Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Sounds like the most zen-like take on Crazy Taxi I've ever heard. ;)

[​IMG]

...Only now you have to Crazy Through the terrain to keep playing!

2. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, excactly! I was thinking just this. You get a grace period when starting out (60 seconds maybe) and each time your score reaches zero (or a few seconds pass without proximity to the terrain perhaps), an alarm goes off and you have a few seconds to score again or Fugl would blow up in a cloud of feathers. Would truly be an arcade mode, haha! Sounds a bit stressful though... :D

3. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok cool, I'll try it out! I agree that scoring is secondary, but if you're going to be scored, it should be on the most exciting thing in-game, so I'm glad you guys agree. I will anyways have an option for displaying the score in game or not. I don't like HUDs as they break the immersion imo.

4. _a_name_

_a_name_ New Member

Mar 22, 2015
    First impressions

I just started beta testing. This game is buttery smooth and the graphics are amazing. My only wish is an alternate control scheme like melodive's. And touching the screen would flap the wings

5. Spracky

Spracky Active Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Hey! I signed up for the beta a while ago but I hardly get the time to play :(

I'm having to test the game on someone else's device so I don't always it with me sadly

6. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    Gliding is a big part of the experience. Nice after getting up to speed with a good flap session.

bp

7. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    #467 blakespot, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    Unsure of the best course of action, I gave the giant voxel chicken a wide berth.

[​IMG]

bp

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I will try to implement alternative control schemes, but I have tried tilt, and it wan't very good. I will try again though! Give the current scheme another go, it's a bit strange in the beginning, but once you learn it, it's very precise... Just like Melodive, haha! ;)

9. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #469 gjestland, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    That is just awesome, haha! :D I promise I didn't put it in there, put I have toyed with the idea of voxelizing a bunch of freeware 3D-models and putting them in the terrain, just to give people a small wtf-moment...

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I have uploaded a new version to the website. It's still called 0.4.2, but I fixed the ungraceful loading. Now it's very stylish.. ;) Please tell me what you think, as it's a work in progress. I have also put in a rudimentary title screen, so now a option screen should be relative easy to put in...

11. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    :O

Wow, that was not what I expected. From that description I assumed you just tacked a basic "Play" button onto the splash screen to make a temporary tile screen.

But in actually, you made a GORGEOUS intro cinematic! It reminds me of the intros to the old N64 games where they give you a fly around tour of the landscape - it really demonstrates the beauty of the graphics. It feels really seamless too - going right from intro, to title screen, to gameplay, without any loading.

The only non-seamless part is the splash screen, which cuts away very sharply. Since the intro begins with a view of the water, it would be nice if the "Fugl" logo in the splash screen faded away to just the blu-ish background, which then faded/transitioned into the blue-green water from the intro.

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #472 gjestland, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Thanks man, I appreaciate it!

Hmmm.. I have no control over the splash screen, only its content, There is supposed to be a fade, but I think it's being stalled because of all the sudden rendering. I could tweek the fog distance, so the splash screen fades to white, then to green... I will have to try that out, but I think it's okey as it stands now really... At least for the time being... I've spent way too much time on it already! ;)

13. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    :) I've seen some interesting shapes. Also, I seem to spend most of my time seeking out the most massive and involved cave systems to photograph.

bp

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Then you can look forward to the cave biome, it's going to be one huge, interconnected cave with glowing mushrooms!

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hello testers!

I'm working on the score display and option screen... I just wondered what kind of options I should put in? Any good tips?

At the moment I have this planned:
    Game mode (Free/arcade/?)
    Controls (Normal/Twin stick/Tilt/?)
    Inverted Y Axis (Yes/No)
    Sensitivity (Slider)
    Air resistance (Slider)
    Responsiveness (Slider) (how quickly it starts turning)
    Bird colors (Random/Custom)
    Music volume
    SFX volume
    Show score in HUD (on/off)

Any other options I should include?

16. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    options seem good. Maybe make a tooltip explaining how air resistance will affect the flight. Otherwise, no further ooooh unless you do the minecraft option to customise the biomes, how much rock how much water grass holes caves animals etc...

17. blakespot

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    That's an amazing intro sequence and I love the exploding title at the start of each flight. Very nice!

Also, I just noticed in the large, open water that's now the beginning of the course, that there are depth details that vary. I think you mentioned that they were added in a few days ago, but I guess I always took them as shadow before, in the rivers. Are the rivers the same as they were before this update, or is there more depth there, now?

You know what would be cool? Jumping fish that you could see swimming, from above. Only so much can be pushed around onscreen tho, I know. :)

bp

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe, not in version 1.0 that's for sure... :) The terrain gen is a pretty fine tuned mechanism. Tooltips could be a good idea, though...

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks!

They are the same, but it works a bit differently in the ocean, as I basically just scale down the terrain to be below the surface = more interesting shapes. Not all rivers run very deep though... I migh ttry to tweek that...

I'm definitively putting in jumping fish! I plan on projecting their "shadow" on to the water, so you'll se them even if they are under the surface... Might constitute a second chance for the hunting bit... :)

20. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    A good way to display the score without cluttering the screen might be to have the score briefly flash near the bird and then fade out whenever you get more points or whatever.

I really like having no HUD for this game.