without them clipping into the terrain, but that can be solved. I'm sure Marco are up for the challange! Jurassic Land is anyways a very good idea!

Ok, that's great feedback, I would love to keep the game as open ended as possible while at the same time giving people goals etc, so there is a reason to come back again and again... :)

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you, more updates are coming soon! :)

3. SamTheMadRabbit

SamTheMadRabbit Active Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I really, really like Fugl, and I'm totally in love with the new control scheme, but camera controls are killing me. Can we have an "invert camera controls" option? Please? Pretty please?

4. Sr.Watson

Sr.Watson New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Stockholm / barcelona
    All animals unlocked/hunted :D

I attach a capture.
    Water animals are the hardest.
    With whales/dolphins it is hard to tell if you really touched them or not. I guess the litle cloud is not visible due to speed when flying fast.

Optional improvement: Make the animal bigger in the animal's board if you touch one of them.

An other option improvement could be that when the player hunts let's say 80% of the animals, that would unlock a new group of animals to be hunted.

I love this game.
    Looking forward to see how it evolves.

Attached Files:

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, of course! I just need to split the options screen first, cause I've run out of space!

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Congrats!

Yeah, I'll fix that. I also plan to make the them jump in a little more predictable manner, they will follow a path.

Yeah, I'm planning to, maybe even an info screen. I also plan to divide them up depending on biome, so you'll just see the animals present in the current biome. It will become necessary when I start adding more levels...

Good idea! At least we have some rare animals that we haven't decided on when to put in, so that might work...

Thanks! A lot of under the hood improvements going on this week. I'm trying to move the graphics code over to Metal from OpenGL. The progress is good, but it's a big task!

7. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Wow impressive Sr. Watson! Great animal collection! We have a lot more animals coming up.

I like the making animals bigger idea, perhaps by holding your finger on it, maybe with the addition of more animals we can scroll up and down the list.

8. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    How do you guys like perching?

Attached Files:

9. jaysraptors_to

jaysraptors_to Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2014
    I would love an option to increase the speed of the bird (fugl?) like make it faster or slower. Mostly faster though.

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Did you max out the gravity-setting, cause that will make the bird go faster for sure! :)

11. jaysraptors_to

Apr 27, 2014
    Just tried this, it's awesome thank you!

12. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    It's been a while!

So, I've been reading up on posts since I last posted 3.5 weeks ago. I am so happy to see the distinct colored voxels and non-blurry water back! I got word soon enough it was coming back, but I've been traveling and working odd hours and engaged in a lot of retro computing projects at night, so I've been sadly silent. I've been playing when I can though!

So, I'm trying to decide what I think about the control changes. The more realistic bird took some getting used to (I was pretty used to the original), and the wiggle zone of the bird model might play with my spacial gauging when close to a surface, slightly. I think I will get used to it.

So, there are touch controls for steer with both fingers, left, and right. The former is like the old control method, but one of the fingers' surface contact gauges the speed of flapping, yes? Is there a way to tilt the bird (rotate 90 deg say) sideways using left or right finger mode? I don't see a way.

The speed of bird / connection of visual wing flap rate to speed / and soaring distance (much shorter than before) are, together, things I'm not used to. I am crashing into things a bit more now, as I'm not yet used to that various changes along these lines. Things feel a little slower than before as far as max rate of speed. I think moving to max gravity helps, but does this also greatly reduce soaring? (And I'm the guy that kept whining about soaring distance being too long!) Can you explain what happens behind the scene when going at min and max "gravity?" Surely there are several variables tied to this one slider, I'm curious how that breaks down.

Also, there are no more caves in the Canyon biome, correct? I can't find any in my current terrain gen. I miss those. I prefered the cave flying in Canyon over Polar. Is the though that having caves in both makes them too similar? I would vote for caves back in Canyon.

I still _love_ the game, but I need to spend more time with it to get used to what feels a notable change to the "feel" of flying. Not trying to call myself a super powered person or anything - but I am extremely sensitive to changes and subtle adjustments, so this is surely affecting me more than most other people. :)

Oh, and parchingggggg is awesome! I've wanted that for a long time!

I can't wait to see you profit from all of this effort, in the end. Thanks for Fugl.

bp

13. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Well, the dev has spent so much time and effort trying to keep this on the 'upcoming', and for SO long, ( a full year!), he's actually made it tougher on himself to live up to if/when it finally does get done! I just hope after all this hype the game turns out to be really good for everyone's sake!;)

14. jaysraptors_to

Apr 27, 2014
    Can you make an option where the bird automatically flaps its wings and to make it glide you hold the left side of the screen. (Opposite of what it is now) can you make this a toggle so those who like the original can use the original and those who like like this idea can use this option?

15. Aravon17

Aravon17 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Love the perching!... So much so that this app is permanently "Perched" on my Home page on my iPod6!!!

16. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Actually, the more I use the right finger control (left flap) the more I like that new control method. It works quite well, but I guess you can't rotate during turns there, correct?

It's pretty good - liking!

bp

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yeah, I saw a picture on twitter from your retro computer setup (for a magazine shoot?). Very impressive!

When you say "wiggle zone", do you mean the total movement of the bird in 2D on the screen, or just the up and down motion? Anyways, I'm constantly tuning those. I like a little wiggle room as it adds a bit of feeling, but too much as you say and it impers the spacial gauging.

There is no roll with one finger control, has that was the whole point of it actually. It's just a simplification. Also when in two finger mode, the largest surface contact will determine the speed.

Actually there is only one variable now, and that is gravity. The rest stays the same. Gravity will of course accellerate the bird more quickly and it might make the bird stall out a little bit earlier, but the stall speed is the same on all settings, it's just that gravity can kill speed much quicker though.

I'm not satisfied with the flap speed regarding actual speed, so I think I will speed it up again. I'm also getting ready to build the custom bid screen, as I think people could find it fun to play with the variables themselves. The variables are (from the top of my head): Gravity, soaring length, stall speed, turn speed, flapping frequency/amplitude, flapping force. They would all be tied with the physical appearance of the bird, so the larger bird the more gravity, the smaller crossection of the wings, the longer soaring etc.

No, I didn't remove them, but I had to completely redo the terrain-gen when the levels got square, but I'll tune the caves back in again, hadn't noticed actually. I do most of my testing in the tropical biome for some kind of reason, it probably got something to do with me living in Norway, haha.

I think most of what you percive is changes in the feel is actually the camera, because I haven't changed the flight dynamics at all (except dialed down the soaring length), So in addition to the bird customization screen, I could make a screen for camera control.

Good to hear that! :)

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe :D

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    You still think the max speed is to low? ;)

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Believe it or not, my main reson for having this thread is not building hype (that's what twitter is for), but finding dedicated iOS gamers that can help me make this game something special. :)