Will you be buying the new iPhone 3GS? [Poll]

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by LBG, Jun 8, 2009.

?

Will you be buying the new iPhone 3GS?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Maybe in the future

41 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    How would purchasing the $99 3G help? He would still be locked into the same contract and still have to wait the same amount of time to upgrade.

2. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Well can someone changed my vote to buy the iPhone 3GS because my iPhone 2G battery died on me.... RIP iPhone 2G you were such a good phone :(:(

3. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    It helps since it is less of an investment so that he won't feel like he got burned when the new version comes out. That is at least why it would be better to me.

4. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    #64 reinhart_menken, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    For all the people that says that the iPhone 3G S isn't good enough and the older iPhone will be good enough, I think 70% - 80% of you are just trying to convince yourself that your old iPhone wouldn't suck when the new ones comes out. Some of you, I'll give you that, really don't need the newer 3GS.

I mean, I'm not remotely a fan of Apple, and they got me at "OpenGL 2.0 will push it above PSP" (if that's true. I'm going to wait and see). I mean, since most of you are here on TouchArcade, I'm going to assume you're all gamers.

Let's not even fight over details, we won't talk about if game designers are going to do it, or if you have the money. Let's talk about when it's full potential is realized (which means, when you do get the device).

A faster processor and a better graphics card isn't going to just speed up how fast your program opens, silly. It's gonna be "we'll be able to play A LOT better looking games on the phone". Just think better than Hero of Sparta and Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed (again, if it really is as good as they say).

A lot of people were arguing about how we can't make DS (is that the right acronym? I don't play console) emulators? If the processor's quick enough, we might be able to do that (this might be exaggerating, but since the new graphic processor will be a gen ahead, it should make up for DS having 2 of those things).

I don't even care about video camera (so you can record your dumb stuff and put on youtube?) or the compass (when you're stranded out in the wild, chances are if you need to rely on a phone for compass, the battery's going to run out long before your stupid arse find your way out).

Now if you don't care about games (but you're on TouchArcade, a iPhone OS gaming site), then yeah, you really don't need the 3GS. I prolly won't even get it until they come out with A LOT of crazy games (because I'm broke/cheap like that and I'll admit it, unlike a lot of you), but I'm willing to admit it's a great step ahead (and againx2, if it's as good as they claim it is). I don't even have an iPhone, I have an iPod Touch 2G (which cost 3 times less than the iPhone without policy - because I already have a crappy policy that I can't get out of); but if it's as good as they say it would be I'll have to sell my Windows mobile phone and get it.

5. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #65 1337brian, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    You can "Pre-Reserve" your iPhone 3GS through their website, I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting in line for awhile even with "reserving". The confirmation e-mail says i can go anytime of the day it launches to pick it up, but in fine print it says it's still on a first come first serve basis?... I'm going to call the Apple store later today, I'll let you know what i find out...

[EDIT] - Just called, turns out the "Pre-reservation" means they have your name on a list but if they sell out before you get there then you are out of luck (Some reservation). Not only that the contract is in my wifes name and she is working on launch day... Apple stores require the account holder to be there in person whether your an authorized user or not...
    Looks like I'll be camping out at my local at&t (Authorized users can perform upgrades) vs. The Apple store at the mall...

6. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Wow, 70% - 80%, that seems very accurate for a made up percentage. I gues I am in the 30% - 20% that are not trying to convince ourselves that we don't need a new iPhone. It's all about opinions, and my opinion is that my iPhone does everything I need it to (including playing games) so I, personally feel no need to upgrade. Sure, the new iPhone has many new good features, but they aren't quite the features I really want. And therefore I will not upgrade, and instead wait until an iPhone comes along with the new features/improvements that I want. It's not about convincing myself, I am already convinced that I, personally don't need a new iPhone. If you or anyone else wants one, that's fine by me. After all, we have different wants, needs and opinions :)

7. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    prices aralready on the o2 website, its like £200 handset plus £30 a month for cheapest deal. or £340 PAYG

8. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    £340 for the PAYG model isn't too bad actually. If I was going to get one, I would get the PAYG because I don't use my phone loads so it would work out cheaper.

9. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I'll wait for the next gen iPhone :rolleyes:

10. bitjokey

bitjokey Active Member

May 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Here is my situation, I have an iPhone 3G and a second line which is eligible to upgrade, I hoping to sell my iPhone at least $300 and use the second line's upgrade to get an iPhone 3GS 32 GB. I had a first generation iPhone last year, sold it and bought a 3G.
    Next year, my 3G's line will be eligible for an upgrade.
    So if Apple comes up with a new iPhone every year and if I'll be able to sell my iPhones at least for the new one's price, I won't be paying for new iPhones and get a new one every year. If it works, seems like a perfect plan to me.

11. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Yeah, I know, it was just a guesstimate, coming from experience with people, sour people. It could have been 10% less, but then again as you've implied, it's not exactly accurate. Like I said, some people actually don't need it (so they don't even need convincing), and you're one of them I guess.

I'm just saying people need to stop pretending.

12. Kyoshin

Kyoshin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    Yes, from day 1. :)
    Can't wait to peer to peer vs my iPhone 3G xD

13. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Yeah I dont understand why they don't just let you extend your current contract. T-Mobile did it for me.

14. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I answered no. I've got the original iPhone (wife has the 3G) and the contract is up in September but in the UK the price of the 3GS is almost the same as the dollar amount in the US. I'm also not happy with my service from O2 - over the last four months our local mast has been down for around 2 weeks in total.

But, for all those blaming O2 and AT&T on the pricing and lack of early upgrades, blame Apple. I phoned O2 on Tuesday to see if I could upgrade mine early, which wasn't subsidised as the 1st gen weren't, and I was told categorically no as Apple are not allowing it. It was Apple that allowed the early upgrades from the 1st gen to the 3G and, from what the guy at O2 told me, Apple hold all the cards on this and make the rules on upgrades for the iPhone.

Mix that in with the 18 month contracts (only 18 or 24 month in the UK, not sure if that's the same in the US), when Apple know full well that they're releasing every 12 months, and that just smacks of trying to squeeze more from those who feel they just have to have it early and will buy themselves out of the original contract. They also probably want to make it difficult for those with iPhones currently to upgrade so there's stock for new buyers to increase their install base.

I've never really been comfortable with exclusive carrier deals as it really is anti-competitive and gives Apple, in conjunction with the carriers, free reign to operate in whatever way they wish to. I'm not sure that's healthy for the market, if I'm honest, and that's also made me wonder whether I really want to continue to give money to them.

This might change if I suddenly get the urge to do some more dev work, but I'm concentrating elsewhere for now, and may shop around later this year and see what else is on the market. Still love my first gen iPhone though, when all is said and done.

15. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    I'm interested in the iPhone 3g S 32 gb, and I'm curious if it will be slow with a whole bunch of lag if I fill it up to the point where I have about 400 mb free. Anybody know? I have the first gen iPhone 8 gb by the way.

16. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    No, it will be far from slow. I normally have my original iPhone with about 200mb free and everything runs smoothly. And the original iPhone/ iPhone 3G is a just a bit over 1/3 as fast as the iPhone 3GS. The S stands for Speed, so of it will easily be fast enough :D.

17. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I have no job currently, Own a Touch 2g and have a very small mobile I use for the light chat and texting I use it for, so no :p

18. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    Okay so here's the scoop. I have an original 8gb iPhone. Not the
    iPhone 3G. Therefore I am eligible to buy the 3g S for the normal
    price of $199/$299. My iPhone is not jailbroken and I don't think I
    ever will due to possible increased crashing and risks. Should I
    upgrade to the 3GS? I am not sure if I should. Does any1 know that if
    I get the 3GS would I have to pay the ridiculous high price for next
    summer's iPhone? Is the 3GS actually a lot faster or is it just the
    3.0 software update? Thanks and I would greatly appreciate all