Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Cool! That would be great! :)

2. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Wow! it's almost like you made this update specially for me! i love going under arches and through all these holes! And tomorrow we might get the fish? can we touch them and explode them?

And as to what makes Fugl special, to me it's as close to a bird flight simulator as i can get. I have tried also Raven and Crow, but they are very different. Fugl blows them out of the water in flight dynamics and beauty. To me, Fugl is special because i get the feeling of flying free like a bird, with my own colors, in a beautiful world. It gives me a sense of freedom, with a mix of relaxation in the calm world and thrill when i can perform close maneuvers and dives.

3. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Also, while i am at, it, except a space shump game that you might try to adapt this to, what if you made a -hold on- DRAGON SIMULATOR???

Every so often i see a dragon simulator game that comes out, and each one is more horrible and emptier than the last. You grasp the flight dynamics, the world generation, so i believe you can do a real dragon simulator - you or the Shark Eaters devs are my best hopes. Maybe even collaborate? Of course i'll be happy to help test propose ideas etc...

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Glyder -> Glyder 2 -> How to Train Your Dragon: Flight of the Night Fury
    Fugl -> Glyder-type stuff -> DRAGON SIMULATOR!!! ;)

Sad thing is, I'm just happy enough to fly around in this thing. I want a Fugl screen-saver for my PC!

5. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #585 cerbo, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    games are contemporary art, fugl may be considered as a prime example. It is unique. so i'd suggest starting with the "ministry of arts and culture" or such.

edit: a finnish friend has confirmed my suspicion. the finnish government gave rovio almost 400k euros during 2005-2007.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Re: Grant money - non-violence, hand-eye coordination & spatial recognition might be some selling points.

That, and Voxels would make for some fantastic VR should you push the engine that way. You could just imagine being a bald eagle soaring up and down the Rogue river, searching for food...

[​IMG]

7. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)

Can you expand on what you mean in the last point? I started off and set the sensitivity to 60% and air resistance to 45% and starts flying. I quicky found difficulty in climbing up after getting near a stall. I then tried to get low and near stall and climb straight up but it was extremely slow, near impossible. I've adjusted the air resistance to 25% and it feels more like it did in the last ver, but it still feels somehow different.

At the 60% / 45% settings I was playing at, in 0.5.0, the is much slower in level flight than the last version. Is it the air resistance slier I must tweak to get to a similar feel as before? Thanks.

Arches are nifty!

bp

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hello all! 0.5.0b is out!

II couldn't resist, because the trees turned out pretty amazing (or they work really well in establishing a scale), so I uploaded a new build (it's still called 0.5.0). Please everybody, check it out! Also, if there is any performance issues, I need to know before I go on holiday... :)

9. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #589 gjestland, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    I have only reduced the flap-power a bit when there is low air resistance, too balance the speed, becuase otherwise the bird would go too fast. But I know about the problem, I think I can solve it with changing the pitch of the wings, but it takes too much time to test... In the meantime, I've uploaded a new build with experimental mode just like it was... Also beautiful trees! :)

It will help to reduce air resistance, but I might have reduced power too much... I just realized I did it again, changing the flight model, haha.... :)

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I'm pitching on wednesday, I have already been shortlisted.... I've also recieved funds before on a project on norse mythology, so it's possible for sure!

Thanks for the descrip, though! :)

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #591 gjestland, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Yes, I've already thought about it.... I don't think it's Fugl, but it could be very similar game... Fugl is just a very thin skin atop of my engine, that's what's the work is about, so I'll make many games... Next time shooting (or fire-breathing, that basically the same thing, although flames are coolest!)

Who are these guys?

EDIT: Oh...., yes perfect fit!

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Of course they're gonna explode!

That's it, right there, thanks man! :)

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    If Fugl has some success, I will port it to desktop, at least mac, but it should be easy to port to pc also, it's wrttten in plain c and opengl. Android might be too slow I think, besides nobody wants to pay for anything on that platform... Can you imagine ads in Fugl? No thanks!

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.5.1 is out!

New stuff:
    Jumping salmon, arches, trees!

If there is any problems, I'm available to fix them the next 12 hours... :) Then I'm off to Tuscany, and looking forward to implementing other biomes when I come home...

Thank you for all the support, people, I really appreciate it, together we're making this game into the best flight sim ever! :D

15. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    great jumping exploding salmons! :) If you remember my previous post about half a second stutter, i think i narrowed it down: it happens when a new biome is generated, and i fly too close to the water for the first time in that biome... hope it helps!

Enjoy your vacation time!

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I've noticed a bit of stuttering in the beginning, when the terrain generation is overloaded with work... Will have to sort it out.

Thanks! I wish I could just keep going, but I've worked night and day lately, so it's going to be good with a break! :)

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I've put out a new build, it's still called 0.5.1. The camera was a bit loosely focused on the iphone (wider screen, so it's more noticeable). I've also put in the eagle again, as it wasn't making much sense with seagulls hunting falcons, haha... I've also tuned the tree-colors and the fish jumping/splashing....

I've been also thinking lately... How important is it that the world is endless vs a level (could wrap around)? I love endless, but the world is only 256 voxels wide, so I might run into problems when implementing more open ares, it will get much more noticeable. Already with the trees and arches, the terrain gets so much character that it's easier to pick up on the looping (wrap around)... I'm just wondering how bothered people are by this, I think I will keep the structure as it is now, but for future reference... It will be easier to have goals if there is a set level, but I like the open-ended nature of Fugl, so I think I will just have to work around it...

18. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    #598 Marcoapc, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Here are some of the animations in the game (closeups), the rabbits are not in the game yet... but they'll be there soon :D

Currently working on running horses, i managed to get the frames right but i have to do some polishing and color matching between frames ;D

Hope you guys are having a good day!

Edit apparently the gifs are too big, check em out here instead ---> https://twitter.com/marcoapc_art

Happy Easter!

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I've uploaded a new build with more fitting tree colors... :)

20. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    can one of you guys upload a video or screenshot of whats going on? Ive signed up for beta testing but rather unfortunately it seems like the 4S is getting out of reach, especially for running beautiful games like Fugl :/