Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you! :)

Did you read the instructions on the web-page regarding controls? No tilt yet! I will try to implement a few alternative control schemes this week though...

There is no collision detection for the camera yet, so I don't really know what you mean? Do you mean when the bird crashes? I'm reworking the whole crash cam, hopefully it will be much nicer... I'm also thinking of putting in a instant replay feature, with the last 5 seconds of flight though a tele-lens, so you can see what went wrong... Should be fun!

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Attention all lurkers: I still have room if you want to test this. Only A7 & A8 devices though. Send me your device type and UDID to [email protected].

Cheers,
    Johan

3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I completely agree with all of BP's points, but that was the 0.46 version. About to try the new one, it came out so fast! Hopefully the bird feels lighter and more maneuverable again!

4. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Well, I don't know...

You explained, when I inquired about the body of the bird, that you were handling lateral sliding with a large, invisible, vertical surface and that it was not the way it should be done. It seems you have modeled the fluid / wind system with much detail and that your move here with an actual body was to allow the bird to function properly within the fluid system, if I understand you correctly. It seems it might be better for your satisfaction as the development and for the purity of what you are trying to achieve if you keep going in the direction you felt/likely feel is the "better" way to go, even if the alpha/beta testers are finding the flight model somewhat foreign as it gets honed down to where everyone likes it.

Also, I think I was the only one to chime in on the model when you reverted (aside from the tilt-control fellow). And I'd played it about an hour only. I am sure I would have gotten more used to the new system in time. And you should probably get more feedback than just mine!

When I said,
    I, of course, meant I would keep playing / testing the game -- not that I was considering walking away because of that change - just to be clear. :)

Whatever the case, I am sure the final product will still be the game I most enjoy playing on iOS (which the alpha is now, in truth). Put us beta testers through our paces! :)

bp

5. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap, 0.47 controls perfectly once again! only thing i noticed in this version there was no option for wind on/off, only the slider for wind speed. Actually it makes sense, and simplifies the menu more! thumbs up!

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, my motives are like that, but if you were to read all 50 pages of this thread, you'll see that we already spent most of it trying to figure out the controls and the physics. I have something that works, but of course I want to improve upon it, I just felt I was going about it in a counter-productive manner. I will implement some of the ideas I had, but I will do it with the A/B-testing methodology, that will make it easier to give feedback on, as the baseline will always be there.

I remember when developing Melodive, I really only had one tester, a friend living with me. He was really invested in the game, and would get super upset and angry each time I did something to the flight dynamics he didn't like, and I was constantly doing it! Haha fun times. I do think he can take a lot of the honor in how the game turned out, even if it didn't turn out exactly like he wanted. Testers like that are like gold to me; testers who understand what I'm trying to do and share my vision. In this thread I have a few of those, where you and Ramzarules are the most vocal. So there comes a point where the game is no longer just mine, and I have to keep that in mind. I woulnd't have it any other way, as it's the best feeling in the world when my art actually connects with someone.

Yes, of course, and I did. Not all testers are present in this thread.

No, I didn't read you that way, it just made me realize I had approached the rewrite in the wrong way, so it was good for something. It doesn't matter if my intentions are good and the logic is sound if the flying feels less nice.

Thank you, I will make sure it stays that way! :) And don't worry, there will be plenty to test... I only need to do a few more boring tasks and I can start adding content. Contentwise, the game is less than 10 % finished...

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Phew... Happy to hear that! :D

8. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Gotcha. I can definitely relate to your motives and desires in this. It is why Fugl appeals so powerfully to me. I am glad to be part of the refinement process. :)

I should go back and read the 50 pages of comments to see the process. Interesting, no doubt.

bp

9. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Another thing I noticed in playing v0.4.6 is in-progress drawing ahead of the bird, in the distance. I have never seen that before in the many, many hours I've spent in the game, but I noticed it very quickly in v0.4.6. It's as if the bird was moving faster than it had been previously, and the terrain render hadn't completed before it was in view. I took several screenshots (corner tap!), but this is the most illustrative.

Just FYI.

bp

Attached Files:

10. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Ok, i'll just go ahead and say it: i have no idea what Melodive is, i always thought it was that piano game with the gothic / anime songs or something. I just got instantly hooked on Fugl from the first screenshot! Also, if us testers are like gold to you, then the feeling goes two ways : devs who make beautiful games such as this, and allow testers to be part of it, are like gold to me :)

11. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Go get Melodive.

12. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Dev, I'll be back soon with, hopefully, really useful feedback when I've had more time to play. So far, the game has been great but I have noticed 1 little thing. I think bp may have already mentioned it but when I load the game, the background is white and then when I tap the title to play and the environment takes ages to load. This results in the cliffs being invisible and I crash into them. This suddenly goes away after a few goes but when I load up the game again it does it.

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    This is expected behaviour, as the engine can only work at a certain pace, and only 1024 voxels in advance. It just means that the bird is flying to fast! :)

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #534 gjestland, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Yes, it needs some time to load in the beginning (like 10 seconds). I used to have a cinematic intro to cover this, but I've disabled it for now. I will extend the spash screen to cover up the loading in the next version... :)

EDIT: Fixed! You can download a new version from the web-page!

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Very glad to have you onboard, I think your dedication will help shape the game in a very positive way! :)

I'm not so sure about that, the signal to noise level is pretty low... ;)

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Piano game?! Grab some headphones, go to a dark room and give Melodive a shot! It has tilt controls though, bit of a learning curve if you're not used to it...

You were the first to request to be a part of this alpha and you're still here, even though you still haven't got your controls that I promised! That says a lot... :) Also, what is so cool about these forums is that there is all kinds of people who have an above average interest for mobile gaming. It's real encouraging and inspiring to find someone that cares about what you're making, and you care... :)

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Thanks for the (still) open Alpha-door.

It has been a little while, since i read the first three pages and lately the last five or so, again. Specially blakespot's posts made me a bit jealous not being a part of this game. Not anymore \o/ !

My starter imps would be:
    Never change the name Fugl and the icon, please. Both are as beautiful as my first ten minutes into the game and menu. Oh, and more Klingon, please ;)

Before i dive in further, i'm looking for the fitting sound to soar the sky.
    As dedicated as this Dev is, i'm damn sure that he'll find the perfect music as well. Yet, i hope for an option to still be able to listen to my own songs if i'm in my mood. Preferably with two seperate volume sliders for the music and sfx.

PS: Ah Nee Mah's music is a good start

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Happy to have you, it's always good with some first impressions as the game is evolving pretty fast now.

Hehe. :) I might do the the klingon localization if I can find a fluent speaker... Should be pretty easy! :) Glad you like the name and the icon, it's so hard to come up with... We're pretty happy with both, just a bit worried if you can see if it's a bird in the icon...

In terms of music it will probably be very minimalistic. I might even drop music all together, as I think the soundscape is going to be amazing with a lot of 3D sounds (water, wind, animals, atmosphere). I'm thinking that dedicated players probably will switch to their own favorite music eventually. But I'm working with a composer and sound guy, so we might come up with something that fits. It's just very hard.

Absolutely. I had both sliders in the options-menu, but I needed the room for other, enabled options, so I temporarily removed them. They are coming back!

I will check it out, it's good have a lot of music references.

19. glecko

glecko Member

Dec 27, 2010
    somewhere in AZ
    "glide"

Just getting started as a new tester - thanks for the opportunity and I'll agree with the small section of the thread I have perused - the game is very cool.

The only thing I've noticed - and apologies if it has already been stated - is that my bird seems to be REALLY heavy. I've never quite seen a bird drop out of the sky like a rock, but this little colorful guy will sink shortly after flapping stops. I keep expecting to flap for a bit to get my speed up and then glide for quite a while until I need more speed or I need to climb ... it just feels like I'm losing altitude/speed too quickly when I stop flapping.

Thank you for the inverted controls too - I kept crashing since I was expecting down to be up and up to be down.

I'm looking forward to watching this game evolve over time - and I'll have to check out Melodive

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks for contributing! I'm glad that you like it. :)

This has probably to do with your air resistance settings. Try it 50 % and see how it feels then... The bird will move much slower and glide much less with a high air resistance...

As a flight sim buff, I actually started out with inverted controls, but I soon switched to un-inverted (unverted?), as I kept pulling the wrong way.

Thanks, and please do, I put a lot of love into Melodive, it's made for people who like flight sims.