Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I agree with this. Experimental with 60 sensitivity and about 45 resistance is phenomenal. I'm able to fly much faster and more accurately through tunnels and around obstacles.

2. tunguitvn

tunguitvn Member

Mar 20, 2015
    On the Earth
    Look like Minecraft, colorful game :D

3. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm glad you agree, seems like we could find concensus om this, but what about the augumented reality mode I made for you (or rather inspired by you)? :D

4. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I tried to make them smaller on the iphone, turned out I made them impossible small on all devices, haha! They're back now, you can download again... :)

5. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    Woah I totally missed that!! I'll give that a try in the morning!

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It's more of a gimmick than anything else... :) Just had to try it! But the scenic vr-mode is pretty cool. No flying, but it's like a window into a virtual world, very good for just looking at stuff when I debug. You move forward/backward in this mode by sliding thumb up and down.

7. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    #567 Marcoapc, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    I love the Scenic VR mode! great for looking around the terrain for those who dont want to worry about crashing for looking at sheep XD

8. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks so much! Stay tuned, more biomes coming soon :D

9. Dsmgsx916

Dsmgsx916 Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Stock Broker
    Sacramento,CA
    Ok, so I had a lot more time to sit down with Fugl last night, here are some impressions. I really like the experimental flight model versus the normal flight model. It seems like I can maintain momentum a lot better coming out of dives and banking turns. I'm really sold on the default control scheme, it just feels so much more natural than anything else. Tilt control is serviceable but I think unnecessary when touch controls have been implemented as well as they have been here.

Some things that I think could use some work... I've noticed that if I get turned around into the fog, it's extremely difficult to recover as visibility falls off very fast. I wish you would lose visibility a bit more gradually, as now it goes from clear to white-out in the snap of a finger. Also, from a purely aesthetic point of view, I feel like you should brighten up the color pallet a bit more than it is now. As it is now, the scenery looks a bit muddy and lifeless due to the washed out color pallet. I feel like you could saturate the colors a bit more and really make things pop. Obviously you don't want to go too much or it will lose the feeling or realism, but I feel it's an area that should be addressed.

Other than those thoughts, I'm enjoying just popping into the game here and there for a quick flight around. Even though there's no goals to achieve or missions to speak of, it's really not gotten old for me at this point. I'm looking forward to there being more structure added to the game, this really is going to be a homerun.

10. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    The early demo vids show a very colorful early test biome of sorts. I know a good number are planned, which will range in color and mood dramatically, from what I've heard. I wanted to comment as well on the current biome's color, as it reminds me so much of my favorite place in th U.S., Sedona, Arizona. The palette is a perfect match for that place, and I love it. I must say, I hope this biome keeps its palette! :)

On trip w/ family now, little vacation. Wife and daughter are exploring the hotel while I have a quick Fugl fix before we head into town. Loving the new flight model so much!

bp

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for chiming in on he flight model... It's going to be the standard one in the next release and the experimental one will have even higher conservation of momentum in turns. I'm also glad you like the default control scheme, but are you using it with inverted Y or not? I would really recommend not using this option with the default controls, as it gives better control in the long run.

Yes, it's a good point, I will surely fix that, it's just a hack at the moment, I will try to implement a more elegant solution, or at least make it more gradual like you say.

As Blake says above, there will be other, more colorful biomes. Colors are really hard and you can spend a week just tweaking them, so I've put the palette to rest for now, but we will surely adjust them more before release, when we can see the biomes in relation to each other.

Happy to hear that, at this point I'm focusing on the feeling of flight to get that right, it's anyways going to be the main gameplay element I think, but I'm curious if you have any ideas for structure? I'm ideally looking for something that would keep you exploring and flying really close to ground/inside of caves etc, as I think that's the most fun thing to do.

Thank you for your input!

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.5.0 is out!

New stuff:
    - rock arches!
    - more caves- relaxed the camera a bit to get a better “feeling”
    - tweeked the terrain, and the tops are now flat.
    - experimental model is now the default model
    - tweeked bird animation and tail
    - thrust is now balanced with air resistance

Hopefully I'll get another update out by tomorrow with fishes and new trees (and maybe a suprise!). Then I'll go on holiday for a week (unfortunately, just now I just want to keep going!).

Also, I'm seeking some grant money from the norwegian state, and I wondered if anybody had any good thoughts on why they should support this game? What in your view, makes Fugl special/worth supporting?

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Good to hear! :) I don't know how old your daughter is, but have you showed her Fugl? I'm wondering if it could be something for kids also?

14. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Hey I'm a kid and I love it!

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Great! :) How old are you, if I may ask?

16. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    ... 12 :)

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Isn't that a tween? Just kidding (no pun intended!) ;) I was thinking of like really young kids, like 6-8, but I'm happy you like my non-violent game though!

18. sweetdiss

Jun 15, 2009
    The VR modes are pretty cool! : )

If you ever want to do more (stereoscopic mode, controller support, etc) I can help test since I have a pretty typical iPhone VR setup here.

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I've got a 6yo daughter, I'll see if I can get any impressions out of her if I can get her to stop watching YouTube long enough... ;))

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    How is it working? I find the tracking to be sub-par on iOS with a lot of yaw-drifting. Unusable for gyro-control scheme at least. Also there is no way I could render stereoscopic without reducing the view distance significant.... It would be cool to try though, but not just now, later in the process, it's a perfect game for vr!

Is this what you have: (or similar)
    http://www.gizmag.com/zeiss-vr-one-review/36156/