Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, there is room for 600 more! I'll send you an invite though TestFlight when the update goes live (hopefully later today). Others that want to test: Just send me an email: [email protected]!

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Happy you like it! :)

The old levels were 256x128x4096 voxels, looping in the x-direction, new ones are an even 1024x128x1024 voxels, repeating in both directions. Viewing distance is 224 voxel (a little less because of fog). I'm very happy with this design as it makes it much easier to put in distinct features and interesting custom designed content (Marco!). Also it opens up for a natural progression where you would do something to unlock the next level. We'll try some different things... :)

Great, looking forward to your impressions, as always! :)

3. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I didn't get the new update.#
    What went wrong?

4. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    No worries, I have two group of testers. First ones are using direct install via a website, second group is using Testflight. Major revisions in Testflight needs Apple approval, usually takes a day. So, in other words: The testflight update should go live later today (after 3pm sometime), and you'll get notified via email and the Testflight app itself!

5. Aravon17

Aravon17 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Can't wait to give it a "test flight"!!!

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #1046 gjestland, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    It's in review now, should go live any moment! :)

EDIT: It's live!!!!

7. Aravon17

Aravon17 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2014
    #1047 Aravon17, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    It's wonderful! Love the new clouds, shadows, and more forgiving hitbox for the ever fun NOE (nap of the earth) flying!

Superb update!

The water in the Atolls and Tropical biomes is gorgeous!!! Don't remember it looking that good!

Also really fun being able to submerge my bird in the water and still fly back out! Would be cool to catch fish like that in a future update! Maybe it could offer you more soaring strength for a short duration as a reward for catching and consuming fish!???

You are really creating a mobile gem here!!! :eek:

8. DantBro18

DantBro18 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Do I have to send an email with my UDID again? I haven't got an email.

9. stinkatron5000

Mar 23, 2015
    Echoing others, I love the new update and the added partical effects, clouds and shadows really bring the tropical and atoll biomes to life!

I can't work out if the bird feels easier to control or I'm getting better but the movement certainly feels smoother and the more forgiving hitbox is really appreciated.

I've only noticed one glitch where I think I was touching the top right side of the screen after I crashed and was waiting for the main menu to appear and this cause the menu to scroll through the biomes without prompt. It only happened the once and didn't cause any crashes.

I'm not sure if it's worth reducing the frequency at which the fish jump in the atoll biome but it did look like I was being carpet bombed at one point #.

This is such a fantastic piece of software without the gameplay elements so I can't wait to see where you are going to take this next.

Stinks

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    If you did send me your udid, you need to go to the website to download. If you want email notification, you need to sign up for testflight by sending me sn email: [email protected]!

11. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I love the new version. I know you were looking for gameplay ideas many many pages back and I should probably read through but playing it last night reminded me of something I was working on some years ago. The idea was supposed to be a super-simple game that would use the PS3's 'six axis' tilt controller to steer a paper plane. The only way to get a boost was to fly through a 'gate' and the idea was that each day the player would start in a randomly selected place on one of the levels, chain as many gates together as possible and then 'bank' the flight by hitting a target. We also had all sorts of plans for recording these flights and downloading today's from a server so the sky would be full of other ghost paper planes. The idea would work so much better in a game with generated levels which is why I bring it up.

Here is a video of the PC version running via a Wiimote, which basically has the same accelerometer as a PS3 sixaxis and of course every iOS device ever made.

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.8.5 is out!

- Bugfixes regarding water crashes
    - Switched terrain smoothing to gaussian
    - Added "feathers" to bird and adjusted animation
    - Minor adjustments to some biomes
    - Added artist created content to atolls
    - Adjusted random colors for bird
    - Last seen random colors is starting point for color customization

13. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Squeezing through some tight spaces lol

[​IMG]

14. DantBro18

Aug 20, 2012
    For me it seems the bird is always flying at like a 60 degree angle, even at very low speeds. Is there any way to stop this? I recall a while back you said that you put in this feature so people wouldn't fly at extreme speeds, even when flying in the opposite direction to the angle the bird never levels out, therefore I can't fly flat on the ocean for example.

15. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    There is auto-level option that allows you choose whether to automatically level with the horizon or not, it's one of the options in the option menu.

Is this what you were referring to?

16. DantBro18

Aug 20, 2012
    Ok thanks, that seemed to be the problem, I must have been messing around with the settings and turned it off, as I remember that it was on by default but I didn't know what it did.

17. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    No worries! Yeah it was just introduced after a while of not having it.

18. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    I just wanted to say, I have beta tested this game, and it is gorgeous! The visuals are very nice, and the game is silky smooth. It's a nice relaxing game where I can explore the terrain. :) Keep it up!!

19. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks so much! Glad you've enjoyed the experience! We've got some more biomes planned and a game mode to promote exploration.

20. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Sent an email to ya so I can help test this! Testflight ready!