Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Wow, cool! :) Thanks for being such a great "Fugl" evangelist, we really appreciate it!

2. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    It was a pain in the ass. iMovie v10 (current) won't export 60fps video - period. iMovie '11 (v9) will. I found an old copy of it and used it to re-edit the source videos. I guess Apple wants folks to buy Final Cut Pro. I don't need it enough to spend $300 on it. Annoying.

bp

3. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Wow it's so much better at 60fps, thanks a lot Blake! And thanks for making this videos, they are very inspiring for new obstacles and crevices.

It's such a big difference from 30fps to 60fps.

4. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #644 gjestland, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Fugl 0.6.0 is out!

It's been a long wait, but it's finally here: Fugl 0.6.0!

What's new:
    - Mountain biome
    - Persistant world written to disk (quicker reboot and play from where you left off).
    - New biome-specific animals: Frog, rabbit and bass
    - Tweeks to the camera (bird no longer goes off screen when speed is low)
    - Numerous bug fixes (shadow and tilt-controls among the most important ones)
    - Tweeks to the experimental flight model
    - Numerous other tweeks that I have already forgotten... ;)

I had to rewrite a lot of the engine to make this happen, but it's finished now, so in the future it will be much quicker making new biomes... This first one (mountain) is not so exciting, it's basically a more colorful reskin of the canyon, but it was pretty easy to make and it looks nice. The future biomes will be more challanging to fly though... Next up is either cave or polar, haven't decided yet...

I have also started work on the sound, hopefully I will have something there within the next few weeks...

Enjoy! :)

5. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    Awesome news, can't wait to give it a fly later today!

6. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I gave it a fly and it's good! I like the new animals, especially the fish! What i would like to note is that it seems the bird has more weight to drag it down this time, especially after the dive if you try to lift. I liked it how it was previously, now it feels like i am controlling a fast but heavier bird.

Also, i vote for polar biome next! I know it will be more challenging than the cave, but i could use a change of scenery from the browns and greens, to snow and ice and maybe crystals.. :)

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    If you like to fly very fast over the terrain and experience strangeness:
    1) delete and re-install
    2) make sure you have 1gb free space on your device
    3) start up fugl and wait for 7-8 minutes. The terrain will be all generated then. Make sure the device doesn't go into sleep.
    4) enjoy 131 km of terrain!

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I think you're right, I'll dial it back a bit towards the last version...

Snowcrystals? ;) Why choose? I can make both and then later work on adding the animals... The terrain it itself doesnt make much time to do now.

9. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    that's great to hear! as the weather is getting warmer, we can chill by gliding our fugl down the frozen mountains and crystal caverns.. :D

10. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    For some reason I only have version 5.2 available on my 5s. Have you changed the link to it or am I doing something wrong?

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    That is very strange. I just checked the webpage, it's there... Glemt.net/~fugl/

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm wondering if summer is a bad time to release or not. What do you think?

13. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    It finally showed up for me too. The bird thought it'd escape me, but it's too late. :D

14. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I love the new biomes colors and waterfalls - similar structure to the canyon biome but it really does have a rather different feel. I think it would enhance the experience to have the waterfall exert a strong downward force on the bird if you fly through one. Adding a little risk to the waterfall makes flying near them more of a satisfying thing, I think. Not saying to pin the bird to the floor, but to knock it down a couple of bird-sizes, vertically. My $.02, there.

As for the new (experimental) controls, I prefer the previous version's (experimental) model. I find that, at default settings, I can coast / drift much farther than before. It makes it feel something like the gravity in the game has been reduced. It's hard to describe. I tried at the two extremes of air resistance and neither end of the slider made things feel like it did before. I think the pervious version felt more like flying through air on earth, while this feel more like a lower gravity world and maybe a bird with more momentum? It's hard to describe.

Wanted to share.

bp

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.6.1 is out!
    - New biome: Polar (wip)
    - Old experimental mode is back
    - New animals: Duck, penguin and artic puffin

The penguins will of course not fly like this in final release, I just wanted to release this version as it is, because my work day is over and I wanted to share my progress! :)

16. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Anxious to try it. I see you switched the flight model back. I'm curious what you think about the feedback you got about 0.6.0's new experimental mode?

Tnx

bp

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Great idea, I'll surely implement it when I start to dig deeper into the wind-system... :)

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Good and clear feedback! I still want to keep experimenting as I'm not completely happy with it, but I'd rather work on biomes for now, so I just switched it back.

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    :D Looking forward to your impressions!

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Great news everybody!

I got the grant I applied for, they said I had the best presentation by far! :) Special thanks to ramzarules and blakespot, your input and dedication has been very valuable in securing this... Now I can pay Marco and the sound guy, I have already implemented the support for 3D audio (thanks to Karl Stenerud for his ObjectAL library!!), and started testing some sound files. I want to focus on the sound side first, music is not a big priority for me at this point, but a grand soundscape is.

Today I'm tuning the polar biome and also adjusting the mountain biome (I think it's too boring, but I'm open for input!). Hopefully I will also start work on the cave-biome.

I'm looking for input on how well the current scheme works with regards to biome length and cycling.