Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Maybe it's the camera catching up to the position it should be in, it will always lag a bit behind to smooth out the camera-movement?

Thanks! I will work on making it even prettier. The finished game will be like a voyage in beauty, or at least that's the vision. Me and Marco are considering making color palettes for the bird that you will find like easter eggs in the world, that can be selected, but I think it's good to have this random choice also as people seem to like it... What do you think?

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    This is expected yes, as the world loops around in the x-direction (perpendicular to the sun). The problem is that sometimes the terrain generation generates a canyon that's at a 90 degrees angle, but I will fix that, then you will hardly notice. In fact, I don't think anybody has mentioned it yet, something that's a bit strange because the world is only 256 voxels across. I didn't want to say much about it as I wanted people to find out themselves to see what kind of problem it represented.

I have to do this to be able to generate this amount of terrain. In Melodive the world was only 96x96 voxels, so this is a big step up, as it's now 256 (width) x 128 (height) voxels.

3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I like this idea a lot! Give us incentive to explore / explode animals / and generally play more, by finding things to unlock, such as colors as you suggested, or even different birds :)

4. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, different birds might be an option too, but it's difficult as different birds will have different physics, but that might be a good thing? But should there always be an option to have random colors? People seem to like it...

5. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    before the game starts, maybe we can choose our fugl color palette, and in these choices, there could be a "random" option too (like fighting games where you can select characters or a random)

6. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    Starting with 0.34 I keep getting the bird flying upside down when I begin. And now, on 0.40 my bird has a tendency to fly to the right when gliding (never to the left for some reason). Also, is it me, or the controls have a higher sensitivity than before (might be just that I had a week off since I played it the last time)?

So far, so good. Eagles (they are eagles, right?) looking awesome around the mountains. Now if only I wouldn't hit rocks... :d

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Regarding upside down: What OS version are you on? You mean the whole screen starts off in the wrong direction, so you have to turn around the device to be able to play, right?

Regarding the drifting: That is truly strange. This happens when you don't have any fingers on the screen? I have no explenation for this at the present time.. Does it always happen or just sometimes?

Regarding sensitiviy: I haven't increased it, but the bird is a little bit smaller, it might have affected aerodynamics somewhat, because of less drag, but that shouldn't influnece the sensitivty... What device are you on? Anyhow I should soon implement an option screen I think... :)

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I think that's it!

9. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    #329 shadowgamerr, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    The bird starts upside down, not the screen - sorry for the confusion. So may not have anything at all to do with the 8.1.3/8.2 os version.

Drifting happens while I'm not touching the bird but AFTER having directed it a bit (particularly when I start and try to point to a rather middle point in space, flying parallel to the ground). Soon as I get my fingers off screen, it just happens gradually. I will see that I record a video when I get home in a couple of hours.

As for the last one, it's a 5s - beautifully rendered colours :D.

10. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    A video would be great, thanks!

11. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I was just wondering if anybody thinks 0.4.0 controls harder than 0.3.4 (bird is faster)? I reduced the size of the bird, and that means lesser air resistance, so I might have to increase it in the next release...

12. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah I already thought there should be a brake button. It can be pretty hard to turn in canyons.

13. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap, bird is faster, but personally it doesn't bother me too much. I would even say i kind of like it, since i can glide down, and then pitch up without flapping, and the bird doesn't fall like a rock to the ground, i have some seconds to flap to lift it and it goes up fast.

14. Spracky

Spracky Active Member

Mar 11, 2015
    So can anyone test this? Because I would be honored if I could help. I've tested multiple games before using testflight.

15. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I think the preferences will be vary, so I'll do the hidden eggs thing, where you can find different birds hidden in the terrain with varying stats and colors. I'm thinking the following stats:

Speed (how fast it can go = air resistance)
    Response (how quickly it turns != sensitivity)
    Lift (how much lift is generated)
    Stamina (how much energy can be stored)

These are just from top of my head, there might be other and more suited stats...

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I still have room for more testers. You need an iphone5, ipad 4 or better though. I'm not using Testflight, but I have my own web-based over-the-air installation scheme going on. Send me your device type and UDID (click on serial number in iTunes or go to get.udid.io from the device) to [email protected].

17. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    If I bumbed the minimum spec up to iOS 8, I could read the size of the thumb-print, bigger size would generate breaking power (or something else). But iOS 8 adoption is at only 75 %, so it's a bit excluding. Would have made my life easier though...

18. Spracky

Spracky Active Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Ok, I have an iPad mini 2 and iPod touch 5g if that works. I can email you my UDID's later today if that works!

19. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    That's great, but what do you mean only text? There's a video too! :) You can be a tester too, just send me an email at [email protected]!

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Ipad mini2 should be fine, but not the iPod unfortunately...