Wimp HD - $0.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by syntheticvoid, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Does this mean the girlfriend gets the ipad and you the iphone? Can't imagine having a new ipad and not using it, or is it a work ipad? Not to pry too deeply.

But if one doesn't have a new ipad, I would just recommend the sd version unless graphics resolution is essential.

2. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011

Bought the HD Universal version just now - best 0.99 i've spent in a while, and i've only scratched this game's surface. The levels seem eerily reminiscent of Earthworm Jim's, by the way! Looking forward to updates in the near future!

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    That's honestly the first thing that came to mind when TA previewed the game a while ago. I was pretty surprised that no one other than Eli (in the TA Plays video) picked up on that. Nice to see other people noticing.

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Gf's ipad. She really only uses it for email and light web-browsing, but she hooks it up to the sound system at work (she's a hair stylist...erm, excuse me, she's the "creative director" at a salon). It would be fine if I threw a game on it, but...I'm Dave. And By The Power Of Greyskull, before you know it, I would have that thing filled up with, as she would say, WTF is this crap? ;)

5. Ah, good, it's not yours, that makes perfect sense, that is better than being p-whipped, so I do annoit you the power of Greyskull. It's not so bad now that the game's name is changed to pants, but I could see someone's girlfriend, going wtf, why do you have games like SuperCock, Pussy Flip, Cock Blocker, Hairy Balls, and this wacko one with a crossdresser looking for the pilferer who stole his panties?

Funny world sometimes. :). Too bad ios6 didn't come with a hidden files command.

If you want a good game that she would enjoy, and that would be fun for you too, and that is cute, check out Fire Busters, Follow the Rabbit, and Catch the Candy, they are all good cute unisex puzzle games, that both of you can enjoy, that you won't get in trouble for, unless of course candy has any kind of derogetory connotations which it may have.

6. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#26 andsoitgoes, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    Motherfathersisterbrother!!!!

I am so tired of this happening to me. I know developers need to do what is necessary to make money on their games and yes, it's only a dollar, but if I added all the money spent in this way, I would probably cry.

When it's all said and done, I know developers can't worry about us, and we don't fiscally matter compared to the boost in sales they get from lowering the price, but it really hurts those of us who jump on games early on. And while some people will say that early support is good to help support the devs, but to be honest, I'm not contributing to a charity.

I still love the game, but for anything over a dollar, it only encourages me not to pay full price, and to just wait. Sigh.

Edit: I would like to stress that I agree this game is WELL worth the price at $1.99, it is an amazing game, it truly is. But price drops like this are negatively impacting the App Store along with consumable IAP. Sigh.

7. Vigram

Vigram Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Sri Lanka
    Well it was annoying but after playing the game and enjoying it so much i felt it was worth it :) and the developers were gracious enough to ask me if i needed another promo code for what happened, so there is that.

8. Yup, I hear ya, and that's why I am generally a non early adopter unless I really want this game like this one. Nowadays try to wait one month before buying anything, just get tited of getting into those early adopter flamewars cause then it is doubly hurtful. I just hope wimp does get more sales from it cause they deserve the recognition. When is the sale over someone posted it was just a one day sale only.

9. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    #29 Greyskull, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    Pretty much everything that isn't .99 will go on sale at some time or another. Think about how quickly games are forgotten even here, at T.A. 3 years ago, a game thread could stay on the front page for months. Now, it seems most games are nearly forgotten by the next Wednsday release day or a week after that.

I hardly even venture into the "upcoming game" forum, but man, some games are so anticipated, then drop off like a brick in a few days (Payback 2?).

It's definitely annoying when a game goes on sale almost immediately, but I save my burning wrath for the devs and publishers who release a game, then come back and iappify (TM) it or put in adverts (or turn on the ad code that was hidden in the program to begin with). Not talking about expansions, but changing the structure of the gameplay to a freemium model. Or change the name and resell it. Or, release a new version called plus or premium, then screw up the original amd make it free.

Getting back to the sales and the speed at which the appstore moves, you can see why it is done. A lot of the time I forget about something I wanted to purchase, then I'm reminded of it when I see it go on sale in on Appshopper or another tracker. Yeah, the quick sale is annoying, but you still got the full game. And unlike Dead Trigger, this one isn't freemium with a price tag.

10. As the current President of the Dead Trigger Defense Squad, I will have to retort that Dead Trigger has some of the best graphics of any of my games on my new ipad, and the new alien gun rocks making it seem like a Terminator game!

I realize that Eli from TA says that it is a tech demo and all which is very hurtful to all the fanboys, but getting the alien gun, exta arena levels, and additional coins was worth the buck.

In fact, I have decided to run for President of the Wimp Defense Squad since I seem like one of the major supporters of this game. So please vote for me for President. However, I will never wear panties! ;)

11. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Never thought I'd qft four paragraphs, but yeah, pretty much. [Specific game title removed to keep the drama to a minimum...;)]

DBC

12. Ok, good, now with that other title out, I agree with it 100%+.

Signed,
    Connector
    President, Dead Trigger Defense Squad
    Acting President, Wimp Panties Defense Squad

13. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    #33 Greyskull, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    It's not just a tech demo, but the grinding is rediculous.

What peeved me more was that it advertised the cloud save function...so I typed in my email, ladeeda...and it was broken, as I'm sure you know.

Which brings me to the peeve I forgot to mention: when a game goes freemium and the dev promises paid users in-app currency or items...or adverts are added, but not for those who paid. Do devs not understand that there is linited space on an idevice, and programs have to be removed? They never mention that the game has to have stayed on your sevice, when it ALWAYS HAS TO.

Long story shorter, I deleted Dead Trigger about a day before the cloud was turned on, and even though I bought the game, can never get the promised goodies.

14. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    My experience with this game, sadly, has been disappointing, contrary to many posters' opinions here.

The game has very clever puzzle elements. However, the controls are absolutely horrible. In particular, the momentum of the the player character is too excessive, making precisely timed jumps very difficult to do perfectly without dying at least once during a level. The developer must have known this fault, as the game offers plenty of checkpoints. However, this does not excuse the fact that the controls are often oversensitive or overcalibrated. To me, this is a classic example of a game that makes for rage quit, because of the player is required to make an nearly impossible number of perfectly timed execution with little margin of error just to pass a level.

15. Oh oh, fighting words...

Well, again, since I am the current President of the Dead Trigger Defense Squad I will have to respond.

Oh, it hurts so much to hear the term tech demo associated with this game. According to it's fanboys, it's a graphics shooters masterpiece, with endless brainless shoot em up fun.

Yeah, there is grinding, and it is repetitive, but play it like me, just once in a while for only 5 minute spurts, you will like it better that way. I got no idea a out the icloud, cause I have never deleted it, cause file sizewise, it's only around 200 mb, not 2 gb like Nova 3 or Modern Combat, so on my system, DT has actually somehow managed to stay on it over those due to the file size.

It does suck big donkey woowoos if you didn't get all of the extra coins and alien gun for early adopters, but as the developers have mentioned, there is no way for them to know, Apple won't tell the developers if you purchased it, they can only tell if you have the game already installed and have a save game state.

I know this really sucks big donkey woowoos, but that's Apple's fault not DT's.

So you have valid points, and I feel your pain. I really wish I could loan you my alien gun, it is really one of the funnest weapons I have played on ios. Makes the game feel just like a Terminator game, not a zombie game. You shoot the alien gun, and the zombies just disintigrate, it is an awesome sight to behold on the the new ipad.

Sorry, I feel your pain, and you know the best thing that you didn't mention in your post, it has probably the most fascinating thread of any game that I have ever seen here on Toucharcade. If you haven't read the Dead Trigger forum, you are missing out on life.

It's great reading on the john, and if you like flamewars, wow, you will be amazed. :eek:

Anyway, I guess I should at least post one thing about Wimp, so is the sale over yet? I thought it was only supposed to be for one day?

16. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It's over.

17. Oh good, then we can stop talking about Dead Trigger. :p

18. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Erm...sorry :(. And i've been to the Dead Trigger thread. I son't think it will have the staying power of the "is Cannabalt worth 2 bucks thread" ;)

19. Yeah, how about this, is Wimp hd worth $2? I say hell yeah! But, it was a steal for a buck. Some people got lucky on this sale.

And you can borrow my alien gun anytime you want...

20. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Dead Trigger was an experiment in letting the accountant design a game. Hopefully Apple wises up to that sort of tactic and treats the model with the same contempt it treats any other scam. I didn't want to proxy purchase some silly alien pistol. Way to build and then crush developer trust.

As for Wimp, I'd glady throw money at the developer again.