Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks, great to hear!

The controls been throught countless iteration, but thanks to the people in this forum, I think we got it pretty much nailed down now! :)

Yes, my last game Melodive had tilt controls, but as you say, you kind of look like a dork playing it. Also it's unplayable on moving vehichles!

Music is coming, but can you tell me why you thought the other birds didn't fit in? Is it the blocky animation? I can't make all the birds with same setup as the player bird because of the complexity of it unfortuneately..

I'm very happy you feel that way! :)

That's excactly what I'm doing for the next version, haha! Stay tuned for the update!

Thank you so much for providing feedback, great that you like it so far! :)

2. Krellzar

Krellzar New Member

Aug 10, 2015
    The animations are a little odd for the birds. They are a little too uncontrolled for these creatures and would fit flies or butterflies better. Also I saw different types of birds, that weren't coherent to each other or the world.
    It's nice that you have creatures in the game, since it adds life to the environment, but I think those creatures should fit better to the world. If it's not possible to make the animations better, maybe make them into colored butterflies, mosquitos or something like this. Birds like to eat insects, right :)

Haha, seriously. Well, obviously I think that's a great idea :) I'm really looking forward to see what comes out of it! Good luck with the work. Tell me if there is anything you need

3. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I think the reason the flying birds would seem out control is because of the low number of frames the animations have,the more frames the smoother it gets but also the lower amount of animals at one time, it's a fine balance between quality versus quantity. Insects do move their wings a lot faster than birds and I believe we'll have some at some point :) but having the birds replaced by insects could take away from the scale we intend the world to have (large).

We could always add more frames to make the animations smoother, but we prioritize a buttery smooth experience (60fps) most of all, as we get to the polishing stage we might try it out as we still have quite a bit to add to the game still (clouds, more animals, a variety of hazarsd, etc.. )

Thanks so much for your input Krellzar! thanks for the insect idea, i might try some :D

4. Krellzar

Krellzar New Member

Aug 10, 2015
    Ah, yeah I can really see that it's a good idea to still make the world seem large. So insects might make the world seem a bit smaller.
    Anyways, in the choice between quality and quantity I would definitely go for quality. I don't think you need that many birds to give the world a lively feeling. You can also supplement with some particles, and more clouds as you are saying.

Also I think it's great that you keep it buttery smooth :) It would ruin the flying sensation if it wasn't.
    It's just a shame that it doesn't work for less than 64 bit devices.

5. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Yeah I'm looking forward for particles of some sort as well. I'll keep the addition of frames in mind, every bird currently has 4 frames and 1 neutral frame, I could add 2 inbetween frames. Currently working on collectibles for the coming portals, very excited to put them in-game :3

I agree with quality over quantity for sure ;)

6. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Almost 1000 posts guys! Wow we've come a long way! Thanks for sticking with us :D

7. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    "Soaring is the best part to me, but I would like if the soaring lasted a bit longer. I don't know if it varies dynamically compared to how long you've flapped or if it's a set value each time you get up to speed and soar again, but It just seemed like each time I was really enjoying the soar streak I was on, i had to flap again.
    This is a hard balance, so i'm still tweeking it."
    I must say that I think the soaring is at the maximum of how "soar-ey" it should be. I love soaring, but have made many comments before (and they've resulted in adjustments often, thanks!) that in my opinion realism drops when you can soar for huge distances without a flap. The current model allows soaring a little too far in my opinion, but I like it well enough. And, I feel like my preference on this differs from Johan's here.

All that said, I love where the game is, but had to urge not to increase the soar distance! No offense, HoyHoy!

Still loving this game.

8. stillchrisconley

stillchrisconley New Member

Aug 9, 2015
    marketing and web dev
    USA
    three game play ideas:
    1. add collections to the game where, if you see it or maybe touch it, you collect it. Then you can view your collection to see like a trading card of the object. and you can interact with the object spin it in 3D and it has a funny description - kind of like what they did in the game katamari. You could then share collected items on social media. see example below

2. In game purchase: camera. It would be cool, and I would for sure pay in-game money, to buy a virtual camera. Basically you give the user the option to pause at any moment, pan around, and take a picture that can then be saved or shared to social media.

3. Nest and/or bird houses - what if one goal was to find your birds nest or birds house in each biome. The nest or house might act like a save point and maybe a place to save/view/ or share your collection items. Also some might like customizing their next or house.

Attached Files:

9. DantBro18

DantBro18 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    I seriously hope you're joking about all of these.

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Yep, I'm sorry to say it but those are really bad ideas. #3 might not be bad to find a nest because that wouldn't mess with the presentation.

11. jdawg101

jdawg101 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2015
    The camera idea sound cool at times but should be free.

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I agree with you, it's at the max now for sure.

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    We're adding some rare mythological creatures to the game that can be collected like you say.

There will be no in-game shops or coins, but I like this camera idea! :) Some kind of social media integration is a must these days, but it needs to be done right. Gif-export would be the coolest though as the internet seems to those the best! :)

I'm want to make landings a reality, haven't really given much thoughts to nests though, interesting...

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I think he meant to buy in an in-game shop for in-game currency. But you're right, no use in unlocking it, it should be there from the start. Also, just so everything is clear, Fugl is going to be premium with any IAP whatsoever! :)

15. jdawg101

jdawg101 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2015
    How much will it cost and the gif thing is it going to be like that firewhip game.

16. cadillackills

cadillackills Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    #996 cadillackills, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015

First off create my own whatever and just knowing it's perfect for me how it stands is enough for a smile. Second "how does a bird swim?" Is an almost philosophical question coming from a video game thread.

I'd say I can't wait but I kind of can, I'd pay now just for the test flight, but new ideas are better.

17. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Some of the Flowers to be found around the Biomes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Evidence!

[​IMG]

Yeah, I'd love to create my own world as well. So glad you're enjoying Fugl Cadillackills! :D

19. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Purple Lily! Maybe for the Canyon? What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

20. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Jus curious - will this be on pc as well later on?