Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Created some more flying animals, an Owl and Falcon :D

Attached Files:

2. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Ready for some fishing?! Fugl's fish are coming soon! ;D

Attached Files:

3. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    #483 blakespot, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    One mighty voxel.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    #484 fabianb, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    Haha nice rock

Btw that animated title screen is so nicely done. Respect :)

5. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks man! I will make it even nicer with time, it's just a first draft.. :)

Later today I will release a new version with more birds and a brand new option-screen with lots of options, stay tuned! :)

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    My "is-the-terrain-connected-to-the-ground"-algorithm is not checking for plausability, hehe... :)

Should I add a take screenshot hot corner? It's pretty simply done from what I've seen....

7. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    #487 Marcoapc, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Worked on some fish, some salmons and 2 bass... (The bass aren't showing up for some reason, I'm using my phone :p)

Attached Files:

8. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    It makes the world more interesting. :)

A screenshot corner would be great. I'm always missing the perfect shot because of the hands off the screen, two button shuffle for iOS.

bp

9. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Yeah the screen shot corner would work great! Maybe have it be an option as well for people who don't want anything in their screen. The button could even be semi-transparent to attract less attention but they'd still know where it was :p

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It's implemented (was really easy), will be included in the new build later today (three-four hours from now). Every corner is a a screenshot corner now!

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    0.4.4 is out!

New stuff:
    - Menu system with options!
    - Optional wind (experimental)
    - 4 new birds: Falcon, vulture, parrot and owl.
    - Small terrain tweaks (as always...)
    - Screenshot hot-spots in each corner of the screen. Snap shots directly to the photo album.
    - Birds in the cinematic intro sequence, forgot about it last time...

I've included controls for drag (air resistance) just for fun, it will probably not make it into release. I'm also curious on what settings you like your sensitivity on. There might be some performance issues (frame dropping) becuase of the number of birds, please tell me if you experience a bit of stuttering (the game is supposed to be buttery-smooth!).

Ok, enjoy! :)

Next up:
    - Jumping fishes
    - Better trees
    - Revamped goat jumping
    - More control methods
    - Rock arches
    - Custom bird colors

When the above is finished, we will start making more biomes, first in line will be the "mountain"-biome...

12. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Lots of new - very nice!

So, the default 50% for air resistance and sensitivity, is that exactly where we were before the options were added?

Wind is interesting -- not yet adjusted to having that on. I wonder if a few dust particles moving along to give a cue would be nice?

I have to say I liked the pixelated Fugl text logo slide in on the intro better when it had the dark, thick border. Looked more substantial. Just my $0.02 on that.

Cheers.

Bp

13. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    Game Developer
    Wow, looks very nice :) I love the terrain

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #494 gjestland, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Yes, excactly... I will probably tweek the sensitivity settings a bit depending on the feedback, but 50 % will always be the "normal" sensitiivity...

I've tried both lines and particles... Particles look like snow, lines could work, but I included wind as an after thought in this release, not quite happy with it yet, but would like some feedback...

Yes, it's coming back! I liked it better too... Also bordered text because of readability (at least try it out)...

I've redone Fugl today, tweeked its animation and it has a body now!.. I will also implement custom colors just for the fun of it (I'm so easily distracted, haha):
    fuglbody.jpg

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks man! :)

16. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Good job on the meaty update! i'm laways glad to download and test the new fuglversion! On to my imps:

Wind : I will agree with the above, it's very interesting but some visual sign of how the wind blows/ where there is wind or not, would really enchance the experience. I like how i could drift with it though, in some cases that i understood its direction.

Air resistance : after experimenting, i left it at 50%, it felt just right

Sensitivity control: under 50% i couldnt play it. 50% is normal. 100% was my optimal, i was able to perform much much better, turn faster, be riskier. 100% sensitivity for me! Please leave the sensitivity customisable!

Stutter : slight stutter in some instances where i dived too fast and glided above the water at full speed.. I wouldnt mention it, but you said "buttery smooth", so, here.

Great job once again, and well done to Marco especially for the fish! can't wait to see them!

17. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Appreciate Ramzarules! It means a lot, and thanks for all the support :D

18. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Even though I love the intro it'd be nice to be able to tap to skip it for when you want to get right into the flying!

I have some difficulty with the sliders in the options menu, you have to tap in just the right spot in order to set certain things to the max. Might need +/- buttons on either side of the sliders for fine tuning and to make it easier to max the sliders out. Also notched intervals on the sliders would provide some reference for quick changes to settings.

19. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    I just noticed Fugl is the Danish word for "bird." How is it pronounced. I see indication "ful" is a homophone. I'm curious.

Tnx

bp

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It's also the Norwegian word for it. Since english doesnt really have the u sound, it's hard to describe. U is like oh, but with the tongue touching the lower teeth. Have a listen: http://www.forvo.com/word/fugl/

Even though all scandinavian languages have the word "ful", I think it's only the swedes who use it in the sense of ugly, so I don't actually think it functions as a homophone. In Norwegian we have "jul" and "hjul" (cristmas/yule and wheel), and "vind" and "vinn" (wind and win), as the most prominent one...

Ps. Post number 500 in this thread, yuhuu! :)