Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, agreed. I already have in implemented for my own sake, I will add an option for it!

I would rather not have buttons, but I can extend the clickable area to both sides. Notched intervals is a good idea, I will do that. I will also change the scale from linear to something a bit logarithmic, so I can cover a greater range...

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks, always looking forward to your imps! :)

It's blowing from the back, quite gently. I will add visual markers, and hopefully a slider for strength (and also turbulence eventually), so I can get some more feedback on it... :)

I will keep them both, probably swittch the name for air resistance to bird speed and change the scale to a logarithmic one to get a bit more range.

Yes, buttery smooth 60fps is the most important design principle. Makes the whole experience very immersive! So I need to now when there is lagging, so thanks!

3. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    You should add VR support some time. Talk about immersive.

I got a plastic "Google cardboard"esque headset about a month ago and it'd work really well with this game. Especially if you add tilt or controller support (you can't touch the screen in VR).

I'm already in the beta so I could help test that.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'm actually surprised more hasn't been done with this.

You can get a Hasbro My 3D for a couple of bucks these days, but it'll only slot up to a 4s.

There were a couple of apps released for it that were very gimmicky, but worked fine. One of these and a controller would make for very cheap (except for the smartphone of course ;)) VR setup.

[​IMG]

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #505 gjestland, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    0.4.5 is out!

New stuff:
    - Revamped bird shape, animation & color scheme (it has a body now!)
    - Added color customization screen for the bird (make your own, persistant, outfit)
    - Markers for wind (white lines)
    - Slider for wind speed
    - Notches on sliders
    - Dragable sliders
    - Logarithmic scale for air resistance
    - Adjusted cinematic intro/added on&off switch for it
    - Old logo

Please delete the old version before installing this!

Did I forget anything? ;)

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I've uploaded yet another build, it's still called 0.4.5.
    - Nicer text with black border
    - IPhone menu-screen adjustments (hadn't tested properly on iphone).

7. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Yeah, most of the apps I've downloaded for my little setup are pretty gimmicky, which is why I'd love a real game like Fugl to add support. Seems like it'd be pretty simple, just add a stereoscopic mode, and maybe controller support. Of course, I say that with no programming experience myself.

But crap that'd be awesome.

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I actually always wanted to add stereoscopic support for Melodive, I even got myself a 3D-projector to test it on, but I never got around doing it. It's not so complicated, but it's demanding on the hardware, as the scene will have to be rendered double. I will look into it, but it's not on top of my list! ;)

I'm very into VR, but I feel the tech is a bit immature at the moment, it's only for the enthusiasts.... Maybe it will change when Oculus goes mainstream (maybe this year?). I will at some point jump on the bandwagon as it would be perfect for the games I'm trying to make... :)

Maybe Apple can make something cool also, I know they are working on it:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-is-building-a-virtual-reality-headset-2015-2

9. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Fugl's horses coming soon guys! #datwildlifethough

Attached Files:

10. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yayyy choose your fugl colors! great that we can even color each part, you made it! and wind sliders! Although i admit, after a few tries i play with the wind off, it tends to mess with my maneuvers close to the rocks. And the horses and fishes are coming! Nice sunday! :)

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I found a critical bug in the flight aerodynamics code (I had added a belly point without going trough the code and adjusting for it). So I decided to rewrite some of the more iffy parts of the code. I have also added a more realistic lift-curve for the wings. All in all i've fixed the problem, but the flight characteristics will change somewhat.. So I will need some feedback soon. I have also reworked the menus a bit and the custom color screen a lot... I will release a new update later today... :)

12. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    O.O

bp

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    To the better, hopefully! ;) I've managed to keep much more of the momentum in the turns... I'm putting the last touches on the build now...

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #514 gjestland, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    0.4.6 is out!

I hope I don't get lynched, but I had to rewrite some of the aerodynamics code because of a crital bug casued by adding the body. I always meant to do it, as there was several things I hadn't implemented and the code was a mess... But there might be some re-adjusting, but I promise that I will continue to tweek it until all regular testers are happy.... It's very important to get right and I will go the extra mile to do it!

New stuff:
    - A proper lift curve for the wings, so beware you might stall if your angle of attack is too high (angle of attack is the angle between the wings and the direction of flight). The stall is very soft though, no sudden drop in lift.
    - Much better conservation of energy though turns
    - Reworked menus to get more room and adjusted better for iPhones
    - A completely reworked "custom color"-screen, with a more intuitive interface and a rotation of the bird that makes sense...
    - Tweeked intro and shortened it

I really hope you like it, but please tell me if you don't. We'll get it right if there is something to be fixed... :)

15. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    About to download and try. Thanks.

I don't understand about the addition of the bird's body. It had body, right? I see it looks different now, but not worlds different to my eyes. The tail has more structure, certainly. What was the situation before, then?

Thanks.

bp

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hope you like it, it still needs some tweeking, but crazy manoevering should be even easier now. Maybe too easy... :)

Before it was just a flat structure that got voxelized to give the illusion of volume, now there is actually some volume there on the underside, It's a subtle difference, but it looks better from certain angles, also the flat body was causing a lot of drifting which I had to implement a hack to correct (a large invisible stabilizer wing perpendicular to the main body). Now the aerodynamics are more correct and I solved the problem of translating the momentum though the turn. It was just a matter of rotating the velocity vector, can't fathom that I didn't think of it before. This might need some tweeking though, but it's a good start. I was also using Heron's formula for calculating lift and drag areas, but it can give bad results with extreme cases (pin-shaped triangles, which often occur when projecting for drag forces). I also figured out how to make a nice smooth lift curve for the wing, something that was sorely missing. I hope my efforts translate into a better flying experience, it's hard to stop when you first start cleaning up old, buggy code. Hope I didn't go to far! :)

17. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Ok.

So I flew about for an hour. The sensation I get is that the bird is heavier and it's momentum makes the world turn about via control easier. Also, I noticed it's harder to move up or down with sever angling of the bird, again seemingly due to momentum. I can angle the bird hard up or down but the movement in that direction is harder to achieve than it was before. Momentum. But this up and down feels a bit dramatic, beyond realistic. I prefer to play with sensitivity at 75% I found, and this effect is more pronounced at that sensitivity than default.

In a way the bird seems more maneuverable, it in a way less. Definitely less in sever up and down anglings.

I used to be able to hover facing perfectly vertical and then climb straight up easily. It is much harder to fly straight up from a still, hovering (facing straight up) position now.

That's the best I can articulate it for now. Do I like it better like this? I'd say not, but it's not a dramatic not. I will keep playing.

bp

18. elefantopia

elefantopia New Member

Mar 30, 2015
    This game is absolutely gorgeous, the pastel colors, the scintillating water.

But past the beauty I was unable to control the bird so not able to enjoy the feeling of gliding.
    Tilt the ipad, nope, maybe it was the angle of the device. Or maybe the banking was just too slow for the speed.
    Seems to me the device banking should be set quite sensitive.

And I die so often that I can tell you the camera jitters a lot when hitting solids. On the plus side I get to see in the voxels and wow nice culling in there!

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok, I messed up!

I will never change the flight aerodynamics like that again! After a lot of testing I'm not very happy with the results... So I've reverted back to the old physics. They are actually much nicer... So if you downloaded 0.4.6, please forget about it and download the new 0.4.7 version! In the future I will always keep the original aerodynamics, but put the experimental one as a menu option, so it can be tested. In this way we'll have no more trouble... :) I've disabled the experimental option for now, as it's clearly not working as intended... Sorry for the scare!

New stuff in 0.4.7:
    - Old bird aerodynamics
    - Even more refined color custom screen
    - Disabled cinematic intro (I was spending too much time tweeking it for each update, will enable it again later).

Please, please download it if you installed 0.4.6! :)

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you for your valuable feedback! I've put out a new version with old physics as I was a bit hasty in my decision to reahaul the flight physics and didn't test it properly...