Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe, I'm glad you approve. Finally we're arriving to a place where I can say that the flight model is nearing completion. Or at least I'm starting to be very happy with it... It's been a long journey, but thanks for being there testing within minutes of each release, it's been very helpful!

I didn't test it enough before releasing, so I never flew the cave. I've adjusted this now and uploaded a new version. Give it a spin!

I forgot to reduce the roll sensitivity for dual stick control schemes, it's fixed now. If it's not enough, I can introduce a null zone in the stick...

Thanks man! It's a slow process, but it's a great one. I'm so happy we're doing it in the open, I'm sure we'll get a much better game this way, so thanks again for sticking with us! :)

2. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap! Rolling sensitivity is great now, so no problems with the new flight model whatsoever! I do think we are getting near the ideal final model here!

However, while i did better in the cave, i think in its current state it's not comfortable to play in. In my opinion it needs bigger central spaces that branch into bigger corridors. Ideally (in my mind) the central spaces would be really big (like the batcave :D ), and the branches a bit bigger than they are now, so you can fly freely and explore the cave in the big spaces, while testing your maneuvers in the tighter corridors.

Did you give the cave a try? how does it feel to you? and what do you think about this cave model that i propose?

edit: by the way playing/testing Fugl is a pleasure as always guys :)

3. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Great! I agree, or at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! ;)

Yes, I agree! It needs more variation in any case. Let me see what I can come up with... :)

I'm happy you feel that way, better get your headphones ready, because finally sound is in the game (or the beginning of sound should I say). I'm hoping to release a version tonight...

4. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    #744 Marcoapc, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    Desert Biome reworked! Ruthless on foot but safe to fly through ;D.

Starting biome for beginners maybe?

Attached Files:

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #745 gjestland, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
    0.6.6 is out!

Hi everybody,

I'm happy to announce that Fugl alpha now has (some) sound!
    Also, I fixed native resolution on the iPhone6 plus.

Enjoy! :)

EDIT: Don't forget your headphones!!!

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
  7. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i dunno.. looks a bit like a wraith / ghost thing. While spectacular, i think it doesn't fit into the nature of this game's theme. Which in turn leads me to say i can't wait to see what more you do in the future with Fugl's engine :)

By the way, that "crack" when you crashed made me wince :)

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for the input! I like that you're so fond of the theme... :)

What did you think of the prelimenary soundscape? The sounds are very placeholder-y for the moment, but at least it's a start!

9. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.6.7 is out!

0.6.7 is out, and it's got some new stuff:
    1) More sounds, not the final ones, but only to get a feel for it... The soundscape is very much a work in progress.
    2) Experimental model is now the normal model, no new experimental model for the time being... :)
    3) New bird speed model instead of air resistance. Makes more sense as it controls more parameters at once, easier to adjust for beginners and experts alike.
    4) Experiemtal placement of collectibles (look for the spinning logo). Is it any fun to collect?
    5) Reworked cave a bit (more bigger spaces inbetween narrow tunnels).
    6) Pre-caching of terrain, so you don't see it tesselate when starting the game.
    7) Re-generate terrain button added in options menu
    8) Penguins are back!

PS. if you experience mini-stutters, try re-booting your device and see if that helps...

10. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    ah, i feel a bit sad not to see the others giving feedback, but then it was such a great week with new releases, maybe they got absorbed :)

For this build,
    1) i couldn't find the collectible
    2) i like the sound except the crashing sound, it really makes me feel like i killed the poor fugl, maybe try something softer? like a bump sound?
    3) the cave is really problematic to play in, or maybe my generated caves suck, they are full of tiny corridors and no big spaces at all.

and i really like this flight model!

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yeah, well, that's life... :) At least you are still here!

Added more!

Yes, I agree, it's coming tomorrrow!

I've reworked it and uploaded a new version of 0.6.7. It also has some bug-fixes regarding the terrain regeneration.

12. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    the game is very hard for me, i'm dying faster than ever in 0.6.5 (standard model). will d/l the latest. could there be a "kiddie" mode for the dextrally challenged?

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, but download the latest version (0.6.7): I've made a bird speed slider in the options menu. Try to set it to minimum and tell me what you think? I coud lower the speed even more!

14. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Ok, I've been away more than I wanted to be over the past week and a half due to back to back trips across the country. More settled, now. Sorry for the lack of comments and rather than slow this down by going in order, etc. I am just going to throw out opinions all willy-nilly here. :)

Running the latest, 0.6.7.

I love the latest flight model. I've not jiggled about with speed slider, but the default feels great. Feels a little faster than before in default, but that's ok with me, as I'm pretty good at keeping the bird in the air after all this time. :)

I hope you let the smoke / trails / phantom effect be an option. I think a more translucent (less pronounced) effect would be lovely. I would use it often.

The biome-specific colored fog is awesome! It adds so much to the overall atmosphere. This was was a huge improvement that I didn't realize was really missing, before seeing it.

The sounds are great so far. The wind noise and swishes as one flies close to an object really makes a difference. (I don't have to make those with my mouth anymore. :) ) One of the things that impressed me about Wipeout on the early PSX was that it would lay down an echo effect on audio while you were in a tunnel. That would be a great effect to have if flying through the cave biome and the longer tunnels of the arctic biome. Current sound is an impressive first pass at atmospheric sound, I must say.

I do find it easier to navigate through the caves with the expansion of the larger spaces. Ever since the colors of the cave were reworked, I kind of miss there being green light in there. I wonder if there's room for a few green glowing mushrooms?

Did you reduce the saturation / vibrancy of the forest biome trees recently?

One is less likely to fly perpendicular to the sun route and see noted, perfect 256 voxel repetition in the three newer biomes than in canyon, it seems, due to the way they're put together, I suppose. This makes concerns of the world width a non-issue in my mind. The biomes really do feel expansive. And I don't think you'd want them much larger in length towards the sun, lest one see too little of each biome. If one wants to cruise around in one biome in a non-direct run to the sun, one has plenty of space to do it.

I want to try and lend contribution to what might make good game goals, but I've really not offered much in that regard so far. I will say that I think goals / missions are important to most gamers as there are fewer of us that are just interested in the flight experience. I do hope there is a free-flight sort of mode in the end that lets people like me just do that forever, as that's probably going to be the most appealing slice of the game to me, whatever missions make it in.

I've not found the collectible yet. :)

So there are some thoughts. More soon.

Good to be back!

bp

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.6.8 is out!

I've been a bit busy lately with other stuff (like our national day, it's a big deal here in Norway), but I've managed to do some small improvements:
    - Reworked camera
    - Tweeked bird proportions and animation
    - Increased max turning speed
    - Tweeked placement of collectibles... Look for the spinning logo, they're always close to the terrain.

I'm hoping to add more sounds tonight/tomorrow and then start doing some more biomes. I'm thinking desert and jungle is next up!

16. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Nice - grabbed it.

One thing I noticed, and this is prob not new in 0.6.8, but somewhere recent. I started flying perpendicular to the sun route and went max speed, low, and just coasted. I made it 13.5 times around the 256 voxel wide width of the biome at default. That seems like a bit long a coast distance for default.

bp

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #757 gjestland, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
    Good to have you back, Blake! :)

Hehe, you should try it out, for testing purposes. I'm wondering if the bird should go even slower at the slowest setting, also is fastest total overkill?

It's a pretty cool effect, it needs some more work though, but if it doesn't conflict with the other particles I'm putting it in somehow.

Ok good, much nicer things are coming. Each biome will have it's own specific atmosphere. I'm unsure of changing the reverb mid-game as it might be a discontinuity in the sound. Will need to investigate, but good idea...

I think we can work something out... The cave needs something more in any case, it's a bit monotone... Also it's really hard to fly in daylight, so it might need some more lightsources. Also the crystals still need a little bit of rework I think.

I changed the colors a bit, I might have reduced the saturation also, I don't remember... Did you like it better before?

Ok, good, the repetion issue won't be clear before most of the biomes are made I think. But could the biomes be half length and double width or would that be too short? I think they would, but it's hard to say.

Free roam will always be there, and any gameplay will have to fit what's already there. I'm sticking to the concept!

The collectibles are just a test, there are more of them now...

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe, you're so scientific, I love it! It needs a bit more drag probably... :)

19. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Yay, good to have Blake back! He's way more scientific and technical in his feedback than me :)
    For 0.68,

1) i think the camera should be placed a bit higher, since most of the time when i am flying straight, i am looking at fugl's underside. I think straight back or even a bit higher point of view, like it was in the previous version, was better.
    2) The increased turning speed made the flight model doubly awesome, it's perfect!
    3) can you add pixel explosions to the waterfalls? :)
    4) i have no idea how are yours and Blake's cave, but mine sucks. It's just a series of really big entry holes, going into really narrow tunnels into dead ends.
    5) i found the collectibles! But most of the time they are so close to the ground that i crash right after the grab...

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I've uploaded a new build (0.6.8b) based on the feedback from you and Blake.

I moved it a bit up again!

It's on my list!

Try deleting and re-installing, or select regenerate from options menu after you download 0.6.8b and tell me if it's any better?

Kind of fixed that... I put in a suprise in case you managed to catch one!