Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Kangtakang

Kangtakang Member

Jan 21, 2014
    cool game brah, insta buy :D
    though i think you should make the enviroment bigger and not so random :) some thing like a giant temple or a dragon will be super cool :D

2. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    That's what I'm working on, now it's too bland. I would like a more traditional level structure, but with randomized small detail. I'm also working with a talented voxel artist to make it landmarks, buildings, animals and trees. It needs hand crafted content.

3. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    Wow, definitely looking forward to this. Thoroughly enjoyed playing Melodive in bed with the lights off. It's a permanent fixture on my ipad. (And only 9mb!)

4. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    A lot of people playing Melodive with lights out before bed, haha. That is cool. I'm aiming for a relaxed feel for this game also, but with some more action at times. I'm hoping it will be a bit more accessible from the start, as Melodive as a very steep learning curve and no tutorial.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Same here! Would definitely like to help test this one! Let me know!:D

6. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Yeah looks great. I'm interested in testing as well!

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I don't want to spam the thread, but thank you everybody for your interest and enthusiasm! It means a lot to me. When I have something for you guys to test, I will post here, but it might take a month or two (or even more), but everybody is included as I'd love to hear the opinions of serious iOS-gamers like yourselves. I'll keep you posted on my progress, and keep those ideas coming, it's still early in process.

8. Presty6

Presty6 Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Hey Johan, will this support the 4th generation iPod touch like melodive did?

9. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi Presty, havent you upgraded yet?! I actually don't know, but I'm doubtful. The problem at the moment is really the terrain-generation, but that might change. I might support 30 fps on lower end devices, 60 fps is probably not possible.

10. Puke Aces

Puke Aces Well-Known Member

This looks beautiful :) I hope you would release the beta version soon :D

11. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    It was a bit steep, but the flipside of that is that when you manage a really good glide/fall through a rich swarm of melodium, the feeling of satisfaction is all the more sweet. :)

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thank you! I will test it from alpha actually for the people interested, as I'm still looking for ideas and input on how it feels, especially the control scheme which is a bit novel (each thumb controls a wing).

13. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Melodive is fantastic. Fugl looks to be even better. Highly anticipated.

14. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Yes, I'll be glad to test this! Testflight ready if you want! Let me know, and I'll send you info!
    Thanks!

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi Guise, nice to see many of the old fans here, you guys means a lot to me, it was the nice people here that helped me bring Melodive to 1.5.1. with a lot of enhancements. This time I want to include your input much earlier, hence this thread. Thanks to Apples purchase of TestFlight, beta-testing have never been easier. Download the TestFlight App and wait for an email invitation, everything else is automatic.

I will post updates in this thread so every one interested can keep an eye on this. I'm really excited for this, and super motivated. I just have to remind people that I'm a solo hobbyist, so the not every feature will make it and I got to keep things simple, or else we're talking about another four years, haha. I'm seriously aiming for a spring-release, hopefully on Melodive's two years anniversary, namely the 7th of march.

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Sure, everybody is in, I will pm each and every one of you when the time comes! I wanted to ask you though, did you ever get the hang of Melodive?

17. bigrand1

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Honestly, I found it beautiful, and the music was well suited for it but I didn't find the controls very intuitive and it seemed more like a tech demo than a game to me. Not really any goal to achieve but just an experience. Stuck with it for awhile, but became bored 'cause there just didn't seem to be any point to it really.

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yeah, I can see that. It was very clumsy presented, I didn't really know what it was before a few weeks after release. It's really about mastering the controls and maxing out all the stats, so you go faster and faster. The thrill is narrowing escaping small crevices and getting deeper and deeper. It speeds up a lot, but when you start off, you just float around and it takes a while before you get that good feeling. So not very inuitive, no.

With "Fugl" I'm aiming for something that is much more accessible, but still a high-scoring game (how far can you get?). Skill is more about using the wind, avoiding obstacles and hunting animals for energy to flap the wings. So it's really cool that you want to participate, as I also need people that found Melodive to be a bit pointless and too hard.

19. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    To me it was a drug simulator. Lol #

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Hehe, the things that reoccur in the reviews are the words "lucid dreaming, pot and mushrooms", so yeah absolutely. I myself see it as kind of a digital drug, but it doesn't work for everybody. A lot of people play it in bed before to going to sleep, helps them mellow out. "Fugl" is not going to be a drug simulator, that's for sure, but I do want it to entice the imagination, like the 8-bit era did when I was a kid (and still do for some). This is supposed to be pixel art in 3D-form, that's why I'm working with a proper voxel artist. I will soon post some stuff he's making.