Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe, great to hear, it turned out pretty well, I love to fly thru the palms! There is more animals coming like crabs and turtles.

I had to reduce the top bird speed because of the double with (more terrain to tesselate), but I'm switching back to the old width because sometimes you just want to really fast!

I have a gameplay mechanic experiement planned that will include both high and low speeds.

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks! Good to have you back and that you're enjoying yourself. There was a need for a higher iteration frequency before the flight model was finalized, now it will be once a week ca.

3. noethis

noethis Member

May 21, 2015
    Been playing the newest version a bit every night--good stuff! Really loving flying through the tropical and the canyon biomes. Agree with others, bird speed feels a bit slow now so it's good to hear you might be reverting back.

Misc feedback:

-I've been pretty content not having any in-game goals/objectives but if you *are* planning on having them I think it could be pretty interesting if you're a bird of prey, hunting the various animals/fish. Depending on how far down that path you wanted to go you could even have a homebase nest you bring the food to/etc. :)

-Sorta related to the above, sometimes I kind of want to just perch on a high spot and look around.

-animals and specifically sea life (dolphins, etc) are too frequent now. Gets a bit ridiculous with how many fish I see jumping out of the water at a given time and makes it less of a special "did you see that!" moment.

-had one time where I flew out into the "ocean" and just kept flying with no land ever showing up

-have had it crash a couple times - seemed to always be flying over the caves biome

RE: Colors/Minecraft feeling - I'm not really an artist so take my comments here with a grain of salt. :) It just feels like there could be more constraints in the color palette and the colors used could maybe be more interesting. Thinking of games like No Man's Sky, Journey, Proteus. For example, Proteus has this pretty unique look to it and a large part of that is it's sorta whimsical Easter color palette.

4. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for getting back to me! The game should have a mix between going really slow and really fast, imo. I have a gameplay mechanic I'm trying out in the next update that will provide just that. Hopefully it willl be fun!

Hunting was the original idea, but after testing it out, it was deemed to difficul/frustrating/not fun. I haven't completely abandoned the idea, but for now I will try out some other stuff. A nest or nests could work in some capacity, like a bank, or something like that, haven't really thought about it, but it's a good idea. I'm thinking the game is like a journey, you travel trough progressingly harder biomes to some kind of endgoal.

Yes, you're not the first to request it. I will absolutely try to make that happen, but it's not my top priorty for the moment. First I'm finisishing up the terrain while trying different gameplay mechanics and then I'll come back to all other stuff that needs work, like the animal movements.

Yes, I agree. All animal movement is very work in progress, barely functioning. My focus have been on the terrain and flight model.

Yes, that is expcected. The game will only generate the five biomes and if you go further than that, or back, you'll just fly over the ocean. I will fix this later.

Yes, it was the ice biome, it has been fixed for the next update (should be out later tonight if all goes well).

I think you have a good point and this is absolutely something we strive for. Marco, the artist, is very particular about the colors, but I've been overruling him in a few biomes because of how I've made the colors uptil now (not so easy to tweek). It's only the canyon that is pretty much finished color-wise, so use that as an indication on how things will be. Our wish is to make each biome as distinct as possible from the others. We will surely work much more on the color palettes before release. If you have any special eye-sores, please tell me, it's valuable feedback!

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.7.1 is out!

New stuff:
    - Back to the old width (and length), but keeping all the optimizations I did, so Fugl runs smoother than ever!
    - Back to old speed settings.
    - New arcade-mode: Stay close to the ground to gain speed and boost (find it under game modes in options).
    - Tweeked all biomes a bit, especially the cave (again!)
    - Fixed polar biome bug that would crash the game in 0.7.0.
    - Resume position from where you left off if you quit the game (stay in your favorite biome!).
    - Fixed wobbly tail.
    - Reduced number of dolphins and orcas.

Next up: Desert and jungle biome!

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Testflight

I'm happy to announce that Apple has approved Fugl 0.7.1 for distribution though their Testflight service. So if you read this and want to try Fugl out, send me your email to [email protected], and I'll send you an invite! 998 spots left!

7. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    Sent you An email :):)

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Great, 995 spots left. If there is any of the current alpha testers who wants to switch to testflight, you're more than welcome. It was only a few hours delay for the review, so it wasn't as bad as I thought.

9. CRAYTATO

CRAYTATO Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Just peeked at a preview video of this game, I am immensely intrigued! Sending out an email for beta testing :)

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Invitation sent! Please beware all potential testers that Fugl currently only works on A7 & A8 devices. That means iPhone5S, iPhone6, iPhone6+, iPad Air 1 & 2, iPad mini2 & 3.

11. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Yes! Mail sent!

Pedroapan

12. Chutch20

Chutch20 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2015
    When is this game going to be released I'm looking foward to it

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm not sure, hopefully by the end of august. You can join the testflight in the meantime: send me an email to [email protected].

14. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Kangaroo, the biggest marsupial in the world comes to make the desert his home :)

[​IMG]

15. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Crocodile infested Jungle maybe? :O

[​IMG]

16. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    haha, awesome job Marko! moving towards an australian theme? :D And very nice that i can continue to test fugl hopefully without testflight!

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.7.3 is out!

No big changes, I just tweeked the arcade-mode a bit, so you only boost when flapping.

18. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks brother! We were brainstorming for a jumping animal for the desert biome, Australian theme wouldn't be too bad actually.

Currently working on a dragon animation for the volcanic biome. Stay tuned :D

19. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    :O please please put some super focus on the dragon as you (i like to call Team FUGL) could make a dragon simulator later on, johan has already said it's a great idea :)

20. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I'm running 0.7.2 and loving the new biome and the model feels pretty solid, but I wanted to ask...

Why back to 256 voxels wide, twice length? Performance? I hadn't noticed any diff, but granted I am on an iPad Air 2 primarily. What's the plan here, if you don't mind sharing?

Not sure I like the smoke trails on all the time on the wings, and I don't detect speed boost near ground...

bp