Will you be buying the new iPhone 3GS? [Poll]

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by LBG, Jun 8, 2009.

?

Will you be buying the new iPhone 3GS?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    32.6%
  2. No

46 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Maybe in the future

41 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Interesting article from MacUser in the UK:

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    That does seem a bit greedy. 02 is probaly getting enough money from all of the exortionate contracts they have with existing iPhone users. They should watch out though, if they insist that users pay off their contract then they could lose some potential customers for the new iPhone 3GS.

Anyone know what the price will be for the Pay & Go models?

3. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Same with me, got mine (through some miracle with a store full of iPhones, untouched) on the very first day. Our contract is ending at the end of June, so when that time comes along, I'll just get a new phone.

This phone has been great for the two straight years it's lasted - even when I threw it (accidentally) across a garage-sized room onto a concrete floor. But, I think it's upgrade time. Yay new and shiny things! :D

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    lol, I accidentally threw my iPhone several feet onto concrete (with a thin carpet on top) while playing SGN Golf :D. My iPhone has survived quite a few bumps now I think of it :). Apple has made it quite durable for a little device.

5. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Especially with my case. It's a random hardcase by Griffin. It's what I used for pretty much the entire two years. Soyeah, that'll be fun. I haven't gotten anything new in a few months. This'll be fun :p

6. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    C'mon guys. AT&T are just doing what any carrier does with a subsidized phone. You haven't even paid off for your existing 3G so how can you expect AT&T to give you a new phone?!

Also, WTF does Apple have to do with this?!

7. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    We haven't payed off our phones...yet? How much exactly is a 8 and 16 gig 3g iPhone cost ATT? So far I've payed a total of $850-$900 including purchase fees and bills, I own a 8 gig and I can't see this phone costing over $1,000.

Anyway I'm satisfied with my phone. I don't care much for camera higher pixels, I'm not camera crazy with this phone. I Don't need a compass, I had one with my G1 and it felt like a gimmic. Longer battery life would be nice, but I have battery situation under control, it's not with the extra $$$. The only thing I want is the faster hardware pertaining to gaming. And the OPENGL stuff sound cool. Hopefully the developers will take into consideration that many of us own idevice 3gs and keeping better game from there.

8. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    can u buy it without contract
    and when yes what´s the price

9. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    May I ask how you "accidentally" throw an iphone that far???:rolleyes::p

10. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

So if a renew my contract that i have one year left on it and push it to 3 years, will i be able to get the base price of $299?

11. qwerty12

qwerty12 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    I completely agree with you that there is no reason to upgrade if you still aren't finished your contract with your current iPhone 3G. I also was expecting a lot more new features that came with the phone. Sure they added some cool features, but most of them you can get on any phone with the 3.0 update. And I also wished that they changed the look of the phone a little. Overall I'm a little dissapointed with the new iPhone 3gs and will not be buying one

12. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Hopefully next year's iPhone supports video chat via a camera on the front of the iPhone.

13. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    That would be AMAZING

14. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I've been going back and forth on whether I'm going to get it or not. I currently have the first gen iPhone but really the only thing making me want the new one is if it really improves the gaming experience. I rarely use the camera as is, and I doubt I'd really use the video (although a front facing camera for video conferencing would have been a different story). I already have a GPS, and I really see very little use for the compass (at least for myself). I'm pretty patient when it comes to the edge speeds but as online gaming becomes more prominent on the iPhone and if they will work over 3g (such as "Livefire") it definitely becomes more enticing.

Then again, I did purchase my iPhone on day 1 so I do have a really bad speaker (can barley hear when my phone rings and my speaker phone is useless), my headphone jack gets a little funky sometimes, and it’s really annoying having to free up memory before I play a game, but I've dealt with it for two years, I guess I can deal with it for another year.

So really it's down to gaming, but who knows if the developers will really fully take advantage of the 3GS right away and isolate the rest of the iPhone users.

15. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah. I have an original iPhone but I'll think I will stick with it for a while longer. Nothing really major has improved since the original one, so I feel no need to upgrade at the moment. I like my iPhone though because it feels so comfortable in my hands compared to the 3G. You could even say that I have become emotionally attached to my original iPhone over the last 2 years, lol. It does everything I need plus more, so I will wait until an iPhone comes out with a more advanced accelerometer, a camera on the front and back and an OLED screen (or better) would be nice. At least I have the 3.0 release to look forward to :)

16. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I wouldn't necessarily go that far. From the original there are many improvements:

-MMS
    -Stereo Bluetooth
    -Improved Camera
    -Video
    -Double the amount of space (or triple in my case)
    -Improved battery life
    -Standard Headphone jack
    -Voice control (which out of all the features, this one surprisingly would have the most use for me, besides the speed improvements. Especially when listening to music in my car. Trying to navigate an iPhone while driving is not the best).
    -3G
    -More RAM (I think... Was this actually ever mentioned at the keynote?)
    -Faster processor
    ...And I'm sure there are more that I'm not thinking of.

The point I was trying to make though, is that even with all those improvements, the only one that is really temping for me is the improvement of speed for gaming. All the other improvements I've been able to deal with (sure it's annoying having to delete some music off my iPhone to fit another game on their, but I deal with it). So really it all comes down to how much of an improvement gaming will be on the 3GS for me.

17. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, they are nice improvements. But in my eyes, they are not major additions. I want a new design, better accelerometer, Much faster processor and a new screen. While the changes you mentioned are good, they are not really big changes to the hardware itself. Sorry, I should of specified the scale of the major additions I am waiting for.

18. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm tempted to get it since I don't have one yet, but I'm worried they will have better changes next year and I wouldn't be eligible for the cheaper price.

19. larrybeo

larrybeo Active Member

Oct 28, 2008
    The Design is the Same...

So that will make it harder to upgrade with me. If the case and everything were completely different, I would get the new one for sure. I'll see what OS 3 does for my 3G, and then decide.

20. larrybeo

larrybeo Active Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Why Wait?

Dude. If you are worried about this than just get the $99 3G. Holding out year after year because the next model is going to be better makes no since. Did you wait to buy a cassette deck in fear that compact disc players would become affordable?