Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    There is no sound yet! Also no point to it really besides flying around. The test is for the controls and the flying basically... :)

2. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    I'm reworking the controls as we speak. I just wanted you guys to have a baseline to compare new versions too. I agree there is a lot of problems with the current scheme... :)

Yes, the bird needs a bit of friction, and the white space you're seeing are just the camera going though the terrain. It will be fixed of course... :)

That's good to hear! It's not much of a game yet!

3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    It's exciting to be a part of the alpha test, to see just how far this game can come from alpha to final release. I'll be happy to provide more feedback in all versions, while flying with the fugls (i assume fugl is the creature? ) :)

4. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Extremely jealous of you guys.

Can't get the beta to install. First it was the wrong UDID (got it from a free UDID-app in App Store), which got me an error message that the app could not install, fair enough. After correcting that, the app doesn't try to download at all. Did any of you experience the same thing and how did you solve it?

iPhone 6

Pedroapan

5. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Cool! That's the idea, I'm hoping that a few of you follow it all the way to release, as it's good to have a few different opinions... The creature is the fugl, yes. It just means bird... :)

6. Kangtakang

Kangtakang Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Just tried it, really smooth on ipad 4 , battery is alright :D
    But i have to agree that it is pretty hard to control.
    And i think you should add a " settle " abillity ! Some time i see a new creature but the bird move forward so fast that i can barely see it , even if i can turn back it is still very hard to see cuz i have to fly around. :(
    But if that what you want to make the game harder then nevermind :D
    P/s : that creature i saw is something gray with some thing white on head , maybe it is an elephant ? If it is then i think it is pretty small, how come an elephant size = a goat size :D

7. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Yes, I'm reworking the controls to make it possible to brake in the air... :)

No, it's a ram I think, a goat variation. Haha :)

8. Pedroapan

Pedroapan Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Victory! Got it to work!

Starting to get the hang of the controls but love flying through the air and occationally smack the poor bird in to the hills!

Pedroapan

9. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm not sure you had the right UDID, you should already have one.

1. Launch iTunes and connect your iPhone.
    2. In the right pane, locate the information about your iPhone, including its name, capacity, software version, serial number, and phone number.
    3. Reveal the Identifier by clicking on Serial Number:.

10. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Yay!! Awesome :D

11. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I have an idea for controls that I think would address the issue of braking/changing speeds and would fit well with the current scheme.

Right now, the bird will respond when you move both thumbs vertically (pitch), both thumbs horizontally (yaw) and thumbs in opposite vertical direction (roll).

I think the last control ability you should take advantage of is thumbs moving in opposite horizontal direction (speed), i.e. moving your thumbs closer/further from the bird.

As you move your thumbs closer together, the bird would bring in its wings to slow down. Moving your thumbs apart toward the left/right edge of the screen would expand its wingspan, bringing it up to full speed. Or vice versa.

At least, that's my natural thumb instinct when I'm flying around and want to change my speed :)

12. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    That's excactly what I'm working on, only my instinct is the other way around... Haha... :) The reason I want it so you break down when pulling your thumbs apart is that you'll have more fine-grained control over the steering since the thumbs are further apart = more resolution. Likewise you it makes sense that you have less control when flying fast. But maybe I'm thinking about this all wrong and it should be like you're saying. I'll test it soon enough... :)

13. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    What wonderful game the controls take a while to get hang of but after while it fantastic game can I upload some images on to Twitter :):D

14. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    Very happy you're liking it! I'm happy you got the hang of it, it's a bit daunting in the start... Of course you can upload pictures to twitter! It's good if you can hashtag them #fugl #game #ios, or something similar... :)

15. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
  16. background

background Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Auditor
    I really like and enjoy the feeling of free flying from the game. The control reaction is fine with me but still a bit difficult to master. The thumbs down can easily accelerate the bird which makes it difficult to turn and rise up. Also i sometimes find the bird upside down and lean towards one side due to not fully mastery of the control maybe. BTW the animals on the ground are a nice add.

17. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    Actually yeah, your way makes more sense. In addition to the reasoning you gave, it would be more compatible with the way yaw currently works (e.g. when turning right you move the left thumb closer to the bird and the right thumb to the right edge of the screen. The left thumb would be closer to the bird thus the left wing would be providing more force, in turn turning the bird right)

18. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    will there be an option for alternative controls (more normal)? ie left stick for up down left right, right stick for speed up / roll left/right/ break ?

19. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    I think the benefit of the current controls is the twisting feature (left up and right down or vice versa) this lets you squeeze through difficult crevices and even fly upside down! Total freedom. Maybe the alternative (different) controls would probably lack this feature unless they were tweaked to twist.

20. gjestland

Jan 15, 2013
    That's a possibility, but I really want to try to make my control scheme work for everybody. If it doesn't, it could be an option for sure...