Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    This is fixed for good now, check out 0.6.8b that I just uploaded! On a sidenote, it's funny how I started out with a fligh model that I thought was pretty realistic or at least the basic math was sound, and I end up with a model that's more and more hack-y. Whatever works I guess, it's all about the feeling!

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.6.8c is out!

Hi, I uploaded a new build (0.6.8c)
    - adjusted drag (to inbetween 0.6.8a & b)
    - relaxed camera a bit
    - tweeked bird animation
    - made back of the wing a part of the physics system like the tail to give it more life (rustling feathers)

3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    very nice! and i like the surprise after you get the collectible (and not crash :D )

4. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    When I zoom along and then coast in level fling the wings wobble notably after the flapping stops. Is that what you mean in the last point? It feels a little strange to me. I notice if I flap and then dive hard and level and coast, I don't see that wing wobble, fwiw.

bp

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It was an experiement gone horribly wrong, QA (Marco) stopped it! So I've uploaded a new build (0.6.8d) with normal wings. :)

6. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Hah, yea. I think the bird (and thus the environment) wobbled with the wings. Wasn't pleasant. :)

bp

7. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Much better. :)

I notice the sensitivity and bird speed sliders are defaulting to different < 50% settings. Is that your sweet spot setting you want us to feel out?

bp

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It shouldn't do that unless you do a fresh install. It's for first-timers. I feel it's good for them with a little lower speed and sensitivity to ease them into the flying, so they don't get a total shock! For experienced user I would say go for between 50 % and 100 % speed depending on your preference and the sensitivity should be as high as you feel is comfortable, it varies a bit from device to device, but at least 50 % I would think, probably higher...

9. noethis

noethis Member

May 21, 2015
    First time I've seen this but it looks pretty amazing! Flying games for the sake of flying are under appreciated.

10. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    this!

11. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Ah. Many versions ago you suggested for the new version we delete the old one before installing new. Since then I have been doing that, so a fresh install each time. Not necessary?

12. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Well, my opinion on how far the bird should be able to soar down to a stop may not be the best one. To me it feels better to have the mechanics such that the bird can soar for 4-5 x 256 voxels as opposed to 13, but your notion is probably the better one, given that you are closest to the game and are trying things we're not even seeing in between builds.

(I know you have added drag since the comment I am responding to, I just never got around to commenting on that.)

13. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I strongly feel that double width and half length would feel too short. I think current width and current length fit the bill.

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks! I'm happy you feel that way... :)

BTW: Prune looks really cool judging by the beautiful trailer! I'm glad you were able to make a game out of it, I remember seeing a demo a bit back with just the core mechanic and I wondered how you would make a game out of it. Soon I'll see, good job! :)

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Not anymore, it will automatically regenerate the terrain for each version and keep your settings. Of course when I change up the options menu, I will reset all the variables. So only do a fresh install if you experience some kind of weirdness with the terrain (like solid walls).

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I will just have to try it out. If it's too short, I can always append two of the same biome after each other, it would probably work pretty good.

17. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I read the email point you made on this. Maybe based on what I saw and what you explained, 512 and half length is the way to go. I'm anxious to test it, if you try it out.

18. DantBro18

DantBro18 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Are there any plans for new biomes? I'd personally like to be able to fly past a few acres of farmland or low hills, even a sunflower field.

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, here is the prelimary list of planned biomes (in sequence):
    Desert
    Canyon
    Tropical islands
    Mountain
    Jungle
    Cave
    Volcanic
    Floating islands

We try to make each biome distinct from eachother and also topologically interesting (not flat in other words!).

But we haven't decided on a set list of biomes yet, we might expand it if there is some good ideas. We would like to keep it nature-like though, but fantasy is ok (like the floating islands).

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm reworking it now, and I think it's going to work out great! The doubling of the width really makes a huge difference, the biomes will feel more extensive actually, even though the length is shorter. This is because the looping doesn't even out the terrain as much as it did with only 256 voxels. I'm very optimistic... :)