Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Spracky

Spracky Active Member

Mar 11, 2015
    #341 Spracky, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    Alright, that's fine. I'll send you my UDID in a few hours.

Edit: i can actually send you an email in a few minutes

2. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    Ok, my bird flies as it should again... No upside-down start, no to-the-right-glide, no issue at all and I have no idea why (not that I'm complaining). I got used to the speedier bird too, so I'm not sure if I can really call it a problem, but it's good to know I wasn't imagining things.

Anyhow, can I take a shot at a tutorial (Sunday is the sooner I can try it)? Is it ok if I youtube a video of me flying around and some text over the video explaining stuff?

3. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok, I was getting real worried there for a moment... :) Tell me if it appears again!

That would be super great, thanks! :)

4. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    :O this would be AWESOME!!! and what if instead of already stated and colored birds you have the hidden eggs simply as stats and colors to add or subtract as we wish? That way we could eventually make our own colored fugl, with our own stat preferences!

5. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #345 cerbo, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    I wonder what I flew through… wasn't sparkly, but was particles (perhaps other birds?)

The game seems to reward a zen-like patience, whereas attempting to get somewhere too urgently seems to result in a (crash) landing. I am learning the rhythm and find it's much more relaxing than most other flying games (including melodive), although no less perilous.

I'm impressed wth how good it feels, and how you are exploiting this novel concept of balance rather than relying on "twitch" reaction time for the major mechanic.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Wow, this is neat! :D

Any chance for an "invert Y axis" option?

Other than that, the controls work great, and the landscape is mesmerizing.

Any chance you'd be willing to create a Rescue on Fractalus clone?

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Like you found differen stat-eggs lying around instead of specific ones with already made combinations? I would rather just have a bird editor actually, as I will get a lot of emails complaining about the lack of icloud-support... ;) Then I'll keep the color-eggs as a bonus. The editor should be balanced anyhow so it's more about personal preference and skill level, than the levelling up mechaninc, which I don't like really. Colors on the other hand are purely cosmetic and doesn't affect gameplay. What do you think?

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Any new vids that show the current look of the game?

9. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks, glad you liked it!

I usually prefer "inverted Y", but in this game I kept pulling the wrong way for some reason. It's not a flight stick control basically, but people coming from flight sims will find it a bit counter-intuitive in the start, but give it some time and I think you will prefer it this way... BUT, to answer your question: YES, I will include it in the options... :)

I don't know if I can do so advanced 3D-graphics! ;) No, but seriously, like I said a few pages ago: I want to reskin this game into a space shooter when I'm done. Should be pretty easy, as most of the groundwork is finished. I always come to this point in the development where I just want to shoot stuff up, but have to resist the urge and stick to the plan... :)

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I just have to finish up 0.4.1 and then I'll make a video!

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Awesome! Thank you!

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It was probably the shimmer in the water? They're particles, a real hack to get the water to look a bit more alive.

Thanks, it's a very good read of the game. It will become more appearant when I implement the energy system so you need to hunt to stay aloft and the wind system with updrafts and thermals. Then the game will become more strategic with the purpose being not to waste altitude, reading the wind, looking for updrafts and doing risk/reward calculations to pursuing the animals. Hopefully you'll feel almost like a real bird by then! ;)

13. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    #353 chimpman252, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Wow, this is coming along really well. The flying prey can be very tough to catch though - it might be a good idea to include an assisted hunting mode as a difficulty toggle in the options for your younger or inexperienced audience in which the bird slightly aims its flight automatically toward nearby animals.

Also, I have been experiencing a bug with the controls. Lifting a finger while flapping usually puts you in glide mode as expected since you have one finger on screen. However, lifting a finger while performing a sharp roll oftentimes will cause the bird to get locked up, not responding to any gliding inputs (usually as if the bird is permanently turning). This will only cease once the player removes all fingers from the screen.

I find this frequently breaking up the flow of the game for me, as I like to switch between gliding and flapping just by lifting or placing down a single finger - I rarely remove all fingers from the screen. For this reason my bird will get locked into an unresponsive state and I don't register what's happening until it's too late and my bird has crashed.

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm working on making the prey a bit more predictable in their paths, as it's now its just crazy, and not very natural movements. So this should help a lot. Also there will be slower moving animals as well, so I think it will be ok. :)

I have problems replicating the bug, can you describe it in more detail, or maybe make a video, a drawing or something?

15. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    ohhh, excellent fugl control! Especially impressed by the stop and tight turn near the second half of the video!

16. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah looks nice ;). Btw, what plans are there for landing in the future?

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks, but it was mostly luck! It was strange for me to play on the phone, I think maybe the sensitivity is a bit high still... I think it's about time to implement that option screen I've been talking about so long (but it's sooo boring...).

Did you notice the flapping eagles? Marco might have to add some intermediate frames, but they looked pretty good didn't they?

Now I need to implement the energy system, and we'll officially have a real gameplay mechanic! ;)

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    No plans for landing as I don't see the point in the main game. But I want to implement a free-mode also, which will be only flying around, unburdened by low energy, but without scoring. Then there might be a point to perch, just to watch the show... It's not on the top of my list though, as I have no idea on how to actually make it work, maybe you have some ideas?

19. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ah no problem, just wanted to know. It would indeed only be to watch the scenery and keeping the pace low. Some ideas how to make it work? I have an idea, although it's probably not going to be used, but if the impact (collision) with the terrain is below a certain amount (or speed), you don't crash but simply stop flying. Only on flat surfaces though, so if it's too steep you either fall or crash.

No idea if that's technically achievable, but just an idea :p. You can always keep it in mind when the main game is finished :). Goodnight