Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, something like that.... Actually it looks much better from behind, I must agree... :)

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #302 gjestland, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Hi all,

Just a quick update... I'm working on the next update, this is going to be a big one!

What has been implemented:
    - Shadow for the bird
    - Friction for the ragdoll animation
    - Exploding animals
    - Auto-roll back to center (works great!)
    - Instanced drawing (enables a lot more animals onscreen)
    instance.jpg

What I will do before releasing:
    - Flying birds in the air that you can hunt (more fun than animals imo)
    - Glimmer in the water
    - Water-animation
    - Better fog, with a colored sky

I figured a big update was in order, as there has been very many small ones, that's the reason it's taking its sweet time. Sorry about that!

I plan on releasing before the end of the weekend, stay tuned!

3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    wohooo! very excited! will stay tuned for the new build! And the above screenshot, does it make for MASSIVE explosions? :D

4. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Wow, that's an impressive list!
    Looking forward to the birds shadow and a first taste on what hunting is gonna be like.

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm actually thinking about reskinning the game after release and making a shoot 'em up with MASSIVE explosions, haha ;)

6. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Excellent idea! - space sims are on the rise this year, so even better. :)

7. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Eagle and Vulture... Hunter becomes prey >:D

Attached Files:

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Ok people!

I've uploaded Fugl 0.4.0! Go and get it and tell me what you think. Real happy with this one!

New stuff:
    - Exploding birds!
    - Shadow for the avatar
    - Shimmer in the water
    - Auto-levelling of the roll component

Still to do:
    - Tweeking the bird flight/animation
    - Adding a flapping animation to it
    - Adding a energy system so the flaping power depends on how much you ate recently

So even if it's not 100 % finished I wanted to share it with your guys, so I can make a perfect 0.4.1 release!

9. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Really really liking the new update! Looks a lot more alive with the other birds, water reflection and bird shadow.

Btw I got a question about the world generation. Is it randomly generated each time you start the game? Or when you die? Or is it the same world over and over?

10. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Ha, was anticipating your post Johan.
    Ok, i´m off to download and play :)

11. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Awesome update! except the bird shadow and the shimmer in the water, i also noticed the flapping became more dynamic now. Was it just my idea?

Also, you probably guess what is my new favorite thing to do, after passing through small holes in the rocks... charging packs of vultures to make them explode :D

Finally, the auto-levelling-roll works really well, only i noticed sometimes with leveling out automatically, it also changes my direction more to the left or right (like normal rolling does). Could the direction change of the auto-roll be reduced/ removed?

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Cool! :)

It is continously being generated, but it's a new seed every time you start up the game.

13. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Thanks! I don't know what you mean by more dynamic? I'm going to make it more dynamic, but I haven't it done it yet. The flapping speed will depend on your energy level... At least that's the idea...

Cool, their movement is a bit erradic at the moment, but I'm working on it. Btw, they are eagles, hehe :)

I don't understand. The direction doesn't change when rolling, does it? Can you explain a little more?

14. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    This game is beautiful

Attached Files:

15. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    And another beautiful scenery screenshot

Attached Files:

16. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    Huh? I flyed in this cave (see picture below) and I was only going straight forward, no turns or loopings. After 30 seconds I realised the scenery was repeating itself. See the image below (click the image for better resolution). You can see the green bush on the same spot on the rock. It's exactly the same. I continued to fly straight for a minute of 1 or 2 and it kept repeating. Is this normal? I never experienced this before.. Lol? :p

Attached Files:

17. cerbo

cerbo Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2015
    #317 cerbo, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    just starting out…

hrm keeping aloft seems to require a lot of work (double thumb swipes)…
    so i think about finding a safe landing spot to rest. is it possible to land? I did catch a cloud of "sparkles" too but i'm not sure whether it gave me powers, as my demise arrived microseconds later. it does make me want to play melodive, which i'm still getting better at each time i play.

edit- also i have no clue how to steer, swiping one thumb up or down on one side of the screen doesn't give the wished-for result, but i'll keep working at it with the tilt in mind as well.

18. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    I thought the controls were changed some updates ago. I'll try to explain, if I'm wrong correct me! To go forward you hold, not swipe, left and right. To turn left, you swipe both thumbs to the left (but don't let go on the screen). To go straight again, just move both your thumbs back to your original position.

19. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    hmm.. it's not a complete direction change like when you turn left or right. But there is a slight change, maybe from the camera rotation or the physics of flight? Like the world turning around the fugl in that moment, instead of the fugl turning around in the world. I can't explain it better just yet, if it doesn't make sense i don't blame you :) I'll see if i can describe it better in the future.

Every time i play i am thinking how beautiful this is, especially if my random fugl is colored brightly with reds and yellows and greens :)

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    No landing I'm afraid! Also there is no sparkles that give you power, that's Melodive, haha! :)

There is no tilt controls! Also there is no swiping in the sense that you shouldn't really move your thumbs very fast (unless you want to turn very fast). It's more akin to a dual stick setup. Did you read the instructions on the download-page?

If anybody have a better way of describing it, it would be most welocme! We're also toying with concepts for a tutorial... Not sure how to approach it though. I'm thinking maybe a short video, or drawing and maybe a virtual room, with no obstacles, only a grid where you can fly free and get a sense of the controls... Any opionions?