Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece

Yayyyy! Congratulations man, you and your team deserve it! Now fugl can SOAR amidst the gaming skies :)

As for the time of release, i am afraid i have no solid input there except: from personal experience, the best time to get a game would be just before the summer holidays. If you release it DURING the holidays, you cut off people without access to internet/ methods of paying etc, and if you release it after, school/ jobs are starting again and everyone is in a bit of a panic.. so, tldr, i'd say go for before the summer holidays begin!

As for the game, how do i change biomes? I didn't comment on the last build because every time i start, i am playing the mountain biome... help? :D

2. Adr0ns_SvK

Adr0ns_SvK New Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Farmaceut
    Slovakia
    Fugl

Very good game. You can add multiplayer ;)

possitives :
    + pretty pixel-art style
    + unlimited world (map generator)
    + many types of biomes
    + bird customizing

negatives :
    - works only on A7/A8 devices (i know, its only on alpha stage and the world generator may be lags on A6 and down devices but i own iphone 5s (A7 device) so i can try it :D

3. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    I loved going after fish and I really good fly very close to the water, causing some small waves (me likes it :D ). I will continue to play it during the week-end and will post some impressions.

4. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks! I'd like to keep it a unique experience and not dumb it down with the usual mobile game mechanics... Altough I seriously considered adding hats, as I got a youtube-reply on my first video: "Shit game, no hats!". :D The hat would of course fly off immediately!

I think that is pretty solid advice, thanks, I'm aiming for a pre-holiday release then.

It cycles automatically, so that is very strange indeed. Have you tried re-installing? Each biome is pretty long though, so you need to follow the sun. Also you need some free space on your device (at least 100 mb, but preferably 1gb). The first biome should be canyon, then mountain and finally polar.

5. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Many congratulations, Johan! I am thrilled for you and for the iOS gaming community who are now guaranteed to experience this work fully realized. I am sure those deciding upon your grant viewed Fugl largely as an work of art - I don't think it's hard to see that it's a unique experience.

For what it's worth, I very much agree that a rich soundscape is more important and a higher priority than a straight-up musical soundtrack. Maybe an actual soundtrack behind the effects you speak of doesn't even make much sense. I don't have much experience with 3D Audio (as served out of a L and R channel only), and am interested to see how that meshes in. If convincing, it could be a deep extension of the experience.

I am enjoying both of the new biomes. As for sprucing up the mountain biome, perhaps new uses of water is the key. Small lakes or ponds atop mountains, a wider-than-the-waterfalls river of sorts running down the slope of the mountains, varying waterfall thickness?

The polar biome has some impressively longer caves -- I assume that's not coincidence. And I can't personally help but be thrown back to my days following Apple events and using the new hardware in 1999. The bondi blue iMac and blueberry color of the Power Mac G3 jump right out at me!

( My old setup: https://www.flickr.com/photos/blakespot/2378249113/in/set-72157604337980863 :) )

bp

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    \:D/ Congratulations on the grant! \:D/

7. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i still can't see the new biomes! I tried : 1)crashing onto a rock and starting over 2) closing the app and restarting 3) uninstalling the app and reinstalling. Still can't see anything new, just the biome with the arches and the river and the fish...

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Is there faded yellow grass on top of the canyon? If not you have an old version. We'll get to the bottom of this, don't worry! :)

9. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you! I think they see the art behind it, but the coverage here and in Pocketgamer also made a big impression. I was so bold to use one of your tweets and that really impressed them I think since you're the co-founder of this site. Every little thing helps I guess, but I'm starting to understand the format of the pitch and what they are looking for. Originality and artistic ambitions are of course a big plus. You can read about the announcement here (though google translate).
    https://translate.google.no/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nfi.no%2Fbransje%2Ftildelinger%2Ftilskudd%3Fkey%3D139281&edit-text=

I'm also starting to wonder if a soundtrack makes much sense... Maybe in one of the more gamey modes I'm planning, but maybe not in freefligt. I imagine people like to use their own music, at least it was that with Melodive. The 3D sound works pretty ok, if the pitch is high enough it's easy for the mind to place it in 3d space based on the delay/volume of the speakers.

I had that originally, but I had to cut it because of bugs. But I've fixed it now, so I've included it. I also removed the central valley and added an old erosion algorithm I had lying around to make natural valleys. Works pretty well, just needs some brushing up. Also considering changing the trees out for a more pine-y look. Should have something finished by tomorrow noonish.

Hehe, I also had one of those... I've reduced the saturation a bit, it was screaming in the eye, just like that machine, haha. The caves have more solid material to dig though so they get longer by themselves, but there is many more of them than in the canyon biome. That's the cool thing about the icebergs, they are pretty abstract from the beginning, a lot of leeway in re-recreating them without making it looking too crazy.

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you! Your smiley looks even cooler without the emoticon, haha.

11. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Yeap, i can see faded yellow patches of grass on the tops!

12. Ragno

Ragno Well-Known Member

Congratulations! :D

This game looks really awesome!

13. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Are you flying towards the sun, on and on? The biomes feel pretty large to me, it takes a little time to get from one to the other,

bp

14. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Thanks Blake! finally!! i was avoiding to fly in the fog from the previous versions, somehow i didn't get you had to fly through the fog to reach the next biome!

15. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    So i discovered the greener biome first, with the flowers and the green grass, and i was like, woo this is beautiful! And then i kept on and on through the fog and out came the ice caverns.. and my jaw dropped. Seriously, my mind began to spin from the beauty of it! I can only imagine how it will be when we get the complete experience with ambience, sounds, and -maybe- a soundtrack

I mean, wow! Fugl was already a beautiful experience, but after discovering the ice biome today... i feel sorry for the people who can't test it yet :D just.. WOW!

My only comment is, can you do something about the fog? it does seem too much, especially when i am flying fast. Make it less maybe? or use patches of fog? What do the other testers think about this, am i the only one who wants less fog ? :)

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #676 gjestland, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    0.6.2 is out!

New stuff:
    - Completely reworked the mountain biome, still some work to do with the water but it's starting to feel great
    - Adjusted the colors in the polar biome
    - Old experimental flight model is now default model
    - New experiemtal flight model (still work in progress)

The reason I'm still working on the flight model is that the current one has a big problem when diving down and pulling up strongly while flapping - you will be dragged down for some kind of reason... I can't figure it out, so I've been working on a different approach for a while. Please tell me what you think!

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Glad you liked it! I still have room in the alpha program, and hopefully soon I'll start beta-testing though testflight.

I can of course adjust it, but i thought the old fog from a few versions back (don't remember excactly) was too sudden, things would just pop into view. So I like this fog better as the new terrain appear more gradual. But i'll tweek it more before release, it's important to get just right!

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you! I would love to hear a fellow dev's opinion if you want to join the alpha program?... :)

19. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Firstly, the new model (it's the experimental in the settings, right?" is working good.
    As for why the dragging down is happening, i was playing diving and lifting trying to figure it out. And an idea came to me.

Birds, seagulls, bats etc can dive down, and not only fly back up with the momentum, but they can use that momentum to glide great distances in speed. Our Fugl can't do it. It feels like it's floating when not flapping its wings, not gliding, but floating.. what flies and floats but can't glide.. the butterfly!

In short, i think the problem is that our fugl controls more like a butterfly's wings, and less like a bird's wings. Is it in the structre, the lack of wing bones, the animation, all of those? The technical stuff i leave to you. But i do hope this gives you some help.

EDIT : Last but not least, i am not registered through testflight, could i still be in the beta via download?

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, that is the other problem... It's a matter of finding the right gravity and air resistance (drag). With less drag and more gravity the floaty feeling will disappear. It would be cool with a butterfly simulator though, but not this game, right? ;)

Don't worry, the download program will continue until release, as it's much quicker to upload a new binary than to submit to apple for review (takes 1-2 weeks)... i might not do a proper beta anyways, I'll just email everybody that signed up in the first place (about 70 people) and ask them to do some more testing.