Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I would love to test.. I'm a huge melodive fan :)

2. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    #242 gjestland, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
    Attention all potential testers: There is still room for you, but please don't use an app to get UDIDs, it doesn't work after OS7. Instead (from your device) head over to: http://get.udid.io/ and follow the instructions there. It will install a configuration file that makes the web-site able to to read your UDID and email it.

In other news: I have posted a new build to the website: 0.3.3. It has some small cosmetic fixes, also a new ragdoll-tail!

3. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I enjoyed it.. Took me a while to get used to the controls but they work pretty good.. Had a tough time trying to fly low through the canyons.. Would be nice if you gave us some options.. Tilt controls perhaps :) .. I'm pretty excited to see where you go with this..

4. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    @gjestland I just watched your video of Fugl. Amazing. I am thinking of using Voxels in my next game and I'd love to read about the technology used in Fugl.

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    the last version has a beautiful colored tail :) i like it! also i find the controls so playable that now i go canyon diving and hole - wait nevermind, that could be inappropriate - and i no longer crash, so when i quit the game instead of being frustrated about crashing, i am thinking "allright, it's beautiful and it works, i'm waiting to see what gets added next now" :)

6. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I will give options, but I wanted the current scheme well tested before implemented other schemes. Glad you liked it, the controls take some practice for sure, but it's satisfying when you learn them and can fly though very narrow passages and caves. It's not a one-button endless runner for sure! ;)

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    It's very basic stuff really, I don't use any special tricks, except I have written very fast routines to tesselate the voxels. The terrain is a 2D-noise heightfield modulated by 3D-noise gradient interpolated out to voxels. I also use very compact vertex-format (only 8 bytes per vertex), so I can push a lot of triangles, as the devices are very bandwith-restricted. I also use chunks of 32x32x32 voxels. The whole playing field is a very long cube, with different processes going on at different places, like a conveyor belt at a factory, there is a lot of different procesess. First noise-generation, then caves are subtracted, loose terrain eradicated, voxels interpolated from the noise, smoothing, tesseleation, vegetation, lighting, etc. It all has to be in order to get the right result. It's all happening in the background when the player moves. Lighting is pure minecraft-lighting (except in comes in at 45 degrees), you can find a lot of information about that all over the web.

You should check out reddit.com/r/voxelgamedev if you haven't already. Also check out 0fps: http://0fps.net/category/programming/voxels/

Was there something in particular you wanted to know, I'm happy to help.

8. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    What would you like to see added first? More gameplay mechanics like wind and moving animals/hunting or more biomes? Or other stuff? I can't decide for myself, I originally thought more biomes, but I'm itching to make the hunting work, as i think it can. Also I love to do all kind of effects, especially with particles...

9. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I would be more interested in gameplay mechanics, especially the hunting, as that in my opinion gives a better understanding if the controls really work well enough. Flying around making up your own little goals is a very nice experience so far, but i would like to know how the actual gameplay will play out more or less.

10. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Same here. I believe it's more important to first nail down the gameplay mechanics and the controls in all aspects of the game (as for sure this will need further adjustments to perfect it in hunting, wind etc)

Adding biomes / effects etc can come later or in small parts here and there for a break.

We have to get the core right before we polish the exterior :)

11. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I also agree with adding hunting next, I think the controls are very well established and intuitive at this point.

On my end, currently working on the mountain rework...

Thanks for your continued support guys!!! We're so happy to have you guys follow us through the Fugl journey :D

Here's a floating island concept, might use them on the new mountains maybe? ;D

Attached Files:

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    What a bloodthirsty gang! But I agree, we should focus on gameplay-mechanics before eye-candy... I'll start on the hunting part, but also the wind will be kind of important for flying, so I shouldn't put it off for long. Any thoughts on that?

13. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    sure, but not together.. unless wind doesn't impact hunting at all, and is just a "too high out of area barrier"

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, we'll do one at the time, to get everything right! :)

15. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    exactly! because i find the controls great right now, but can't wait to see how suited they are to actually grabbing poor things off for food in the beautiful colored fugl talons mua ha ha ( :D )

16. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Oh man, do you expect talons? I was more thinking the animals would explode in a cloud of colored confetti when you got near enough...

17. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    #257 amusing Grace, Feb 23, 2015
    Explode in a cloud of colored confetti?
    For real???? :)
    Please say yes! Please say yes!
    (At least as an option in the menu?)

18. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    #258 gjestland, Feb 23, 2015
    I think talons and picking up might be hard to pull off (no pun intented), exploding confetti on the other hand... I was thinking the option could be between a child friendly color confetti explosion and a bloody gore-explosion. I have this nice and efficient ragdoll physics system that doen't get used much now, except for the crashing. There could of course be some talons reaching for the animal before it explodes, but then the camera angle would have to change to see it I think. What do you guys think?

19. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    confetti explosions are fine, festive and matching with the visual theme of the game. :)

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I don't want the game to be too dark or violent really...